Cornwalls

well...they are still at his house :(

I went to check them out, the tops were kind of faded, but with the right oil that could have been brought back I think.

the speakers appeared to be in good shape, but the tweeters were not working.

So, I thought it best to come back and consult you guys as to possible problems/ cost.

also, the grills were a little tough, but not that bad.

----------------

this is the ad:

Klipsch Cornwall: 15inch woofers, horn mid range, excellent condition, $500/obo.

----------------

Well, he didn't mention anything about tweeters in the ad. 7.gif Seems he conveniently (foolishly) left that out? Make a cheap offer of $250, maybe $300, to "haul" them away.

Just dicker with him, explaining that due to the cost of repairing the tweeters, you can't go over 500 bucks total for the purchase. Tell him it will cost about 125 bucks or more to get the tweeters repaired or buy used ones that work properly. They will be K77M tweeters, which can be rebuilt by you or somebody on this forum if you choose to go that route...all they likely need is diaphragm replacement. There are a couple of guys on the forum who rebuild tweeters. BEC (Bob Crites) is one of them.

I've seen water stains on walnut oil surfaces just disappear with one application of furniture oil. The stains didn't reappear either. Not saying that is the case with these speakers, but maybe. If you knock another $50 off your offer you can afford to repair the cabinets.

Keith

Edit> The stains I spoke of were white/light stains, not black/dark.

Let's pass on that joke, please...LOL!

The fact that you can still get replacement parts and fix the Cornwall's components says alot about these venerable loudspeakers. Even though the tweeters are inoperative and the grills a little ragged, they are all repairable (and affordable). If the seller is reputable, he should accept your lower offer due to their present condition. Like others have said, they should already be placed in your vehicle ready for the ride to their new home.

HI all, not to steal a thread or anything but I recently bought a mint pair of cornwalls from the original owner-1984 vintage, he had them at a yard sale recently and I happened to be in the neigborhood picking up some jbl s99 lancers off ebay,to make a long story short he was desperate, had to move ect. and after all said and done I took them home for the princly sum of $285.00. SCORE!!! now I have never seen these before and at first thought somebody made these cabinets, being plywood and all. but after some researce on your wonderful site I have determined that this was meant to be, on the back it says CBR, did I do good? sorry to ramble but I love my new speakers.

That's a really great deal you go there. I paid $790 for my 84's and thought I was lucky. Enjoy them. All the rest of us CW owners do.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:47:02 PM smoggyusa wrote:

HI all, not to steal a thread or anything but I recently bought a mint pair of cornwalls from the original owner-1984 vintage, he had them at a yard sale recently and I happened to be in the neigborhood picking up some jbl s99 lancers off ebay,to make a long story short he was desperate, had to move ect. and after all said and done I took them home for the princly sum of $285.00. SCORE!!! now I have never seen these before and at first thought somebody made these cabinets, being plywood and all. but after some researce on your wonderful site I have determined that this was meant to be, on the back it says CBR, did I do good? sorry to ramble but I love my new speakers.----------------

----------------

On 4/25/2004 10:57:13 PM smoggyusa wrote:

Right now I have a sansui G771 driving them, sounds pretty good for 125 watts per. any suggestions for better?

----------------

I suggest you do some research using the forum's search tools. We have too many varying opinions on the subject. I like tubes, others like SS. Best if you can find something nearby to audition once you decide what may be right for your room size, type of music and listening habits (volume, etc.) but please do some searching first and read up on some of our discussions. Hopefully that won't drive you away completetly!2.gif It can get heated at times but we still love each other.12.gif