Extend The High End Of Heresy 2s

JJJeffries

Why not just modifying the crossovers of your heresys?

i did that with the AA networks of my Scalas (the famous 1uF bypass cap, ask Al Klappenberger!) and the result is marvelous. More extended, open and detailed treble. Must be possible to do a similar mod on an heresy!

And this is probably the cheapest mod you can do!

The Heresy II extends to 20Khz, you are not going to hear anything above that anyway. A piezo! Yuk! Two pieces of crystal rubbing together to generate high frequencies oooooh there is quality for you. If you aren't hearing the highs, you need to check to see if the tweeters are even working or if they have dimished output. Replace the diaphrams in them, it is easy to do and Klipsch has the parts to do so. Either that or you need to have a hearing test to see if your hearing is up to par in those ranges.

I agree with Frzninvt. Unless you are doing this for your dog, I don't see the point in any speaker playing above 20kHz. In fact, most americans can't hear much above 17kHz! Now if you just want more pronounced highs that could probably be done with a crossover mod (or even with an equalizer or treble controls).

Thank You for all the posts. The Heresy's are performing flawlessly and my hearing is A ok.

There is an aura to having a response well beyond 20k. Father Klipsch and I discussed this back in the 1960s at a sound function in Grand Central Terminal.

He mentioned equalization and for those few an ultra high driver.

Mr. Klipsch was and always will be one of the special people I have met on my journey through this wonderful life I have enjoyed now in its 60th year. Mr. JB Lansing was another. Wow! Two giants in audio.

Best,

Craig

Rick:

The Murata Super Tweeters start at $1825 per pair. Quite salty. I may still invest in a pair as they provide an airy addition to the mids and also the high end. Then again, I have owned at one time or another all of the Klipsch heritage loudspeakers...also EV Patricians with the 30" woofer...Altec 19s they were wonderful and then custom JBLs that friends at the MIT audiophile club helped me create. We had them on a stage with the late Stan Kenton and his orchestra and asked the audience was it live or the MIT specials. Standing at the rear of the hall it was difficult to tell the difference. I sold them for $15k back in 1978.

If one doesn't want to hear a live performance he or she can stay home and enjoy horns and I dare anyone to say that sounds recorded. LOL!

Best,

Craig

On 4/22/2004 11:44:24 AM JJJeffries wrote:

There is an aura to having a response well beyond 20k. Father Klipsch and I discussed this back in the 1960s at a sound function in Grand Central Terminal.

I can't help but think he didn't deem it all that important becuase I don't see any of his creations going higher than 20kHz (per the official specifications). In addition, I believe the original Klipschorns only went up to 17kHz.

On 4/22/2004 2:54:11 PM JJJeffries wrote:

The Murata Super Tweeters start at $1825 per pair. Quite salty. I may still invest in a pair as they provide an airy addition to the mids and also the high end.

Call me crazy, but that seems like an absurb amount of money just to extend the high frequencies higher than you (or really anyone else human) can hear.

Ok folks I am a bit confused - I thought the H IIs dropped off rather dramatically after 16khz, with 17khz being the last reasonable SPL. That being the case, you would probably get more strength in the upper freqs with something that can go significantly higher. It may seem intangible, but I bet your ear tells you there is something different.

As to John Warren's stuff - I also have a pair of 2404 baby cheeks and his measurements seem right - upt to 21Khz in the right spot without significant degrading. They are a bit sweeter than the K77 and would be a good replacement but probably not do much as a supertweeter add on (but hell - I might try it for a bit later on in my project and report back 0 dang it, another thing to bug me).

An audio friend has a pair of the Murata Super Tweeters and he is coming over Saturday afternoon with them so I will have an opportunity of hearing and seeing them in my music room. Will give an honest call Saturday evening. Almost as excited as when I purchased my first pair of KHorns.

Best,

Craig

How many tweeters can go out as high as you wish? Don't really know, but maybe you should fart around with the inexpensive CTS ksn1016 tweeter. Do a search on audio asylum with piezo + djk. You will find many posts about this inexpensive piezo.

Using a 25v line transformer, a few resistors and a zobel with a small inductor, he and others have achived 103 db/w with flat response from 4k out to 20k. The transformer is used to step the voltage up to match the efficiency of k-horns, belles and lascalas.

Using $ 1800 tweeters with heresy 2's? Hardly cost effective.