NOSValves

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/23/2004 9:37:19 PM MAC1900 wrote:

Here is some info I gathered up on the 290 parts, it might be useful to you:

(2) 30/30 MFD 750 VDC Mallory Type "FP" (date code 3560)

(4) .1 MFD 600 VDC Sprague VIT "Q" (date code 4060)

(4) .047 MFD 600 VDC Sprague VIT "Q" (date code 4060)

(2) .022 MFD 600 VDC Sprague VIT "Q" (date code 4060)

(2) 25 MFD 50V Sprague "Atom" (date code 3660)

(2) 50 MFD 75V Sprague "Atom" (date code 3560)

A bluish device with heat fins, maybe a germanium diode?

Everything was original, no repairs were done (solder joints original, marked with red colour). All mount on terminal strips.
----------------

I think you misread the first one. it should be at 550VDC

Good luck finding information or someone that has truly owned a 290. If you try the HH Scott website www.hhscott.com you might find someone with experience with those pieces. I personally have never had the pleasure of hearing either one. The 290 power amp is real similar to the 272 integrated amps output section which I own and have rebuilt 3 now. The main difference is phase splitter setup. Should be a very nice pieces of gear. The 121C are said to be nice if you don't mind adjusting two volume controls. Add about $125 for the second 121C.

Craig

Bob,

Thanks for the complements. Its easier to do such things here lately if you know what I mean ! I used to do things like this all the time in the early days of coarse back then most here knew more or at least as much as I did.

Craig

I installed the 296 in my living room system with my Chorus speakers last night it was to late for any real listening. I left it on overnight and this morning started off with Norah Jones with my coffee this sounded real sweet if you ignore there to hot voice especially on the first track. It was sounding so good I put some more lively and familiar discs in the Sony SCD-CE775 which to date I have never liked with the chorus speakers. First up was Billy Joel 52nd Street SACD the 296 breezed right through without a hint of harshness. This is a major accomplishment with my living room system since the addition of the chorus speakers. I then spun Dire Straits and the bass hits are awesome the guitars sound very real and placed perfectly. My living room has never sounded this good and with the cheesy 775 player ! Next up Pink Floyd DSM SACD.

Craig

Thanks Tom, Craig did a nice job, did he not?

Craig,

More reviews please! I know you have listened to DSOM by now, well? well?3.gif.

Oh yes, are you going to connect the 296 to your Las at all? Also, email me with the balance that I owe you and I will PayPal you immediately. That is of course if you actually plan on sending it back2.gif.

Jordan,

Lets just put it this way the longer it takes for me to send you the final bill the longer I get to keep it 2.gif DSM was awesome ! The 9th track of Dire Straits "Communiqué" called "Follow me home" which starts like the band is playing in front of a beach really did a great job showing the 3D layering and sound stage depth this amp does ! I had to listen to it twice. I did my first listening on my Lascalas and it was very good but in there the 296 has competition it just can in no way equal so I feel putting it in my living room with my Chorus speakers is a better way to evaluate the amp on its own merits rather then compare it to a all out separates system which is just not fair. This amp is head and shoulders above the 272 in the balance arena it does all music very well while the 272 does great at some and is just not a very good rocking setup and excels at Jazz and Acoustics.

Craig

Jordan,

Your documented rebuild is now live on my website ! Luther of Wardsweb is incredible I mentioned it in the mirror thread to this on the Audio Karma website and 12 hours later it was live ! Just incredible service. I would love for you to write a letter or mini review once you have settled in with your amp to be posted on the page ! That is if you like it ;) If you don't pooh on you 1.gif2.gif

Craig

Cool Craig! I am heading over to your website from here. And the last time I had pooh all over me(when my son was a baby), I did not like it very much. So, I am afraid you leave me know choice but to like it. Geez, now I am seeing a first hand example of your strong arm tactics2.gif.

----------------

On 4/23/2004 5:45:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

(need to figure out how to turn the flash off on the new camera sorry)

----------------

I haven't read the rest of this thread past this post, but if you haven't figured it out yet I can help....

First off, you have to switch the A60 over to "Program" mode, which would be the big "P" on the Mode Dial on top of the camera. If you leave it in the green "AUTO" mode, you will not have control over it and the flash will fire when needed. Then, see that button on the back of the camera right below the shoot/play mode switch? It's the one with the little lightening bolt next to it. Just keep pressing that button until you get the flash to where you want it.

Hopefully this will help you if you're still having problems with the flash.

2.gif