Jordan's 296 rebuild step by step

NOSValves

Shiloh is trained to lift his leg on anyone who contemplates adverse action, Taylor1.gif

I figured you were busting your chops on something, so I'm glad to hear the Foreplay is done except for QA. When you come over, bring the Foreplay with you and we can compare it to the Macs and Blueberry. I'm sure we will hear more than 50% of the good sound for less than 20% of the cost, so you definitely won't be embarrassed9.gif10.gif

It also might help if Allan wants me to ship some Blue Note first pressings in the Pelican to LA. Gary has some Dead albums here for you, along with a bunch of others. I've picked up a bunch of jazz and hard rock CDs, so you better bring some ear plugs11.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/22/2004 5:19:59 PM sheltie dave wrote:

When you come over, bring the Foreplay with you and we can compare it to the Macs and Blueberry. I'm sure we will hear more than 50% of the good sound for less than 20% of the cost, so you definitely won't be embarrassed----------------

I was planning to have the foreplay sold by the time that I came over so I could have some cash to give you. Maybe I could sell it and get the money then ship it once we did a little comparison.

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:02:33 PM NOSValves wrote:

Taylor,

Thanks for asking about my Dad. He is doing very good again !! Let's just hope it stays that way. I;m glad to hear your keeping a eye on that bias ! Did you have to adjust it much when you checked it ?

----------------

No, it is just a little bit but I want to have it adjusted right at all times.

10.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:09:12 PM jorjen wrote:

Geez Craig, all you're doin' is makin' me miss it all the more
2.gif
. Now I am more excited than ever. I just hope I can finish the restoration on my Khorns by the time it lands on my doorstep!
----------------

No rush I have just the use for it until you do get them done 2.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:24:04 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:02:33 PM NOSValves wrote:

Taylor,

Thanks for asking about my Dad. He is doing very good again !! Let's just hope it stays that way. I;m glad to hear your keeping a eye on that bias ! Did you have to adjust it much when you checked it ?

----------------

No, it is just a little bit but I want to have it adjusted right at all times.

10.gif

----------------

The bias will vary slightly depending on what the wall voltage is at any given time of the day. Like here at my house my voltage varies from 112 to 122VAC throughout the day with 3:30 pm being the lowest time of the day when the kids get home and turn everything in there houses on until the parents get home and turn the unused things off 2.gif

It's the balance you want to keep a eye on if it fluctuates wildly then its time for some new output tubes.

Craig

Well 74 parts later and the amp is rebuilt. I'm to tired to fire it up or go through the long process of posting all the pictures. I will do so in the morning. I will also put the amp through the paces on the scope and post what it looks like there just for kicks sometime tomorrow.

Craig

Man I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time with the lack of responses and questions here. But here goes.

Yesterdays 9 hours of Thrashing

First up is the Dynaural noise suppressor this tube is a 6GH8 in the 296. All I do is replace the caps and on electrolyte with exact same values. This feature is basically worthless with today's modern turntable. I call it the Dynaural bass suppressor 2.gif

Before

noise_before.jpg

After Major Surgery

noise_after.jpg

First Gain Stage

These 2 12AX7's are additional gain stages that the 299 and 222 series do not have surprisingly I found that every original resistors were dead on value wise so I left them as is why mess with a good thing ! I replaced all capacitors with Sonicaps and a few Russian Film and Foils here.

gain_before.jpg

After Surgery

gain_after.jpg

Tone Controls and Gain Stages

These 12AX7's are basically Identical stages to the 299 and 222 series of amps. I did my standard fair replacing all Plate and Cathode resistors/bypass caps. Also replaced all capacitors with Sonicaps. You will notice the additional Sprague Atoms these were to replace the 25V section of the cans in the earlier can replacement procedure.

Before

tone_before.jpg

After Major Surgery

tone_after.jpg

Phono Section

Pretty simple stuff here replace 2 caps and unless the phono section is found to be operating abnormally when I fire it up it should be good to go.

Before

phono_before.jpg

After Minor Surgery

phono_after1.jpg

The final preamp Gain stage,phase splitters and coupling caps to the output tubes.

The importance of this section are monumental to the final sound of the amp. I replace all capacitors and the plate resistors to start of and then may revisit this area after the amp is tested on the scope. Usually nothing additional is required. Again Sonicaps were used. I upped the main coupling cap values slightly a interesting side note this is the first Scott integrated that I have ever seen with a reasonable value cap for the main couplers with them being .25uF stock I used .33 @ 600V here.

Before

split_before.jpg

After Major Surgery

split_after.jpg

Well here is a complete shot of the amp after the major work is complete ! Now its time to fire it up ! It should work without issue but you never know !!

complete.jpg

----------------

On 4/23/2004 2:24:38 PM mark1101 wrote:

Well... I don't smell any smoke. Did it work OK? What are Sonicaps? How do these sound compared to Auricaps?

Thanks
----------------

There Auricaps without the extended break-In (preburned in and tested at the factory) and without the 40% price hike they through at there dealers in December !!

Craig

Dang Craig, this stuff is like going to a double whole hog pig roast. You're the host running around after an afternoon of chewing on the pig til it can't run and drinking cold frosties into another work shift. And know you want me to tell you how the pig was? Here, let me shift around and burrrrp so I can talk4.gif

Still got some pig sauce on me, but it sure looked good!

----------------

On 4/23/2004 3:46:01 PM MAC1900 wrote:

I was looking at your photographs (of completed work), and was wondering why the capacitors in the tone, EQ, and loudness stages of the 296 were not replaced? You apparently spent considerable time replacing the others with higher grade metallized units, but why not these? The signal path also includes the other mentioned stages, why not replace them too? Those originals are likely an old polyester type cap, to me, it would seem beneficial to replace those also (even if good). I heard that polyester types are notorious for "ringing" at higher frequencies, is that true?

I look foward to hearing your reasoning and opinion behind keeping the other caps intact. I have a little experience with tube sets, but am mostly into vintage transistor (McIntosh mostly)----------------

Simple because they almost never fail and the cost of replacement is huge for no benifit at all for the cost and trouble. If you see the bill on this job you wouldn't want me to replace them either 2.gif Oh and the original were Film and Foil if they were new and not 40+ years old they would cost a fortune to buy today. Very good capacitors for there day but 40+ years old just the same !

Craig

----------------

On 4/23/2004 4:03:23 PM jorjen wrote:

Looks great Craig! I am sure it will sound quite nice as well. Let me know what you think once you fire it up. Thanks for the thread by the way, very informative and enjoyable, well, especially since it is mine
3.gif
----------------

Its fired up and on the scope and so far looking really good ! I'm up here to take the camera down for some screen shots.

Craig