Jordan's 296 rebuild step by step

NOSValves

Mac,

Actually this piece was made in the Mid 60's and almost all consumer gear in this price range and above used Film and Foil of some sort even your beloved McIntosh ! As far as tone control circuits there are a few reasons to just not bother replacing them. First off they see no where near there rated voltages which helps them last forever. Also if they were to fail they could not possibly cause any damage what so ever. With some 200 to 300 rebuilds in the field I have never had a tone control related problem yet and I mean never. Of coarse if a customer insists I will be more then happy to replace them ! Its there piece of gear and there money not mine. I personally think with the tight area there in you can easily do more damage then good replacing them by messing with the wires and such in that area you could stress them and have a failure that is hard to find and could happen at anytime a week or 5 years down the road.

Craig

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my Foreplay didn't work so now I get to go and recheck everything around the tubes where the voltage is messed up. That Simpson 260 was huge it was about 10 times the size of my multimeter! The tubes light up but one voltage is too high and the other too low. Well this ought to be a few fun hours whenever I get around to fixing it. When I have solved the problem I decided that I will be testing the rest of the voltages by myself.

Mac, sometimes operator experience does prove to be solid experience. If you have stories to tell of these caps failing and what you recommend, feel free to post all the available info. At this point in time, there is little purpose trying to strew land mines about for future use. It is a good thing to get a tube amp rebuilt to produce reliable, turnkey operation AND to still be somewhat close to being able to recoup costs, if not totally.

I try to save the "spare no cost" restorations for the equipment I can't afford2.gif

Well here are the results on the scope for my results. It puts out 46.5 WPC channel with one channel driven which is above its rated power and like every integrated amp I have tested so far it drops to 5 belowrated power to 37.8 the 296 was rated at 42WPC RMS.

The amp luckily seems to work perfect which I sure am glad because I have tons of hours in this one with all the documentation work. I'm not surprised since it was in spectacular shape cosmetically and electrically.

Here are the square wave results at 5 watts DC coupled

(need to figure out how to turn the flash off on the new camera sorry)

20HZ

296_20hz.jpg

The 296 is rolled off in the low region but no where as extreme as most integrated amps !

80HZ

296_80hz.jpg

1Khz Nice ! This is where we live !!

296_1khz.jpg

5KHZ Once again nice and where we live

296_5khz.jpg

10Khz things start to soften

296_10khz.jpg

15 Khz a little more roll off

296_15khz.jpg

20 Khz near gone as far as square wave goes.

296_20Khz.jpg

These results are very nice for a integrated amp. Is it VRD land? No way but still very nice for a all in one piece of gear !!

Here is the final picture post you have to end a thread like this with just how nice this piece is. My fingure prints are litterally all over this piece 1.gif Its so nice I;m afraid to polish it and will leave that to Jordan since he did the job so well the first go around !!

296_front1.jpg

Tubes a glowing and music a flowin !!!

296_top.jpg

Taylor,

I know this is way far down from your post but if you are going to measure the voltages yourself. Remember the mantra:

"ONE HAND FOR THE AMP, ONE HAND FOR THE BACK POCKET!"

It might save you from injury, or worse.

Even though Dave says that you are just a snot nosed, smart a$$ed, teenaged punk, the rest of us still like you.2.gif

Rick

Bkrop,

Do you mean besides "Very Rare Disease"2.gif.

Craig,

Thanks for the time and effort you put into the 296 my friend. And, thanks again for this thread, well done! I know that when I get her back she will sing. And do not worry about the finger prints, that's nothin'. Oh, and now I see what you mean about my wood case not fitting over the KT-66's, does'nt even look close. Oh well, anyone need a nice "G" size(large)Scott case? Nice after I restore it of course. I can never seem to leave anything alone if I can make it look better, sheeeesh2.gif.

Mac, $100 is a screaming deal for these two Scotts, as long as the transformers are good. You will want to get them sorted before monkeying with them.

Taylor, the hand in your back pocket is a literal truth. I have seen a friend ground himself to a metal cabinet, and do the 60 cycle for a brief time before I tackled him. He was pissed for three days.

Thanks, Rick11.gif

----------------

On 4/23/2004 8:19:43 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Mac, $100 is a screaming deal for these two Scotts, as long as the transformers are good. You will want to get them sorted before monkeying with them.

Taylor, the hand in your back pocket is a literal truth. I have seen a friend ground himself to a metal cabinet, and do the 60 cycle for a brief time before I tackled him. He was pissed for three days.

Thanks, Rick
11.gif
----------------

Heck if I didn't get a shock now and then I would go into a permanent coma ! Seriously Taylor be careful with the preamp on DC Voltage can really shake your joints !

----------------

On 4/23/2004 7:04:20 PM MAC1900 wrote:

Craig,

After seeing the quality of the H.H. Scott units, I've decided to purchase two pieces that I saw locally a while back, I bought them about an hour ago. The first looks to be a dedicated power amplifier, it says type 290 on the front pane. The second piece is a preamplifier, type 121-C. I paid $50 US Currency total for both pieces, was I made a fool of? Both are in reasonable shape for the age. Can you provide details on either piece? Are they good?

The 121-C does not seem to work. One tube (6X4) glows violent red colour when turned on. The 290 has a broken 6CA4 tube (base), but glass is not broke. It seems to work nicely, but has a loud buzz (bad tube?).

Do you work on units outside the US, and if yes, what would be an estimate for both devices (full modifications and quality parts)?

Do any members here run either device?

Thanks in advance!
----------------

You bought a 290 power amp and a 121C from the same place ? The 121C is a mono preamp and the 290 is a stereo power amp ! They really do not mate together very well 2.gif

Yes if your willing to send them I'm more then willing to rebuild them for you. Its hard to estimate actual cost with never seeing a piece of gear and testing it. I would have to guess $350 plus return shipping for both piece would be close give ot take a buck or two. But this is a absolutel roughe estimate. With only one 121C I see no sense in doing anything with that I would get a different preamp if I was you.

Craig