amps?

ez8947

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know the vintage stuff is supposed to be good, lord knows I have no experience there, but what about some of the new stuff out right now? Someone mention Arcam i've heard some good things about them, sounds expensive though. As important as quality or maybe more so is budget. To easy to get carried away.

That's interesting. My livingroom is connected to a kitchen with a half high, half long wall. Another wall leads to the entry way, and a third a long hallway. Topped off with cathedral ceilings it becomes a pretty big (non acoustic friendly) space. Oh yeah the fourth wall is graced with a beautiful (BIG, SMOOTH, HARD) white marbel fireplace.

The sound just seems to dissipate in such a large area. I go after realism, I listen to all types of music (jazz, rock, folk) and I want to feel as though I'm there first row, center stage. That's one thing that drew me to the Klipsch they seem to really push out the sound.

Oh I know what you mean for sure. I listen to music all day and have to refrain from the rock concert syndrome to save my ears 1.gif My Lascalas are in a much smaller area and I can not no way push my 60 watt tubes amp to there full potential in my area it gets just to loud ! I can easily hit 115 to 120dB peaks with ear muffs on 1.gif

Craig

The concert DVD's are awesome. I'm jammin Eric Clapton Unplugged, Tom Petty-High Grass Dogs, Eagles-Hell Freezes Over, James Taylor-Live at the Beacon, Jim Croce, Pink Floyd-The Wall, Tesla-Five Man Acoustical Jam, Blues Traveler-Thinnest of Air, Billy Joel-At Yankee Stadium, Matchbox 20, the list goes on and on and on. ooh, B.B. King-Blues Summit Concert 3.gif Only in stereo, none of that dolby stuff. Save that for movies.

----------------

On 4/22/2004 10:03:09 PM ez8947 wrote:

I am going to purchase an amp in the near future. Can anyone recommend a clean, warm, 150-200 watt two channel amp in the $600-$1000 range that will mate well with KLF 20's? It will be hooked up via an A/V receiver pre-outs.

----------------

ez8947,

The scenario you've outlined above is not what I would consider a recipe for great audio from your KLF-20's.

The "majority" of A/V receiver preamp sections produce truly brutal, and brittle sound.

You should not need 150-200 watts to fill the dimennsions you've discribed. If you insist on a high watt SS power amp, a good tube preamp should be a complimentary blessing. The Monarchy Audio SM-70 Amplifier could be a good option for a "new" ss power amp.

Used options could include some of the designs by Pass Labs, The Aleph 3 comes to mind, though the heat put out was an issue with some owners. I heard one recently.

And yes, I owned a pair of KLF-20s.

Klipsch out.

I agree with Jazzman, but it sounds like you do HT, and use the processor in your receiver for that? The Monarchy's have a reputation for good sound with Klipsch.

Chuckears recommended a good amp, and if you're patient, they come up used on www.audiogon.com on occasion.

Parasound amps, using MOSFETs seem to work well with Klipsch, as well as used MacIntosh.