DeanG's RF7 Crossovers... A review.

m00n

I'll likely be taking Dean up on the Mod this summer. I was looking at buying new cables, but am not convinced yet. Judging by the reviews, the money spent on the crossover rebuild would be better spent. I just have to take them out when my wifes not looking, better not to have to explain... Dean, maybe you should position it that way...Before spending $425 buck in cables, spend it on Crossovers.

Also, I think thats the price from previous posts, but it may be helpful (if you're allowed to) to print the price in your profile somewhere?

I got a great deal from fellow Forum member, AVMan in New Orleans. Was a long drive, but well worth it. They look and sound great!

----------------

On 4/26/2004 9:52:17 AM Georg F. Handel wrote:

Texas42,

Where did you end up getting your RF-7's?

----------------

----------------

On 4/27/2004 9:30:44 AM texas42 wrote:

I got a great deal from fellow Forum member, AVMan in New Orleans. Was a long drive, but well worth it. They look and sound great!

----------------

On 4/26/2004 9:52:17 AM Georg F. Handel wrote:

Texas42,

Where did you end up getting your RF-7's?

----------------

----------------

Glad it worked out for you.....same store/salesman I got mine from......

must have been a long drive back with two huge speakers in back....hehehehe

thanks,tex.

wish my schedule would have allowed y'all to come by my ht room. maybe next time you are in town.

mOOn-thanks for the review.well done,and you spelled most of your words right2.gif

deang-

i may be interested in upgrading the x-overs in my '82 cornwalls...$$'s are tight right now,but toward the last 1/4 of the year should be o.k.

what kind of 'magic' might i expect w/a '82 cornwall-deang x-over upgrade?

thanks,

avman.1.gif

m00n: Thanks for the highly-detailed and very thoughtful review. It is members such as you (and Dean) that make the Klipsch forum what it is: The best audio forum on the web! - Picky 2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It was an awful sight Rick. People where screaming and howling, stopping up their ears and looking for the nearest exit. Several were trampled alive, and I felt kind of bad.

Then we hooked up the RF-7s.9.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dean, Will these new crossovers tame the highs on live music on my

Krell 400xi ss amp and Klipsch ref 7s. Tuner, Marantz, sounds fine. Best wiring includind M1000 and top speaker biwire. Even changes cord on SACD. Please if you can get me an address, price,

how long. Also, no mechanical genious. No sodering tools. Sure you got the picture.

I have to say that one of the most impactful upgrades/additions/money spent were the new crossovers that I purchased from Dean for my Belles. If you have Heritage Klipsch and you havent refreshed the networks and youre spending money on tube rolling or cables or other marginal gain tweaks get with it spend the bucks on the networks. We have all read and know that old amps need to have the caps replaced. We have read over and over about the terrific work that Craig does on these old workhorses. The same is true with the networks. The work on my vintage amps not withstanding the network refresh and upgrade is the best dollar I have spent in hifi.

josh

----------------

On 4/26/2004 11:16:43 AM DeanG wrote:

Nice Job Rick. It's not easy to describe sound, especially as it pertains to changes in a system. I've just about given up trying to do it. I'm down to, "like it better" or "like it less".
9.gif

Hey folks, if you can get the crossovers out of your speakers and to my front door -- I can do them. It doesn't matter what speaker it is. I'm also ready to roll on the Type As, AAs, and Bs. I had to wait on Bob Crites who was in the middle of doing something really cool, and I'll post on that later.

I'm in SONET class all week, so I won't be posting much. Please be good to each other.

M Hen.

----------------

First off I got to thank mOOn for the great review. Now Dean what about synergys'? Are they worthy of your work?

Bill

----------------

On 7/9/2005 11:05:25 PM DeanG wrote:

Probably, I think any speaker benefits. I would at least do the caps in series with the tweeter.

----------------

I wouldn't mind trying it if I could get the crossovers out. Right now would be perfect timing for me. I have my brothers heresy's to listen to.

----------------

On 7/10/2005 10:20:46 PM DeanG wrote:

Saw your email before bed last night. Which Synergy's do you have?

----------------

sf-2, ss-1 center I do believe thats the one that matches the sf-2. Minty condition ( Untill I tear out the crossovers ; ) bought them before best buy had them. I actually like them quite a bit, but I wouldn't mind anything to open em up a little more without adding more watts.