NOS Valves rebuilt 299a for sale w/pics

AnalOg

I'm just bumping this back up with pics!

Hey All,

Gots my 299 up for sale here. I don't use it anymore, the MarkIII's are full time duty, its the sound I like.

The Scott comes with a custom case that I purchased here on the forum from a member who was building them custm, forgot his name, but I believe he sold quite a few here. The el84 are new JJ"s with about 100 hrs on them. The rectifier is a new Sovtek, the preamp 12ax7's are RCA's. The phase splitters are NOS but don't recall the make. I say the whole set up is a 8 out of ten in terms of looks.

I'm asking for $595.00 for the total case and amp package plus shipping, if your interested in some pics I will take some of the outer and inners if you like. Let me know.

Thankx,

Tom

post-10696-1381925421881_thumb.jpg

Gary,

Thanks for the input.

Ryan,

I guess in life anything can happen anytime, but that doesn't stop us from getting out of bed every morning, atleast not I. This Scott has served me well for the year I've used it, I don't claim that something can't go wrong, but rest assured if a buyer on this forum ends up with any issues with this unit I have a compitent tech that can help me out!

Tom

----------------

On 4/29/2004 1:26:05 PM Ryan C Inman wrote:

The only problem I see from the photograph is that the original 30-20 filter capacitors are still intact. That will definitely pose a future problem to whomever buys this amplifier. Those capacitors were made in 1959-60, and are due to fail at any moment now. They will fail, could be a year from now or tomorrow, but they always fail.

No attacks here, just fact.

-Ryan
----------------

Just curious Ryan, do you replace the 30-20 filter caps on all your Scott rebuilds?

Tom

Ryan,

At some point, everyone's hair turns grey also! As you know, Craig backs up his work 110%. If something fails, he'll fix it. He even answers his phone!

If I were a potential buyer, I'd be more comfortable knowing it's backed by NOSValves with the old caps in place then anyone else with the caps replaced. Did that sentence make sense?4.gif

Edit: Oops. Forgot I wasn't going to respond to anymore of Ryan's posts. Everyone please ignore this post. 9.gif

If anyone from the Klipsch forum buys this amp they are more then welcome to have it sent here for testing and if they choose I can replace the cans. There will be no bench charge for testing and only actual shipping cost to return it. If they want to have the cans replaced they will be charged my normal parts plus labor for the work and trust me there is no profits in replacing the cans. Every customer gets to choose what is done with there amp when it arrives here I'm not like some Tech's that takes there amp does whatever HE pleases and then say "you owe me XXXXX" I talk to my customers and tell them the options if there cans still perform up the spec they can choose if they want the cans replaced. Of coarse if there bad at the time of testing there is no choice to make. With me the customer is in control.

Yes the cans will sooner or later fail this could be 20 years from now it could be tomorrow. This is written in every estimate I send out.

This post may have not been a attack but it was definitely not appropriate or ethical. Some more baiting !!

Craig

WOW!! I can't believe no takers on this Scott. Is it the wrong time of year, I don't think the price is to high, or the Scott craze is over? Oh, I know Ryans sly remarks of the filter caps going bad any minute....NOT.

Give me some feed back guys, hate to go the Ebay/Audiogon route.

Tom4.gif

Tom,

It is absolutely the wrong time of year to sell your gear ! Stereo stuff is ruled by the wheather the nicer the wheather the less demand ! Plus the constant trashing of certain amps by a particular person that was done for his own selfish reasons surely hasn't helped.

Craig

Tom,

I recently sold my Nos Valves 299A to a forum member after I replaced it with a 299B (also Nos Valves). I bought the "B" for the "Extra" input is has. Anyway, I had originally planned to use the "B" in my main system while shopping for a monoblocs/pre amp combination and then move it to a second system. So far, this dang thing sounds so nice I haven't felt the need to follow through with my plan. Not to mention Craig is a kick to deal with. Also, I have the same case you do, only stained a little more reddish in color.

Loving my 299,

Chris

PS For those listening to vinyl, I recommend the new Nora Jones record either from Blue Note or Classic Records. I realize the more popular she gets, the less some people will think of her. Too bad for them, this is a really great album.

Chris,

It does sound great for what it is. I was going to put together a second system but that never surfaced. My main systems synergy is so compelling to me that I don't have the desire to switch the Scott in & out for kicks. It's just sitting collecting dust, feel bad to see that so it has to go to someone that can enjoy & appreciate it.

Tom

----------------

On 4/30/2004 2:35:28 PM ChrisK wrote:

Tom,

I recently sold my Nos Valves 299A to a forum member after I replaced it with a 299B (also Nos Valves). I bought the "B" for the "Extra" input is has. Anyway, I had originally planned to use the "B" in my main system while shopping for a monoblocs/pre amp combination and then move it to a second system. So far, this dang thing sounds so nice I haven't felt the need to follow through with my plan. Not to mention Craig is a kick to deal with. Also, I have the same case you do, only stained a little more reddish in color.

Loving my 299,

Chris

PS For those listening to vinyl, I recommend the new Nora Jones record either from Blue Note or Classic Records. I realize the more popular she gets, the less some people will think of her. Too bad for them, this is a really great album.

----------------

Hey Chris-

Bring it over and we'll have a listen! And maybe spin a few deep-groove flat-edge jazz records too!

Still no monoblocks? I thought you'd ordered a pair from Cyrus!

Allan

----------------

On 4/30/2004 3:26:42 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Hey Chris-

Bring it over and we'll have a listen! And maybe spin a few deep-groove flat-edge jazz records too!

Still no monoblocks? I thought you'd ordered a pair from Cyrus!

Allan

----------------

Allan,

I was getting ready to order a pair from Cyrus, then I heard my buddy rave about his MC225/Corn combo. Soon after he got another 225, set both up as monoblocs and was even further impressed. Add that to hearing your MC30's/Corn rig and I began to think Mac might be the way. Anyway, right now I'm in brain-lock over what to do.

As far as a listening session goes, you're on! There's going to be a Socal Horn Group soire' at eso's home on the 16th. I believe it's pretty near your house. How 'bout getting together before or after? I've got a few more of the Acoustic Sounds 45rpm jazz series records for you to hear. Not to mention the new Diana Krall/Elvis Costello collaboration SACD is pretty good.

Chris

Cris, I'll vouch for Allan's taste in amplification as well, though my MC240 has been refurbished by Craig. It sounds wonderful with Khorns, Belles, and Heresies. I avoid owning Cornwalls so I can tell Colleen I often show restraint2.gif

RF's 299A will be an outstanding vetted integrated amplifier for anyone stepping into tube land. Ryan is right about these capacitors, also. I have had six amplifiers where the caps spontaneously failed. A Layfayette crashed and burned just as I read his post three days ago, and the one before that was a McIntosh MC30.

It got fed up, and I noticed a buzzing just before it leaped off the desk and started motorboating toward the door. After I opened the door, it headed out into the yard, and was last seen down by Cape Girardeau, on the MIssissippi heading down to New Orleans, singing a Johny Horton song. Then there was a Bogen mixer/amp, while I was DJ'ing at an artists' convention, where the caps caught on fire at the end of a Jimmie Hendrix tune. It ended the party slightly earlier than planned, but received a standing O.

The two Eicos that bit the dust followed in the Williamson tradition, showing true clarity with a slightly constrained bass response as they failed, and then dead silence that was dark and tactile, along with just a whiff of napalm and burning money. My DuKane 8417 based 200 watt monobloc was the worst, as it launched itself in a geosynchronous orit around Earth, centered over the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas.

The moral of the story is buy RF's amp, so you will have an amazing story as well!9.gif

Every customer gets to choose what is done with there amp when it arrives here

+++++++++++++++

That is a summary of my experience with Craig.

In the beginning he asked if i would just do the basic rebuild of antiquated poorly performing components. I listened for about 5 months.

Since I had 7 years of music listening to rock and roll nearfield at band rehearsals I think he wanted to get my opiinion of stock vs modded.

Then he did the full mod in late July of 2003.

Wow more soundstge more bass weight. I am so satisfied words just trivialize the experience.

++++++++++++=

Summary

Craig offers the Chinese menu aproach and gets you involved in what you would like to do with your amp.

A good learning experience.

I call mine; his amp.