Cornwall Dating

GRB

Due to corproate relocations, we have lived all over; KC, Wichita, Detroit, Dallas and now DC. We actually like the area a lot. Looks a lot like the Ozarks, trees and rolling hills. Only about a million times more traffic. I lived in Springfield until 1988. Went to Parkview High and graduated in '75. What part of town do you live in?

----------------

On 5/1/2004 4:46:22 PM GRB wrote:

Due to corproate relocations, we have lived all over; KC, Wichita, Detroit, Dallas and now DC. We actually like the area a lot. Looks a lot like the Ozarks, trees and rolling hills. Only about a million times more traffic. I lived in Springfield until 1988. Went to Parkview High and graduated in '75. What part of town do you live in?

----------------

Southwest... between Battlefield and Republic Road, just off Scenic... in an area that was still a dairy farm when you lived here, but is now houses as far as the eye can see (yes, Urban Sprawl is everywhere).

Both my wife and I grew up in smaller towns between here and Joplin, but came here after we got married in 1984. We love the area (although I have always hated the hot summers), but I still would sometimes prefer a less conservative constituency. St. Louis is my favorite nearby metropolitan area, and I could easily see us living there, if not here (although the Mrs. still has quite a bit of the small-town in her).

Thank goodness for the broader reach of the internet, and the ability to communicate with others who share my enthusiasm... most people around here think that Bose is the Best you can Buy. I talk about Klipsch, and they say "huh?", and I end up spelling it for them...

If the picture posted in this thread is of the Cornwalls you are looking at, they APPEAR to be decorator (D-style) cabinets, with moulding added around the perimeter of the front and mitered-cabinet-style grille cloth panels installed. To ensure this is the case, a good picture of the top of one of them or an oblique picture including the top in it would be needed.

I would be interested in knowing the history of them...when they were modified and in particular who originally purchased them and where. There are a sizable number of Klipsch speakers from the 70's out in the market that may have been originally purchased by employees who may have had them special-built to their "wants"...this was often the case.

Employees at that time were able to purchase one pair of speakers per year at 40% MSRP. They often kept them for a year (requirement of the purchase at the employee discount), then sold them and used the money to buy the next models "UP" in the line...until they got their K-horns.

Since employees often had speakers with specially-matched and selected panels for the construction (even for decorator models), and often incorporated features not offered as "standard options" by the company, this allowed them to get full-MSRP for them, or even more, when they decided to sell them. It also gave the second and succeeding purchasers a very unique pair of speakers.

The normal progression for these "up-grade" purchases was: first time buy some "special" Heresys , then after a year sell them for MSRP, take the money and buy either a "special" pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas, then after a year, sell them for MSRP and buy "special" K-horns or Belle Klipsch speakers...etc. If the employee remained with the company long enough, he/she would eventually have a pair of each speaker the company produced with a home full of Klipsch stereo sound.

Back when the company was still giving quarterly bonuses that often equalled or exceeded the employee's pay for the quarter, it was normally the case that upon receipt of the employee's first bonus check, he/she made his/her first speaker purchase. Bonuses were paid on a percentage of the net profits after taxes...basing the paid bonus upon the employee's earned wages for the quarter less overtime. This gave the base from which to figure the employee's bonus percentage amount, since this was also a progressive bonus based upon employee longetivity...IOW, the longer you were with the company, the larger the percentage of the bonus you got. If I remember correctly, after an employee had reached 4 or 5 years longetivity he/she began receiving 100% of the bonus amount. I won't go into any details as to why the profit-sharing bonus plan ended, but by the beginning of the 1980's it was history.

I always had a number of employees coming over and looking through speaker panels for Heresys and Cornwalls that I had set aside as having particularly nice figure/color/grain patterns in them so that they could find the ones they wanted for their own speakers a month or so before bonus checks came out. That way the speakers could be finished by the time they got their bonuses to purchase them with. Employee speakers were always very special units...both in appearance, and quite often in performance, too!

Within about a 100 mile radius of Hope, AR, there were quite a few lucky folks who ended up with very special "trade-up" speakers originally purchased by employees and re-sold to friends/family/etc. It would be interesting to know how far away from Hope some of these speakers have ended up today!

How can you tell if the speakers were originally special-built for employees or a particular dealer's personal use? The speaker label on the rear will have been over-stamped in red ink "SALESMAN ACCOMODATION...NOT FOR RESALE". Sometimes this red ink fades quite a bit over time, making it hard to see. In addition, if it was an employee's speaker, on one of the rear edges, you will most often find the name of the purchasing employee stamped into the wood there, unless the employee specifically requested it not be done.

It wouldn't really surprise me if some of the forum members have a pair of these "employee specials" lurking in their homes! There were hundreds of them built over the years!