Favorite Jazz Tune

garymd

This may be the only "Favorite" category that hasn't been covered.

Everyone has a song they listen to over and over and are always dissappointed when it ends. In my short career as a fan of jazz I certainly haven't heard nearly as many as a lot of you. I'm not asking what you think the "best" song is. That would be impossible.

My favorite would have to be "Amanda" which is the first cut on Duke Pearson's "Wahoo" lp. Maybe it's the Latin edge it has but I can listen to it every day and not tire of it. Anyone else?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So What" - Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

"Segue In C"- The Count Meets The Duke First Time - Duke Ellington and Count Basie

"Congo Blue" - Latin Soul - Poncho Sanchez

Only a few that I always start over!!!! When you are a "Jazz Lover", you really never want a great sound to come to an end.

Huhuru 10.gif

----------------

On 5/1/2004 10:54:50 PM TBrennan wrote:

My Favorite Things by Ornette Coleman.

----------------

Tom,

I have Coltrane's "Favorite Things" lp and it's great. I've never heard Coleman do it though. What lp is it on?

Not really a jazz cut, but I recently heard and then bought a cd that includes Bruddah Israel Kamakawiwo'ole singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World". I swear it nearly brought me to tears and even more so after I looked into his personal story. My appreciation for Hawaiian music is growing.

Chris

On 5/2/2004 11:32:03 AM lynnm wrote:

Castilian Drums on: The Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall Columbia C2S 826

This is a 13 minute drum solo by Joe Morella - magical!

----------------

Geezz lynnm, That is a fantastic solo by Joe. I've owned that album for a long time and I bet I haven't listened to for at least 25 to 30 years. (no TT for the past 20 or so) Your post got me excited to hear it again, so I went and dug up the old two record set only to find one record missing. Guess which one? Anyway, it was a great concert and dandy selection on your part. BTW, are/were you a drummer?

That album is available from time to time on Ebay. It was recorded February 22,1963 which was the night before my wife and I married so it has a special significance for me.

No I am not a drummer.

If you want another copy of that Brubeck send me an email and I can provide you with a likely source for a fresh copy.

Hello Posters:

Having been a Jazz DJ for many years and before that a Navy Journalist with Armed Forces Radio I was fortunate to cover the annual jazz event in Antibes, France in the 1960s and before that as a teen went to Newport, R.I. every year for the annual fest.

Having said all of that, I interviewed the best of the best and saw in person their artistry.

Erroll Garner...Gaslight...Count Basie...April In Paris...(many more)Stan Kenton...Moonlight In Vermont (Standard)...Stan Getz...Just Friends...Duke Ellington...Creole Love Call...Buddy Rich...Blue Prelude... (many more)many male and Lady voices...The Singers Unlimited...Jimmy Smith...The Cat...Dexter Gordon I Have A Thing About You...plus many other Jazz Greats.

In my collection I have literally thousands of hours of great jazz on reel to reel...LP and CD.

Best, Craig alias JJJeffries air name!

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention!