MY EXPERIENCE WITH A TUBE TECH

Curious question, I now have many tube pieces of gear all hooked up to modern equipment. I have never been told this cannot be done, and it has all worked fine without pops, noises or burn outs. Do I need to be concerned?

A PAS3 with new CD players attached to the switched plug in the back. All plugged into a three pronged power conditioner. Scott 299D has Cd player plugged into it.

I really for the life of me don't see what all the pictures are suppose to say, what I see is a 40+ year old amp with old pots, resistors, and caps. I also see some new parts that Ryan ( I quess put in). To think that a old amp like this is going to be trouble free without a tube tech gutting the whole thing and starting over with all new resistors, caps, and pots is silly. The work Ryan did at that price seems more than resonable to me, I mean take your car to a repair shop for a water pump,and see what that costs and than next week the old thing needs breaks and on and on and on. I do this as a hobby (working on my old amps) and have said to myself I wounld not want Ryan or Craig's job because of things just like this, (working with the general puplic). Any one that buys a old tube amp is shotting craps that it will work right one day, one week or one month. I mean why do think Solid State got so big in the early 70's, because people got tried of all messing you have to do with tube amps. If you were going to buy a new amp like your Sherwood built today it would cost between $3000-$6000 in todays market and if you want all this with a warranty that nothing will go wrong buy a new one. All I can say in closing is Ryan ,Craig and anyone else that works on this old crap that was probably sitting in someone's damp basement for the last 30 years or so, good luck and my heart goes out to you all I wouldn't have your job for nothing.

Three things I would not want to hear from a tube tech:

1. "The power switch was 100% operational when the amplifier was here both times, it was not shooting sparks, which I believe to be a fabrication on your part."

2. "You failed to heed my warning, and you destroyed your mixer, not my problem."

3. "I would suggest using a more modern, solid-state amplifier for your application."

The "fabrication on your part" accusation really shows some chutzpah, considering the person in question's track record of lies and deceit just recently exposed on this very forum.

Hello Jon and Ryan -

I have to agree that posting results of work on the forum is appropriate when done in the right context. It does now seem that there is a public debate going on that is specific to the individual incident, so I think the boys now need to take it outside.

I would like to hear both opinions when this is settled, but I am not sure that I am interested in Rebuttals.

Cheers to all.

Well I am glad someone else couldnt get anything out of the pics - I thought it was me. How about some red arrows showing what the problem is for those of us who do not have EE qualifications?

As for the story - bit difficult to sort out on a one off basis. If there were several complainants (a word?) over Ryan's work then it would point to him doing something wrong (probably).

With one person having a problem it just could be the unit itself or another, unrelated issue.

With a unit like this - and at the price it was picked up for it is always going to be a crap shoot. Getting a quote before the work starts is always a good idea. I think for me it would have rung alarm bells from the off - the price of the repair being higher than the price of the unit.

Add to that the possibility that further issues can arise with the amp after repair (caused by the repair possibly) and you are getting into an unknown amount for a lot of running around and potentially long periods without sound.

Maybe it would be better to write off the amp and go for something a little higher up the food chain. I am not saying that this is the case here - maybe it is worth saving - but be prepared for future failures continuously as it seems you have a bad one there.

Having just gone through a "flame out" on a tube on a new amp (well - a year old) from a source I consider to be completely trustworthy I can say tube amps in general are not to be considered the most reliable items on earth. What one can expect from an old one I think is demonstrated here.

I too, thought Ryan's response appropriate. Whether he is actually at fault here or not is very difficult to ascertain.

I am NOT familiar with either of these two parties, but I would like to point out what Ryan said:

I expressly warned you NOT to run grounded equipment with the S-5000. You failed to heed my warning, and you destroyed your mixer, not my problem.

You attempted to run equipment that was incompatible with the S-5000, and you caused the problem. I agreed to remove the line capacitor from the Sherwood (which I did) to minimize the "shock effect" only (which it did). This wasn't a guarantee that you could continue to run grounded equipment with the Sherwood.

I certainly wouldnt use sensitive tubes for DJ equipment. One big reason is that the tubes would be knocked around during frequent transportations.

Having been in retail for many years, I am also skeptical of customers who spend more energy complaining than fixing the problem: they seem anxious to shift the blame to others. Me thinks he doth protest too much.

7.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2004 8:20:01 AM Colin wrote:

Having been in retail for many years, I am also skeptical of customers who spend more energy complaining than fixing the problem: they seem anxious to shift the blame to others. Me thinks he doth protest too much.

----------------

I am skeptical of people who are bent on trying to silence a customer with a complaint.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 8:20:01 AM Colin wrote:

7.gif

----------------

Sounds to me like he spent a LOT of time trying to work this out with Ryan. At least 3 shippings back and forth? My guess is he's done with Ryan and having someone else do the work from here on. Right or wrong, It doesn't sound like he's come close to spending more time complaining than trying to work things out.

"The Sherwood can not be used to record to modern gear, this is true, it loads the amp WAY down. So I assume all those Scotts out there have vintage tapedecks hooked up to them OF COURSE!!!"

To those of you with Scott equipment: Scott used earth ground on their amps, no harm will come to them or connected grounded equipment from changes to ground potential such as this Sherwood or older HK tube equipment which also uses a "floating" ground at a potential above true earth ground.

From the photos I see a well done, neat, job as to what little was done.

Like Randy Taylor said:

"All I can say in closing is Ryan ,Craig and anyone else that works on this old crap that was probably sitting in someone's damp basement for the last 30 years or so, good luck and my heart goes out to you all I wouldn't have your job for nothing."

Man, is it nice to be retired!!1.gif

Rick

Edited

----------------

On 5/4/2004 3:33:21 AM doctorcilantro wrote:

Ryan's post well written and buisnesslike. It did not address some major points of my post and tried to over emphasize operator error. I am not calling his work shoddy, read my post; a VERY experienced technincian IS. You think he should have responded differently, well he has, via email, as I stated in my post.

And Keith you seem to imply, but your wording makes it unclear, that you would not have chosen to go public with this? That's your perogative but I am the type of person who would like to help others; I sincerely believe this will happen again and again.

People have a right to protect themselves with truth. Of course, it's making me feel a lot better about getting ripped off too!

jon

----------------

Hey Jon. No, that is not what I tried to imply at all. I was merely stating that the truth of the matter would be difficult to ascertain by reading both sides of the story here.

My point was that your situation would not be resolved by 'knife twisters' here that have no knowledge of the situation other than the posts that they might read here.

And yes, I'm sure we all appreciate posts detailing others experiences with individuals that may help us to avoid the same problems that you have had to endure.

We have read your side of the story and the other party's side of the story and can make up our own minds as to whether we individually choose to do business with a certain individual/individuals, without the input of those that have no personal knowledge of the situation and that choose to add their personal flames to the thread.

Again, I hope things work out for you. And thanks for the warning.

Keith

Thank you all for your input. I would quickly like to address the fact that many seem to be equating a DJ mixer with some strange, newfangled, and non-hifi device. My mixer was not destroyed. I am sure there are people out there with phono stages hooked up between there TT's and vintage amps.

I think that while there are some flames throughout this post it it was good to have people post their opinions on the matter because some good technical points and arguements were raised; even though the parties who posted these ideas were not "there".

It's funny how you read the posts that don't side with you and you can feel your blood boil a little; I have to take a deep breath and remember why I am doing this here, and realize that is not the right attitude nor IS it my attidue but a childish impulse. It IS time to take this outside, but for me, that means moving on. I have said everything I have to say. I know there will and can be more to say, but what's the point. I will leave that to Ryan's other customers.

I appreciate ALL of the responses, including Ryan's. I also look forward to being able to continue to communicate in this forum on a positive level with ALL of its members; if that's not possible I am comfortable agreeing to disagree...that's life.

I look forward to getting my amp back soon and hearing some music again.

sincerely,

Jonathan Catuccio

----------------

On 5/4/2004 12:06:53 PM paulparrot wrote:

Four posts from T2K, running interference for Ryan. Interesting.

----------------

I 'parrot' for no one. You should try that yourself. Your moniker fits you well, BTW.

Keith

I have to wonder who rebuilt T2K's amp(s)? lol

And T2k, who are you talking about when you say adding flames to the thread? Correct me if I am wrong, but do you have any personal knowledge of this? You keep interjecting your two cents, yet saying others should not? PLEASE. This is what is commonly known as talking out of both sides of your mouth. It is pretty ridiculous I think, but then again, those of us who have read your posts in the past are not surprised at all. This seems to be a pattern for you.