Country fans...

maxg

SWMBO is a bit of a fan of Patsy Cline. I went off on a hunt to find some of her albums and came up dry. In one shop (with around 5000 country records and no Patsy) they were selling off a bunch for a buck a piece.

I asked the guy to give me something close to Patsy and he gave me the following:

Barbara Mandrell - Moods

Carly Simon - no title it seems

Lynn Anderson - Greatest Hits

Anne Murray - New Kind of Feeling

Lucy Simon (Carly's sister I think) - Stolen Time

So what did I get? Any good? The only one of the bunch I have ever heard of is Carly. I did pick up some classical for me - but I am kinda trying to get SWMBO into the audio thing a bit as well.

Though not a big C&W fan, I do like Patsy Kline. Last year I found a mint LP of the soundtrack Sweet Dreams. It has most of her hits that I truly like. If you can find a good copy, go for it. The CD is readily available, but the LP sometimes surface as well.

Patsy%20Kline.jpg

I didn't know there was such a thing as "country fans"?!?! 3.gif

Anyway, on a more serious note.... Why did he give you something with Carly Simon? As far as I know, she's never done any country music. Her sister might have, but until I just read this thread, I never knew Carly even had a sister to begin with! LOL 6.gif

• Moderators

maxg,

I thought I'd post to this one because I have a feeling we have very few classic country fans on this board :) I could be wrong...

Patsy Cline is the greatest! Good luck finding some of her albums...

I'm not a Barbara Mandrell fan--never heard of that particular album, but she is very popular in country music.

If that's Carly's self-titled album, I believe it was her first. The first song on it (That's the way I've always heard it should be) was one of her most popular. I have to agree, though, she's not really "country." Cross-over artist, at best.

Anne Murray is one of my mother's favorites--also more cross-over than pure country. I haven't heard of any songs on that particular album, however.

The other 2 artists I'm not familiar with.

Amy,

there are a few - that is why I posted - there was a thread some time back which proved quite popular.

I am not big on Country. In fact, when asked if I liked Country the first time my response was "Which Country? Greece is nice."

Other than that I am here to learn and try to pick something up SWMBO will like. Opera doesn't do a thing for her sadly....

Max, I can see why any female North American artist that is not Heart or Mariah Carey would be "country" to a Greek merchant. But I have to alter your last statement:

"Other than that I am here to learn and try to pick something up SWMBO will like. Opera doesn't do a thing for her sadly...."

I would change the last word to "gladly"!!6.gif2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 5/4/2004 10:34:38 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Max, I can see why any female North American artist that is not Heart or Mariah Carey would be "country" to a Greek merchant. But I have to alter your last statement:

"Other than that I am here to learn and try to pick something up SWMBO will like. Opera doesn't do a thing for her sadly...."

I would change the last word to "gladly"!!
6.gif2.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick,

Sounds like you and she will get along famously. Send me an address and I will package her up for you. Now who has that famous heritage crate thingie?

Max,

I don't know how easy it will be to find these artists on vinyl, but on cd there should be no problem. Here are some contemporary female vocalists who she may enjoy:

Emmylou Harris

Suzy Boggus

Dolly Parton

Alison Krauss

Iris DeMent

Eva Cassidy

Kathy Kallick (sang at our wedding, in the group "The Good Ol' Persons")

k.d. lang (you've GOTTA get HER)

Kate Wolf

Patty Griffin

Obviously, Patsy Cline (and other "classic" country artists) are readily available on cd as well.

As a side note, I have heard that Elvis' favorite female vocalist was Anne Murray...

Max,

Get Loretta Lynn's new CD Van Lear Rose. I have had it for the last week and have been playing the heck out of it.

Jack White of the White Stripes played on it and produced it.

She wrote all the songs. It is hard to believe she is almost 70 years old.

Oh Yea Patsy is great and so is Tammy "Why Not"

Danny

• Moderators

There's nobody like Patsy, IMO, so if you're trying to pick up something similar for her, you may strike out. There is a guy who works here who is heavily into Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Metallica, etc, HATES country music, but loves Patsy Cline. Go figure. She's simply in a class all by herself 1.gif

Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn come to mind, but they're a bit on the "twangy" side for most.

How 'bout,

Lucinda Williams

Roseanne Cash

Norah Jones (imho her new album definitely has a country twist)

Maura O'Connell

Linda Gail Lewis

and I totally agree with Fini re/k.d. Lang.

Chris

I saw KD Lang in her "cowpunk" days--AMAZING vocal talent--I even ran out and bought the album called "Absolute Torch and Twang." A few years later a friend gave me a copy of her "Owen Bradley Sessions" album and WOW! Damn this woman can flat out SING. Not my normal cup of meat, but this one gets a spin every once in a while!

B000002LE9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Rick,

Sounds like you and she will get along famously. Send me an address and I will package her up for you. Now who has that famous heritage crate thingie?"

Sounds like an old Hennie Youngman one liner:

"Take my wife,,,, PLEASE!!" 2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 5/4/2004 2:06:23 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Forgot about Alison Krauss... Love her! A lot of bluegrass, but the ballads are great.

----------------

Oh, yeah ... Alison has a wonderful voice and a great stage presence. Her latest concert album (in DVD) is fabulous.

So basically its Patsy or bust - but with some interesting side avenues to follow up on down the road. thanks for all the input guys (and gals) I'll mull it over and keep trying to find a Patsy (poker anyone?- not that kind of Patsy! Not that kind of poke either Fini.)

Anyway SWMBO fell asleep early so we didnt get to hear any of the "country" records I picked up. It was classical again:

The Beethoven 3rd Piano concerto was wonderful but the Tchaicovsky 2nd piano was pop-hiss city - what do you expect for $1?

Berlioz Lelio is a bizzare piece - half narrated in French interspersed with singing. Another $1 bargain of course but it doesnt look, or sound, like it has even been played - perfect sonics!!

Got some more to listen to another time - but sleep got the better of me.

Will let you all know how it goes with the country should SWMBO manage to stay concious.

Whenever Country and Western is mentioned, I almost always think of that 'Bobs Country Bunker' Scene from the original 'Blues Brothers' movie...

Waitress: "We got both kinds of music here - Country AND Western"

I try to avoid it, myself. LOL. But then, to each his/her own! 4.gif

Well I did a bit of listening to the list of albums I bought:

Carly Simon - no title it seems

Lynn Anderson - Greatest Hits

Anne Murray - New Kind of Feeling

Lucy Simon (Carly's sister I think) - Stolen Time

I didnt get around to Barbara Mandrell - Moods - somehow it doesnt inspire but I will give it a go at some time.

In the meantime I can confirm that Carly, Anne and Lucy are not what I would call Country. The Carly is actually rather nice - with excellent sonics, but it rather more 60's crossover into 70's than Country. Lucy is dreadful - no wonder no-one has heard of her. Lynne is Country - not my style but a pleasant enough romp in the background.

Anne is more of a crooner to my ears. I could see her with a small gig in an out of the way place near Vegas. Again - not my style and not country.

All in all - not overly successful - the majority will go back - but I will keep that Carly! - worth the $5 on its own IMHO.