OT: anyone do AutoCAD?

fini

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/28/2004 10:01:43 AM fini wrote:

Now, what will I need in order to connect some "home" speakers?

----------------

Quite simple... the sound card output is line level so with any preamp/receiver and a set of nifty "¼-phono to RCA" cables... you are all set. It becomes like any other input source.

I use an old Sansui to power my headphones as the soundcard's preamp was not powerful enough for them. Works flawlessly.

Rob

Mr F - Sounds like a fine machine. I personally don't feel XP Pro will be necessary unless you need to connect to a corporate network, but the upgrade probably wasn't that much extra.

You can share an Internet connection with your MAC. I believe the easiest way is by using a router. If you just had your cable/DSL modem connected directly to your MAC, go get a router on sale (Linksys, Netgear, DLink) and use it between your cable/DSL modem and your PCs. If you are already using a router with your MAC, the new PC should be able to connect to a spare port on the router and run just fine.

Sharing resources (files, printers, etc...) between MAC and PC is a different story, and I'm not qualified to respond on that (but since when has that stopped me before).

Have a great day!

dd

I've been using AutoCAD since 1984. I was also an AutoCAD authorized dealer for about 7 years as well as an authorized dealer/trainer for a number of their third party application developers. I've trained 100's of folks on it. And customized it for some customers too. Anything specific you need to know Fini?

It can do a lot of things, however it's certainly not all things to all people. And to put it to it's best use, you often have to learn & use an application 'overlay', such as LANDCADD or AutoCAD AEC.

Regarding your machine.....go with Windows 2000 Professional not XP!!....much more stable OS

----------------

On 6/2/2004 12:30:04 AM fini wrote:

Cool shades, Frank! (although I do miss the exploding head...where'd it go?)

----------------

It was giving me a headache to be Frank!

---------------

On 6/2/2004 8:55:10 AM artto wrote:

Regarding your machine.....go with Windows 2000 Professional not XP!!....much more stable OS

---------------

I've heard this a lot. When I upgraded from Windows 95 to Windows 2000 I did the obligatory review search on the net. Places like Amazon.com with people who actually had experience with Windows XP overwhelming said it didn't measure up to Windows 2000. There is a reason that Dell still sells Windows 2000. I got mine from Dell at the same time I got a new hard drive and Dell guarantees it will work. There was a glitch when I installed mine and I called Dell and a technician (in the Philippines) spent more than an hour on the phone with me, very relaxed, in order to get things going. Turned out the new hard drive needed to be formatted. Simple, as it turned out. I havent had any problems with Windows 2000, it is very stable.

Just my $2 (inflation) worth.

• Klipsch Employees

We use only Solidworks now. ME does not even have a seat of Autocad. All they have is autocad LT.

We changed over to SW about 2 years ago.

I only know a small bit of Autocad, Solidworks was a bit more easy to learn for me... it is an all GUGI program. Mostly point and click.

----------------

On 6/2/2004 8:55:10 AM artto wrote:

----------------

Well, it's probably too late for that (the computer is probably "in the mail"). I'm coming from a Mac OS, so this problem with instability (and things like viruses and worms) are new to me!

2.gif

----------------

On 6/2/2004 10:19:00 AM Frank Speaker wrote:

When I upgraded from Windows 95 to Windows 2000 I did the obligatory review search on the net. Places like Amazon.com with people who actually had experience with Windows XP overwhelming said it didn't measure up to Windows 2000. There is a reason that Dell still sells Windows 2000... Simple, as it turned out. I haven’t had any problems with Windows 2000, it is very stable.

----------------

Remember that most sites which discuss windows stability are looking at it from a corporate/server aspect... where rebooting a server involves having network downtime and is actually quite an involved procedure. I can see Win2000's more limited hardware support as a good thing for system stability in a corporate environment, but inversely so in a home environment where the machine may be used for multimedia activities. I've used both in home and corporate environments and I'd strongly recommend WinXP for any home user over Win2000. Both are quite stable.

The lack system stability in home PC is mostly due third party drivers and software (and Ad-ware)... but very few people are willing to live proven/tested hardware and very little software. Actually very few people leave their home PC's powered up months at the time.

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 6/2/2004 11:12:21 AM fini wrote:

I'm coming from a Mac OS, so this problem with instability (and things like viruses and worms) are new to me!

2.gif

----------------

We have one Mac G4 on our home network... and contrary to Apple's marketing, with OS9x it faired no better than Win98SE in stability. The initial OS X release was quite disappointing as well because Apple rushed it to market. OTOH, my experience with recent OS X updates is much more limited though...

One of MacOS strong points has been the limited hardware it had to support... and therefore the drivers are usually stable rather than beta's we frequently download for our PCs.

I think your largest frustration will be that all your familiar OS layouts, tools, and shortcuts will not be where you expect them.

Rob