Help me choose a new receiver!

cyclones22

Hello all!

Last time I posted here, I bought a set of quintet IIs and a ksw10 to go with an HK AVR 225. Well, now it's time to upgrade. I'm moving that set up to my bedroom and getting a pair of RF 15, a pair of RB 15, an RC 25 and a RW 12 sub. Any suggestions on what I should get to power these? I would like a 6.1 or even 7.1 (in case I buy more surrounds), but am not ruling out a 5.1 receiver.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cyclones22

You could buy and be very happy with a really nice Yamaha reciever for $1000. Heck, I bought my Yammie RX-V740 reciever right after it came out, brand new model, for less than 500 bucks, it sounds a heck of a lot better than my old HK AVR55 I replaced, which was over $800 when I bought it. 2.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2004 1:01:36 AM cyclones22 wrote:

Hello all!

Last time I posted here, I bought a set of quintet IIs and a ksw10 to go with an HK AVR 225. Well, now it's time to upgrade. I'm moving that set up to my bedroom and getting a pair of RF 15, a pair of RB 15, an RC 25 and a RW 12 sub. Any suggestions on what I should get to power these? I would like a 6.1 or even 7.1 (in case I buy more surrounds), but am not ruling out a 5.1 receiver.

----------------

Did you like the H/K AVR 225? If you did, you may want to consider sticking with a Harmon-Kardon unit. Perhaps for the new system, get one of the higher end H/K models, since you are familier with H/K.

Also, I do agree with the Denon. The Denon AVR3802 that I have sounded fantastic with my RF-7s (I've seen upgraded to out-board amplification). As was mentioned, you may find the AVR3805 (or perhaps some of "last years" AVR3803 on clearance)

For my MBR setup I was running a Denon 3801 receiver powering a pair of RF 15 fronts with an RCX 4 center and two RSX5 surrounds with an Energy ESL10 sub. The speaker setup is very similar to what you are proposing to get. The setup sounded excellent, but in my opinion a bit warm for my taste. IMHO the speakers deserved better amps so I experimented with several receivers until landing on... of all things, a Panasonic XR25. The Panny receivers are not quite as feature rich as some, but they have amp sections that have been compared to Krell on the big boards. The XR 75 is Panasonics latest 7.1 and can be had for well under 1K. Might be worth a try.

Jerry Rappaport

I'm runing a Denon 2803 and find it very detailed. Many others on this forum really like Nad. It's all personal preference though. Take some time to visit a few stores and audition the ones you've narrowed your choice down to. For example, some people also find Nad to "uncolored" or flat or neutral. Let your ears be your guide.

i would suggest the pioneer elite vsx-55txi or for a few dollars less the vsx-53txi.....

very nice receivers with plenty of power for klipsch and the features of these receivers are very, very nice....

the MCACC auto calibration feature alone is worth the cost of the receiver...IMHO.....

here is a direct comparison between these two receivers....

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/comparison/results/0,,2076_4155,00.html

street prices are about $900 or so for the 53txi and about $1100 to $1300 for the 55txi....

i have the 55txi and i am very impressed with it's excellent signal processing as well as the super low noise floor with my KLF-30's.....

the 55txi also has the i-link input to allow one cable to pass multichannel SACD and DVD-audio signals in digital form to the receiver....

cheers!

VSX55TXi

1.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2004 7:31:10 PM thebes wrote:

I'm runing a Denon 2803 and find it very detailed. Many others on this forum really like Nad. It's all personal preference though. Take some time to visit a few stores and audition the ones you've narrowed your choice down to. For example, some people also find Nad to "uncolored" or flat or neutral. Let your ears be your guide.

----------------

I have owned a few NAD which mated exceptionally with klipsch. This is only WHEN THE EQUIPTMENT IS WORKING! They have a great sound but even greater built quality issues 7.gif . Here's a good site for helpful opinions of people that have owned whatever equiptment your considering. I think it is very helpful. www.audioreview.com

A few months ago I was doing the same thing you are. I eventually narrowed my choices down to the Marantz and the Yamaha 1400. I was planning on having a showdown out the house between the two units, but the Yammie dealer was unable to get them in stock in time. I must say though that the Yammie would have to VERY impressive to have beat out the Marantz. The Marantz has a very low noise floor and I love the rich sound it gives. I had to significantly decrease the volume of my sub after I hooked up this receiver. The remote is fully progammable (including macros) and capable of learning. The functions given by default are awesome to begin with, but the learning feature means you can truly put the other remotes away. (This remote controls my JVC TV and DVD player better than the remote for my JVC receiver, before "teaching" it any functions.)

I highly recommend you check out these two receivers. You will probably see the Yamaha recommended quite a bit, and deservedly so because it is a nice machine. However, you should really try to listen to the Marantz as well. In the end, it's your ears that must decide though. All we can do is give you suggestions to try.

John

In that price range, Denon is a solid option. B&K makes very nice receivers but I don't know the costs and would guess they're quite a bit North of that range.

Yamaha's seem to get a bad wrap here as being too bright. I had a DSP-A1 before going to separates and I was happy with it. Pioneer Elite's have gotten very good write-ups and I'm surprised they're in this price range. If it were me, I start with Denon and Pioneer.

----------------

On 5/9/2004 10:44:41 PM Darren wrote:

In that price range, Denon is a solid option. B&K makes very nice receivers but I don't know the costs and would guess they're quite a bit North of that range.

----------------

Yes indeed, the B&K are some nice recievers. But yes, they are a bit more than the $1000 range. I believe their cheapest one, the AVR202 is something like $2500 or so (plus or minus). Unless you can find one used or are willing to really stretch the budget (or really good at haggling down a dealer), than that is pretty much a non-option here.

It looks like they don't make the AVR307 and below anymore. They only make the AVR507. According to thier website, they seem to have some new "CT" series recievers, but those seem to be geared for multi-room use.

I'm setting up a new ht so I recently also had to make the decision what avr to buy.

I found out that features matter a lot in ht. What helps the best sounding unit when it doesn't have the features you want.

Therefore nad and marantz soon went off my list. H/K? Good reviews everywhere but in that price range I want heavy metal - not plastic;-)

Take a look at the yamaha rx-v2400 - most (useful) features in your price range. I would not consider the yammie as sounding bright. That was back in the 80's. I had the DSP-A2070 in the 90's and it was sounding great.

I ordered the yammie but delivery was delayed. Then the denon avr-3805 came out so i cancelled my order and switched to the denon.

I did not regret! Great sound with my heresys, nice features, good looking, heavy quality, excellent finish and probably the best remote.

Write down a list of the models in your price range, then take a look a the features. Decide what you really NEED! Then when your list ist down to three or two models make an autition between them.

I love my Marantz SR-8300. It is easy to set up and easy to use. The remote can be downloaded onto a computer and you can reconfigure the buttons and features to you liking. The only knock I have is the remote locks up every once in a while and it is a battery "hog." However, I still think it worth it.

The Marantz sounds great with my Klipsch.

• Like 1

----------------

On 5/9/2004 11:20:20 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 5/9/2004 10:44:41 PM Darren wrote:

----------------

Yes indeed, the B&K are some nice recievers. But yes, they are a bit more than the $1000 range. I believe their cheapest one, the AVR202 is something like $2500 or so (plus or minus). Unless you can find one used or are willing to really stretch the budget (or really good at haggling down a dealer), than that is pretty much a non-option here.

It looks like they don't make the AVR307 and below anymore. They only make the AVR507. According to thier
, they seem to have some new "CT" series recievers, but those seem to be geared for multi-room use.

----------------

before you buy a B&K receiver or processor, you might want to read this thread from the avs forum.... many severe problems with these units...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=396816

1.gif

Thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm glad to hear that Denon and Marantz are good options because those are brands I can get for a very good price through some connections I have.

Thanks again.

cyclones22

Thanks everyone for all of the help. I ended up going with the Denon AVR-3805s. I should get it sometime next week. Hopefully my speakers/sub AND my new 52" LG rear projection lcd will arrive as well! I'm moving my old HT setup into my bedroom 11.gif

Thanks again. I'll post my observations once everything is set up.

cyclones22