MAGNEQUEST TRANSFORMERS

DRBILL

My usual sources for Magnequest Transformers (Dynaco/Dynakit) have dried up. Neither Joe Curcio at Dynaco Doctor nor Ned at Triode Electronics Online can produce them, citing "no response" at Magnequest.

If it turns out that they have stopped production of these original Dyna drop-in items, it is going to make a radical change in the landscape for those of us who use and restore vintage equipment.

Mark IV power transformers have not been available for sometime. Maybe the other shoe has dropped.

If any of you brothers know of a source for NOS or used power and/or output trannys for the Mark III's, I would be grateful if your could respond. I've got a pair of these on the bench, completely restored with all the upgrades, waiting for iron.

Thanks for your help.

DR BILL

I have them right here Bill ! I had them designed and mimiced directly after the opriginals ! In fact I have been running a set for 6 months now in my own amps ! I can supply all you need whenever you need them starting first week in June. Next up will be the ST70 transformers.

Craig

----------------

On 5/14/2004 4:49:22 PM NOSValves wrote:

I have them right here Bill ! I had them designed and mimiced directly after the opriginals ! In fact I have been running a set for 6 months now in my own amps ! I can supply all you need whenever you need them starting first week in June. Next up will be the ST70 transformers.

Craig

----------------

Sorry are the first post with no quote....

They outputs cannot be the same as the Dyna.

regards

Bob

----------------

On 5/15/2004 3:41:55 AM bobsherman wrote:

----------------

On 5/14/2004 4:49:22 PM NOSValves wrote:

Craig

----------------

Sorry are the first post with no quote....

They outputs cannot be the same as the Dyna.

regards

Bob

----------------

And why is that ? You truly think MQ has some secret talent or knowledge that no one else can provide ?

Craig

And why is that ? You truly think MQ has some secret talent or knowledge that no one else can provide ?

Craig

----------------

Secret talent... nope!

Knowledge... maybe!

MagneQuest is the owner of a the Peerles and Altec transformer business archives and a lot of other original bluprints unavailable to others, including the OPT made for Dynaco.

You can most certainly get copies of Dynaco OPT from other manufacturers. But they are likely made from reverse engineering. The MQ ones are made in accordance from the "source" itself. This, for me, is a certain kind of insurance as I'm buying a "reissue" instead of a copy.

Ah c'mon man, a "reissue" is still a "copy". I don't see how it can possibly matter whether you reverse engineer something to make a print or schematic, or use an original print. If it's wound the same way, measures the same, reacts the same way in the circuit, and produces the same end result -- it's "the same".

----------------

On 5/15/2004 10:25:19 AM NOSValves wrote:

Amen !!

----------------

Not to hurt your feelings, but there is a big! difference. First off the MQ Dynas are better than the original ones in several important way. Better materals, better insulation, non-magnetic hardware are a few.

The transformers that others are selling are not the same. The Dynas are very complex and no winder is going to bother winding them properly, even if they could. They might tell you they are the same, but do you really know. Only MQ builds the real thing.

regards

Bob