MAGNEQUEST TRANSFORMERS

DRBILL

It's the Baraka stupid.

Seriously, the real issue here is Baraka:

"baraka - physical manifestation of personal blessing. It can be transferred from person-to-person, or from an object to a person. May be found in people, places and objects."

Do you want your transformers made from old recycled metal crap onced used for all kinds of noisy purposes or old sardine cans or do you want your transformers made from fresh material destined to be a virgin audio transformer. Ideally the best transformers should have a special prayer for each winding and the hands of the winder should be spiritually clean. It is complicated and that is what you are paying for. It is kind of like the "karma" of the metal and the wire etc. Nothing worse than when someone's karma runs over your dogma. Everything matters. You don't know where those electrons have been. Always wash your hands.

C&S

----------------

On 5/15/2004 10:43:44 AM DRBILL wrote:

Some days I feel like I could start a fight at a Quaker picnic.
11.gif

DR BILL

----------------

Hello,

All I did was try to correct the wrong info you were given. If you need MQ transformers or info on them call Mike directly. 215-288-4816. before 11PM Eastern Time.

regards

Bob

----------------

On 5/15/2004 12:01:27 PM bobsherman wrote:

----------------

On 5/15/2004 10:43:44 AM DRBILL wrote:

Some days I feel like I could start a fight at a Quaker picnic.
11.gif

DR BILL

----------------

Hello,

All I did was try to correct the wrong info you were given. If you need MQ transformers or info on them call Mike directly. 215-288-4816. before 11PM Eastern Time.

regards

Bob

----------------

Bob,

All were doing is correcting the wrong information that your giving 2.gif Mike does wonderful work and no one is saying anything to that effect. What we are saying is he is not the only one that can do this work !

Craig

It is all in good fun. Discussions about the unknowable are some of my favorites.

Last night on the usual 80M band I was listening to a ham net, the one which involves veteran AM talk show host Art Bell, whose AM format involves interviews with UFO types (you know the experts who assure us the US govmnt just about has "invisible" technology, the same kind used by aliens, and why alien "abductions" are never seen or witnessed etc.) anywho, Art just got on air with his new ham radio, the Icom 7800 (about $12K) and his new Amp (probably another $5k) and his buddies where telling him how awful it all sounded, and Art, just like the rest of us was having to trouble-shoot his brand new $20K investment and sweating the fact that the stuff was having to be packed up and sent back to the factory etc.

Man, there is nothing quite like the anxiety one has when first firing up a new purchase when the dreams and original motivation for the upgrade has to go through those growing pains while you are thinking "why did I ever do this in the first place"..... am I a fool for gizmos?....etc.

I am not sure this story is relevant, other than we are all dealing with technology which exceeds our actual full comprehension and we are at the mercy of a bunch of

"invisible" factors.....

safer to trust the science and the logic.......and stay cool....

there is always a reason, and even if you do not know it, that engineer at the factory probably does.....

C&S

All were doing is correcting the wrong information that your giving 2.gif Mike does wonderful work and no one is saying anything to that effect. What we are saying is he is not the only one that can do this work !

Craig

----------------

Some cannot understand, some do not want to understand, and others just have an agenda.

Good luck

Bob

well doctor bill, you obviously have a few choices; buy some less expensive custom wound jobs or buy the top level MQ version, you have seen the craig can get you the former and if you decide on the "authorized reissue" from MQ I am sure that jeff can help you get a response from them and a quote, he knows the MQ people really well. another method would be to buy a junker ST70 with iron in tact and transfer the iron...regards, tony

MQ bought the tooling and blueprints from peerless and I think acrosound, I think jeff mentioned this as well...you can check on the web site or with mike lafevre for details...the guy is one of the gurus of trannies, his stuff is used by virtually every top tube amp maker...I suspect his dynaco trannies would be the "cat's meow"...tony

Sunny,

I agree with all you said except the he is Authorized there is no Authorization required buying some old prints and or equipment does not make you Authorized.

Also I own a Set of his Transformers and have completely tested them against the ones I had made. I will not bother toot my pwn horn. The reason I had them made was strictly from a supply issue Mike is not willing to offer these in a reasonable and stable time frame. He is just about completely into his SET stuff and the special chokes. You can't even buy his Dynaco Iron reliably through his Authorized Dealers they don't have it. He is a great guy and knows his stuff for sure I have spoken to him and bought the set I have directly from him. He is just busy with other projects that evidently are more important, interesting or profitable to him.

Craig

perhaps authorized was a poorly chosen term, what I meant was that three roads were available, custom wound with ordinary components, magnequest quality reporoductions and stripping a junker. I do not know enough about trannies to reccomend anything but than the stripper method, which ensures total compliance with original specs. regards, tony

"Saturday nights all right for fight'in, let a little action in..."

C'mon Guy, that's not what I'm saying. It would be different if we were comparing a quality transformer to one of lesser quality -- but that's not the case here. In fact, Craig did originally source out the part to someone else, and what was returned to him was unusable -- so he tried again. The second try netted a product that outpeformed both the orginal MK III transformer, and measured and performed as well as the Magnequest unit.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 8:28:33 PM NOSValves wrote:

That old Guy Landau charm is a shining.
----------------

Nothing to do with that. I'm trying to prove another point of view here. I'll quote Daniel R von Recklinghausen again " If it measures good and sounds bad - it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing"

How do you decide which component (any component - incl. capacitors and transformers) is good? good for what? Do you use your ears in that process?

I'm trying to lead to a civilized discussion.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 7:39:22 PM DeanG wrote:

I do have a rudimentary understanding of transformers and their general construction. I bet "Maqnequest quality" is actually achieved with "ordinary components". You know, stuff like metal and wire.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif">

----------------

There is much more to it.

People who care will understand the difference. People who really appreciate quality will continue to buy the real thing. People like yourself who find it easy to demean other peoples hard work and accomplishments wont.

regards

Bob

Bob -- where did I demean anybody's work? Are you referring to fact that I did not elevate Mike's work above everyone else's? Might I point out that it is actually you who are demeaning the work of another, in that you assume inferiority of the other transformer, and you have absolutely no basis or grounds on which to do so. You haven't seen them, measured them, used them in any amps, or actually compared them with the Magnequests. Have you considered the possibility that there might actually be someone with more experience and knowledge regarding transformers and their manufacture than Mike?

It's a freaking transformer for cry'in out loud. Wind it right and wind it tight -- what the hell else is there? Since you say there is so much more, please explain it to me.

"How do you decide which component (any component - incl. capacitors and transformers) is good? good for what? Do you use your ears in that process?"

Is this a rhetorical question?

In many successful products the raw materials in many cases can be quite ordinary or average.

The design, formula, manufacturing process or some other aspect of the product may be quite unique and is of signaificant value to the performance.