For Atkins dieters and/or gun owners..

Not to dissagre.. OK, I will here with an example..

Note this is not me, but a friend who also went on Atkins.. Very successful at it too.

He was 345 when he started ...no excersize, tried everything, nothing worked "for him." Everyone said he was nuts too.

Today 180 lbs on a 6' 2" frame.. Very active, works out, walks, runs a little.. When he sees me he almost cries every time gives me a hug and said thanks buddy!! You saved my life!! Blah blah blah///

Most of you who responded have never read the book. So it is unfair because you do not understand the real principles. I suggest reading it and understanding it like a "diet bible" if your gonna go on Atkins, do NOT do it without the book.

At 345lbs he did not feel like excersizing at all, he was diabetic.. (He is not diabetic now BTW, no more shots or medications, his HDL and LDL levels, heart, are fantastic... (and his doctor who was against this diet is also a big fan of it now.) And he looks great too! His wife never knew him as a skinny man. For the last 4 years he has maintained hid weight, now on the maintenence level on atkins..., I am sorry but look around you too there are a LOT of great success stories on this.

Roger,

My point was not to knock ANY diet program, but to point out that excercise is the key to GOOD HEALTH, all a diet alone CAN do is help reduce fat, but it takes excercise to improve health, UNLESS one is SOOOOO obese to begin with that they have to reduce at least SOME of that bodyfat BEFORE they begin an excercise program, without giving them a heart attack or worse! There is a difference between just a DIET and a complete REGIMEN...the Atkins DIET is just a PART of what he espouses in his REGIMEN-plan in the BOOK...so whenever somebody says "get on the Atkins diet", they have to do the whole routine to really benefit from it. Like you said...read the BOOK and do the whole regimen...don't just get on the diet.

In reality, anybody with any common sense shouldn't even NEED a book to tell them what they need to do to reduce bodyfat and improve their health. The problem with most people who don't respond to diet REGIMENS is that they either don't stick with them or they don't excercise because they want to take the "easy route" and continue on in their aquired sedentary lifestyle, while still expecting to "lose weight"...then they blame the "diet" for not working, when it is actually their laziness or lack of self-discipline that is the root-cause of their problem.

In most cases when somebody looks in the miror and says to him/herself "I am way too big...how did this happen?"...the last thing they want to admit to themselves is the simple truth...which is generally that they ate too much of the wrong things for too long, and spent way too much of their time sitting/laying around. How do you solve that? Eat less, but of the right things...and get up off yer butt and excercise! It ISN'T rocket science...it is COMMON SENSE!

Every day, it seems, some new "expert" comes out with a diet or a book about how to lose weight. They make a fortune from this when overweight people buy the book, sit on the couch with it, and their favorite munchies, and read the book...it really IS ridiculous, to begin with, but that is what tends to happen!

One other thing that full-body excercise provides for the appearance of those on a "weight-loss" program is that if excercise is fully incorporated in conjunction with the diet part of things, and one is careful NOT to lose TOO much weight TOO quickly...then even if one's skin structure tends to lean heavily towards the "stretch-mark/sagging" end of things, the skin will have more time to shrink properly(and the excercise will hurry up its progress)as the body it covers does so...which will tend to AT LEAST severely reduce the visible effects of stretch-marks and skin sagging from dieting. Some folks just don't realize this, but it really works!

Andy, I agree with your points and yes were still friends LOL. I got a few IM's from uninformed people over my first post and it ticked me off. Exercise, even walking which for us older folk is a great 30 - 40 min way to keep in shape. That simple exercise of one walk a day, every day, at a semi brisk pace will do wonders. 60-90 days from that, you will be amazed.

I did want to add one more thing... You can't eat at Subway with the supposedly "Atkins approved" sandwich wrap 3 times a day, and expect to lose weight too. It just will not happen.

As far as exercise, at 42, I am not going to play 6-10 games 5 on 5 to 21 in basketball on a full court like I used to in HS or College... Especially 3-5 times a week. NOR do I desire to..LOL.

What I can say is EVERYONE and I mean every single person even if they only went on this for say a month, that I have talked to that followed it has lost weight and felt better. I know an amazing testimonial and testimonials do not mean squat...

And just so you know, I recently read in the Wall Street Journal a gentleman in the late 1800s actually was the first to publish the diet (Basically Atkins) to the masses... He was a mortician and noticed fat people died early whose diets were from bread and too skinny people also died early too from malnutrition of not having enough too eat or improper foods too.

He lived to over 80 years old, not common in those days. Now I wish I had kept the article. I can tell you this.. Just wait, or is that weight..LOL In the next 12 months your gonna see an amazing transformation at your local grocery store to low carb type foods. The food pyramid and what doctors have taught us the last 50+ years is not working anymore. (Or did it ever work, there is a LOT of debate on it.) And it is not only in the USA but elsewhere too.

Just no need to go farther on it on this board.. I know it works, it works for me, and that's all I need to know anyhow.

Back to audio!

My aunt went on the low carb diet. Worked wonders, but she walked it off if you ask me. But now her choelesteral level is through the roof. Nothing beats good old exercise and good balanced meals, and drinking water. Just stay away from mayonaise, cheese, pop or other sweetened drinks. Really all food is good for you. YOu would die without it. Look their are people starving all over the world. IT's just how much of it you eat, and if you don't do anything. You are not going to loose anything. Just do it! Force yourself to exercise. You will be happy you did. Literally because exercise makes you happy. Also boost your immune system to keep you heathly. I would recomend starting off lifting weights like dumbells ( or klipsch belles). When you lift weights you loose weight sitting on your but. You burn calories all day long after you lift weights. Even when your sitting down watching a movie on your hometheater system!! unlike walking and cardio. Then you can start walking for your heart. Another thing is use olive oil (cold pressed make sure) for everything you fry in a pan. Very very very very good for you and very very very tasty. Well i hope this helps someone.

This "bread" sounds as dangerous as "dihydrogen monoxide."

For those folks on a diet: one of the laws of thermodynamics reminds us of the conservation of energy -- total energy of the system plus the surroundings is constant.

If your intake of calories = the output of calories then you will neither gain nor lose weight. If you want to gain weight or lose weight then one has to change one side of the equation. To lose weight one must lower the intake of calories or exercise (both is best).

But if everybody ate right and excersised I would be out of a job QUICK! So keep at it people!!

>GET INTO THE ZONE

>Barry Sears, any of his 'Zone' books will do. Figure out your optimum weight for your >height and frame size. Determine your activity level. Eat for this weight.

...I am more partial to Britney Spears' "In the Zone"9.gif

When I get home I am going to practice thermodynamics by lugging in my new reciever in, dragging the rest of the new speakers out of the garage, hooking everything up then balancing the equation by replacing the calories lost with liquid "bread" of the homebrew variety!!16.gif

Finally!

Finally!

Harman Kardon AVR8000

Klipsch Reference (RF7s, RC7s, RS7s)

----------------

On 6/1/2004 5:20:58 PM nuclearay wrote:

This "bread" sounds as dangerous as "dihydrogen monoxide."

For those folks on a diet: one of the laws of thermodynamics reminds us of the conservation of energy -- total energy of the system plus the surroundings is constant.

----------------

pizza.jpg

Dats right. And if ya slaps on too much Oil and Pepperoni on

da dough ya gots Hydrogen Sulfide production to worry about.

dihydrogen monoxide H2O LOL.. The Showtime Network Penn and Teller show called Bullsh!t had a parody of all the "save the world" freaks!! I was laughing for days at all of the "earth firsters" ...who signed a pettition to get rid of dihydrogen monoxide.(H2O) cause it is in everything we come in contact. OMG like run for your life... And not a ONE person figured it out, 2,000 signatures or so later...LOL.. If you have never seen this show, your in for a treat!!

MODERATION CONTROL SELF PRIDE

Frankly, I am tired of hearing of any type of diet.

My Parents taught me to stop eating if I felt full. Even if there is "only" one more fork full on your plate.

At 51 I weigh within two (2) pounds of my junior year in high school. I have two (2) pair of Lee Jeans from then that I cannot wear out. Pockets were a little smaller on those, but so was my income.

BTW, not only can saliva do you in, it starts the digestive process. Makes me feel funny when in the middle of a romantic kiss. ;)

dodger Win