K-Horns?

PhilMays

Been a while since I was at this site.

Reference series have been good to me, now I want more.

I would like to get K-Horns for my main speakers. What other heratage series would sound great with this for center and rear...and even rear center?

Thanks for the advise.

Although I think you are at an age where you would appreciate the openness, large soundstage, smoothness and clarity of classic Klipsch corner Khorns, but some of your front-end equipment concerns me. I am afraid the big ole horns will be too revealing, particularly with the Sony and Yammie. The ultra-sensitivity of the big ole horns makes everything different. Any of the Heritage loudspeakers that share the same mid-range horn as the Khorn are good matches for it; definitely LaScalas.

Beware the classic Klipsch corner Khorns gives you realistic flat bass down to 30Hz, as PWK intended, it does NOT give you lots of punchy mid-bass. Classic Klipsch corner Khorns sound more like live acoustic bass than recorded electric bass. It can take some getting used to. As I saw at preacherman DaddyDees Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas (May 2004), people who prefer RF7s may NOT prefer Khorns.

5.gif

Great!!! Could I makeup for the lack of mid-bass punch by replacing my KSW 15 with an RSW-10?

My dealor has a set of Hersey II's in stock. My thoughts with their current set-up is they are very open but do lack a certain mid-bass punch that the RF-7's have. However I will say that I have not "messed" with the set-up any to see if they could sound any different. My initial impression was they sounded fantastic. I'm not sure they sounded better but rather just as good in a different way...Don't know if that made any sense....

Phil, the response curves will be similar, but the Khorns have a much more effective midrange than the RF7s. From what I have heard myself, the Khorns are better at projecting sound out into a listening area. The RFs seem to have better bass, but I think it is really how I perceive the bass in relation to the midrange.

The Khorns up front, and Heresys all round, with a Klipsch or SVS subwoofer, would put many people in surround A/V paradise. If you buy a solid set of Khorns, they will never go down in value, either. Good luck in your quest!1.gif

Philguy, I think that with big ole horns the bigger the bass unit, the better and the bigger the mid-range horn, the better, the classic Klipsch corner Khorns dont take up as much space as you would think because they fit into the corners, even a panel loudspeaker has a larger foot print in the room,

the difference between a KSW and RSW sub is appreciable, especially with big ole horns, I cant really use my KSW with the Khorns, it intrudes on their low bass too much, in fact, even my ill-fated precursor to Klipschs modern set of reference subs, the LF10, with its single active 10 driver, two passive ones and a 500-watt BASH amplifier, intrudes on the lean and accurate low bass of the Khorn, but it does give better mid-bass punch for movies, otherwise the only sub I know that can actually add sub 30Hz depth to a Khorn is the SVS tubes,

as much as I like the idea of five small Heritage loudspeakers for HT, in my own humble opinion, the sheer and value quality of the impressive classic Khorns easily overweighs other considerations!

4.gif

Phil,

I would suggest a belle or la scala center, definitely. And if music is the main thing (as opposed to video), then another pair of belles or la scalas for surrounds. If you can't accomodate the big horns for surround duty, then heresys crossed over to the k-horns and/or sub(s) in the 60-80hz range should work well too.

I use a pair of Hersey II's for my rears on custom 21" stands, great match. For my centre I use a KLF-C7, a another Hersey would be great, but won't fit on top of the tv. I use a Velodyne FSR-18 for my sub. I will attach my pics to give you an idea at least.

Keep the RC-7 for the centre, it'll work out fine 2.gif

The Klipschorns don't have any midbass punch? That's news to me. What they don't have is the slightly elevated response at 100Hz like the LaScala.

I still think the RF-7 has a cleaner and more open treble.