Reference series upgraded crossovers

Duuu.....

Posted before I typed...

I read where someone is doing an audiofile upgraded crossover for RF-7's.

Has anyone heard of this?

What would one expect to get from that and what is the cost?

Thanks and sorry for the initial mispost.

Contact DeanG here on the forum, there are photos of the beauties posted so you may try and do a search. The last post I saw from DeanG on the subject it was running about $360 a pair. He offers other options that can decrease or increase that price depending on crossover component choices. He is in the process of building me an "AA" version for my La Scala that will utilize custom made Jensen PIO caps. I cannot wait to give it a try and replace the 26 year crossover that is in there now. After that I am going to have him work up a pair for my '86 Cornwall II's as soon as I stabilize my cash flow. Too much going out right now and not enough coming back in if you know what I mean.

Frzninvt is right, and the crossover upgrade can apply to more than just mains. Dean is doing my crossovers right now. He said that noone has requested to upgrade their RC-7, even though he also recommends that. So, he is doing my RF-7s, and my RC-7. Expect them back middle of next week and will post a review to all.

It is extremely easy to pull the crossovers, even on the RF-7s. If you are interested, PM me. If you are also interested in some reviews and further details, go to the second page of two channel, in this forum. In a post started by ncsubum entitled "crossover mod," Dean explains his modifications and pricing. Additionally go to page six of two channel, and MOON has a nice review on Dean's crossovers.

Actually for less than the price of upgrading to certain cables, this upgrade will be much more substantial. Eagerly looking forward to it.

Carl.

I just finished your RC-7 crossover Carl. I'm telling ya, if I never see another Tapered Array crossover it'll be fine with me! It's amazing what Klipsch can get on a PCB. It's even more amazing what I can get on them.1.gif

Here you go Carl. It ain't pretty, but will do the job in a grand way I'm sure.

No room for an air core, and even if there was I wouldn't have used one. With so many inductors in close proximity to each other, I would have been worried about mutual inductance. Besides, I'm not sure they do all that much in the LF circuit.

I had to move the small iron core to the bottom of the board as it was just to make room for the caps. I had to use Solens because the values were so large. I don't really like them in HF circuits, but they work fine here, where at least you get the benefit of the polypropylene dielectric. I did downsize the largest value by 1uF, and supplemented it with a Harmony 1uF bypass cap. I left the resistors alone since they were set on the backside of the board with some kind of kung-fu grip adhesive. I was worried that if I forced them off I might lift or damage the board.

Cramped quarters dictated a small compromise in the HF section. I usually parallel some Auricaps in the notch circuit, but the values are somewhat large, and there just wasn't any way possible to do it since I had to move those parts from the LF section to the bottom of the top board. So, A Solen with a .01uF AudioCap PPT Theta bypass cap. These caps aren't in series with the tweeter, so the impact will be minimal -- and probably not audible.

As usual -- loads of glue -- which is my signature of quality.9.gif

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=31667&

post-3205-13819255213342_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome, man. Beefy. 1.gif

So what kind of real-world benefits would one expect to hear with your crossovers, Dean? I assume that people aren't shipping their speakers to you.. that you make the COs and the users install them themselves? What about older reference series like the RF-3?

Dean:

The new RC-7 crossover looks beautiful to me. Yes, I compared the RC-7 and RF-7 crossovers side by side before sending them to you, and I knew it would be a special challenge. Not to worry though because I had complete faith in you. 1.gif

As they say, you are the man. And I am salivating.....Can't wait to get them back and reinstalled.

Thanks again.

Carl.

----------------

On 5/22/2004 4:45:59 PM jephdood wrote:

So what kind of real-world benefits would one expect to hear with your crossovers, Dean? I assume that people aren't shipping their speakers to you.. that you make the COs and the users install them themselves? What about older reference series like the RF-3?

----------------

You remove your crossovers, pack them nicely, and ship them to Dean. Actually, they are pretty easy to remove. I expect you would also notice benefits from a RF-3 x-over modification, but I do not know if Dean has done one yet. Would not be a problem for him though.

Anyway, since Dean is probably busy finishing up my RF-7s, 1.gif here are his own words on the process - from two of his previous posts:

"I don't change out the capacitor and inductor in the low frequency circuit, and only replace the parts in the high frequency part of the circuit. This upgrades the critical part of the crossover. The ears are much more sensitive to improvements in the midrange and treble, and besides -- most of you run subwoofers -- so any benefit from the LF upgrade may not even be audible."

"Keep in mind here that it doesn't change the sonic signature -- they still sound like RF-7s. However, that which is good about them gets better, and that which is bad is greatly diminished. There is a noticeable decrease in hash and grain at low to moderate listening levels, and an absence of ringing and harshness at higher SPLs."

Hope that gave you a better picture of what he does.

Carl.