Good High Power Amps

Well if you have read my other topic I might be getting rid of my heresys. They would be replaced with some a/d/s L1590's which if you don't know aren't horns and they are about 90db/watt. So if I do go ahead and get rid of the heresys what would be a good 200WPC amp that would be about 500 to 600 dollars? What would also be a good preamp for about 200 or 300 dollars? I would like to buy something used.

Thanks,

Taylor

If you want my opinion, I think your money would be better spent on a used pair of Cornwalls or La Scalas. Either of the two would sound fantastic with your 299D. I ran a 299D with Cornwalls for a few months. In retrospect I wish I had not sold my 299D to my neighbor. It sounded great on both my CW's and my LS's. And, there was plenty of volume in a 24X40 room. You'll literally blow yourself out of your room with either of them. Trust me, there's a BIG difference between a Heresy and the CW and LS. I know, I own all three.

You might even look into a pair of Chorus, Forte's, KLF 20 or 30's. They all have smaller footprints that CW's or LS's and they do rock very well. I assume that's what you listen to mainly?

TSho, if you are looking for SS I am trying getting ready to sell an amp and pre-amp. The Pre is a Carver CT-17 and the amp is a Carver TFM-35 250 watts at 8 ohms 350 at 4 ohms. If your interested let me know I'd let them go for $ 275 and we split shipping.

----------------

On 5/24/2004 10:40:58 PM Piranha wrote:

If you want my opinion, I think your money would be better spent on a used pair of Cornwalls or La Scalas. Either of the two would sound fantastic with your 299D. I ran a 299D with Cornwalls for a few months. In retrospect I wish I had not sold my 299D to my neighbor. It sounded great on both my CW's and my LS's. And, there was plenty of volume in a 24X40 room. You'll literally blow yourself out of your room with either of them. Trust me, there's a
BIG
difference between a Heresy and the CW and LS. I know, I own all three.

You might even look into a pair of Chorus, Forte's, KLF 20 or 30's. They all have smaller footprints that CW's or LS's and they do rock very well. I assume that's what you listen to mainly?

----------------

I don't think that I have the space for any of those and I kind of don't want horns until I get my own house with more space. I don't even think I could fit one LaScala in my room although I want to.

I would add that some McIntosh SS can be had for that price, BOY do they sound good! right now I see on audiogon 2XMC2015s, and MC502, an MC250 and a whole slew of integrated in your price range...check out ebay as well...items with 200 watts or over (sounds like too much to me, but anyway) are MC2002, MC300, MC350, MC500, any MC22XX, MC2300, MC2500, MC2600...regards, tony

How are the B&K preamp/tuner combos? It really looks like it would be perfect for my future system. I am not ready to buy anything now and won't be for a while if you guys do offer to sell me your gear I won't have the money for a while because I have to buy the speakers first.

If you were going to stick with big ole horns, I would strongly encourage you to pick up vintage solid-state harmon/kardon receivers, for a few bucks, or tube or solid-state McIntosh, which sound smooth with classic Klipsch corner Khorns,

but if you are going to abandon our high sensitivity school, then I guess you need real power, I would look for used Threshold, B&K and Nelson Pass amplifiers, regardless of their power ratings; my 48-pound, vintage solid-state, Class A, 22-watt Pioneer M-22 dual-monoblock amplifier is dirt cheap on eBay and unless you are listening to lightning crackling on Xmen, it sounds very much like a $4K Pass X250 concrete monster amplifier (1000 watts into a 2-ohm load!)

Denon probably has the best modern name here amongst the HT guys

8.gif

----------------

On 5/24/2004 9:32:23 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

Well if you have read my other topic I might be getting rid of my heresys. They would be replaced with some a/d/s L1590's which if you don't know aren't horns and they are about 90db/watt. So if I do go ahead and get rid of the heresys what would be a good 200WPC amp that would be about 500 to 600 dollars? What would also be a good preamp for about 200 or 300 dollars? I would like to buy something used.

Thanks,

Taylor

This sounds like a lot of power but the speakers are only 87 to 89db/watt and they really need a lot of power to shine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5701454718&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I know it's not 200 watts like you asked, but this would be a great amp for you. It's only 100 watts, but has enough current oomph to power loudspeakers even with a sensitivity of 87dB with not a problem. It is by far the best SS amp I have ever owned or listened to in a long, long time.

----------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5701454718&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I know it's not 200 watts like you asked, but this would be a great amp for you. It's only 100 watts, but has enough current oomph to power loudspeakers even with a sensitivity of 87dB with not a problem. It is by far the best SS amp I have ever owned or listened to in a long, long time.

----------------

I probably would buy your Aragon but I don't have the money to buy anything now and won't for a while.

Taylor,

How would you characterize the sound of the ADS speakers? I've never listened to them, so I can't make a good recommendation without some input on your perceptions of them. You may want a "warm" sounding amp to balance the sound out or that might be too much of a good thing.

As far as needing 200 watts, I'd be careful about getting caught in the numbers trap. It's very easy to do. When I bought my Vandersteen 3s (rated at 89, but measured at 85 db for sensitivity), I thought I needed a BIG amp. I used a Forte 6 (200 wpc) and a Mark Levinson 23 (200 wpc) along the way. Then I used Quicksilver 8417 monos (rated at 60 watts; closer to 50). I found that I could enjoy the music a lot longer, since the sound was so much more to my liking and I never really noticed them running out of steam.

Naturally, YMMV due to room size, musical tastes, listening levels, etc., but this was a big room (22X18x12) and I wasn't listening to Zamfir on the Pan Flute. Look for an amp that has the sonic characteristics you are looking for and you will be much happier in the long run.

BTW, seeing what you had in your old system (in your signature), I would definitely recommend a tube preamp. You will miss that tube magic!!!!

I would tenatively endorse the B&K recommendation and throw in one for McCormack as well. In fact, the McCormacks are a better match for a tube preamp, since their input impedance is 100Kohms. The B&Ks are almost universally 33K. The McCormacks have a punchier bass, in my limited experience in demoing both, and both have a very musical sound.

Check out this preamp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=5701620175&rd=1

I own one and I am very impressed with the price:performance ratio. No super-esoteric/expensive tubes on board either, so you can do some tube-rolling.

Anyway, let me know what you think you want to get from the amp tonally and we'll see where it goes from there.

vr,

Jeff

The a/d/s sound is a great sound, but you'll need some balls behind them - 200 watts minimum, or an amp specifically designed to snort at 4 ohms.

Stay within your budget. If it were me, I would go for the Adcom 5800 or the G.A.S.

Preamps are a toss up. I might be tempted to try the Aragon.

Hello:

I have a McIntosh 2120 in mint condition that I would be willing to let go if you are interested in the next four (4) weeks.

Other than tubes, I haven't received an offer on anything.

I know I have a lot but I've been lucky to be in the right place at the right time. And being around audio for 30 + years you get some good LEGAL contacts.

dodger