Value of LaScalas

Hi Mike,

Ebay seems to set the market value, which is a pretty varied range and at times doesn't make alot of sense.

For example, in the last day or so a reasonable pair of LaScalas didn't get a single bid and the minimum was $750. These did need new tweeter diaphragms, but was still surprised. I'd have found the price quite tempting at $750. Sometimes the Scalas will go well over 1K.

It would probably be helpful do an Ebay search of ended items for LaScala and see what the range has been lately.

Well their value is subjective. As stated before e-bay seems to set the used market vaue, based on their condition and demand. I would say 700-1150 is about what I have seen. As already recomended do a search and take a look.

MIKE : There worth what there worth where you are located . E-bay is a somewhat poor judge of true value , if you really " follow " the auctions and " watch " where the lascalas are located you'll see a definate pattern in bidding.

I've seen them go in excellent shape for way under market value " plus " i've seen them sell at $300.00 more than any sane person would pay , but it all depends on location.

Shipping these beasts is always a pain in the neck , folks seem to bid accordingly.

I've also seen " used lascalas " sell for more than retail !!! in northern canada .

Greg...are you sure they were factory ORIGINAL cabinets? It may be that on occassion Klipsch got a deal on some oak plywood laying around somewhere...but they still built the LaScalas with the same build as birch ones, which isn't exactly fine furniture-grade construction techniques. Also, the birch plywood Klipsch normally used/uses was custom-ordered void-free stuff with 7 inner plys and two birch veneers. Besides, I wouldn't exactly consider oak veneer "exotic" by any means. A decent wood for furniture-making, YES...but never an EXOTIC one. How many inner plys did that "oak" plywood have?

give us the serial numbers off the back - that will tell us everything about the models...

Because the Klipsch Heritage series LaScala has the same wonderful mid-range horn as the mighty Klipsch corner Khorns, it will have much nicer openness, presentation and soundstage. Because of this, you think they would sell for more than walnut-oiled Cornwalls. Yet the Cornwalls have much better mid-bass presentation, since the LaScalas roll-off quickly in the mid-bass region. Because of its vast and fluid market, eBay is a good judge of the ever fluctuating values of used parts, just search completed sales. In my own humble opinion, a great deal on Cornies is less than $600, fair is about $800, a few mint or modified Corns went for $1,000. Even though big ole horns often requirement entirely different front-end equipment, these is an incredible value compared to what $1K will buy in cone loudspeaker sold in a retail boutique. Klipsch Heritage series LaScala should be in the same price range.

6.gif

Just to set your mind at ease. That pair was local to me and I contacted the seller after the auction to try and work out some kind of deal. I have an empty pair of cabnets and I'm looking for all the drivers and crossovers. Thought it might be worth investigating.

I asked the seller for serial numbers and the types of drivers and if they would be willing to part them out. Could not provide any information and will not part them. I then asked if I could inspect them them before purchase. NO REPLY what so ever. If this was their typical responce to questions then it is no wonder they didn't receive a single bid. I would stay as far away from that seller as possible.

X

----------------

On 5/25/2004 6:57:44 PM DaddyDee wrote:

For example, in the last day or so a reasonable pair of LaScalas didn't get a single bid and the minimum was $750. These did need new tweeter diaphragms, but was still surprised. I'd have found the price quite tempting at $750. Sometimes the Scalas will go well over 1K.

It would probably be helpful do an Ebay search of ended items for LaScala and see what the range has been lately.

----------------

The La Scalas were factory original and painted black from the factory. It looked to me like they had some oak plywood leftovers and they used them to build black La Scalas. No harm. Certainly not exotic, I just thought it was interesting to note.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Well true on the "exotic wood" term. What I must re state is, it depends on the finish, stain, and treatment. Or a real prize possession, a void/ dent free on a 9.9 - 10 condition birch raw... Might grab a greater price!!

One of my favorite pairs I ever saw was birch raw, with what looked like almost a good 1/4 inch of polyurithane over them. Clear and shiny looked like a bar surface at the counter..LOL.

Just be patient. I paid $600 for a very good pair of 1976 vintage with minor blemishes. Not like the great deal Roger got for his two pair. I'd bet if I really wanted to sell them that I could get $900+ for them. Maybe I have an inflated opinion of value? What person that owns anything with value to them doesn't? But I will never sell them, so it really doesn't matter does it?2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The newer Heritage lineup, especially the La Scalas IMO have the biggest improvement with the new x overs... I also think a very good pro EQ like the DBX 2231 can add a lot of personal taste and find you a bottom they don't seem to find sometime.... ((Pro Line LSI))