Best Female Vocalist

"I'm stickin' with Helen Merrill! Style, Timing, Grace and Face!"

boomac, let put it this way - Stevie Nicks moved my soul every time. I just don't feel much when I listened to Helen Merrill!

Taddio, I haven't the slightest idea your intention. 3.gif.

Boomac,

Great find - this is why I love this site!!!

I wonder if that album is on vinyl - I have a greatest hits of theirs that is a half decent recording but not much else.

Gary,

half a dozen?? Wow!!

OK - you talked me into it. Just let me know the amount you want in a PM and I will paypal it to you (do you have paypal?).

If not paypal I have no idea how to get the money to you!! Suggest something...

I guess "the best" is an individual choice. If a legitimate cross section survey were taken, (the best female vocalist ever) I bet Stevie Nicks and Helen Merrill wouldn't even make the top 50. Heck, 90% of the people wouldn't know Helen Merrill and about the same percent could take or leave Stevie Nicks.

Max, just saw your post. (thus the edit) After listening to the sample that Are Electric Friends posted, I too, think will look into acquiring some of Karen's music. She did have a wonderful voice. If I come across anything with the Ella Fitzgerald session, I'll let you know. Please do likewise.

So best is NOT defined as most popular, then what is, octave range? Most types of music? Most admired by other female artists as best? Most recognized voice? Biggest emotional impact? Who should create more types of music?

Kralls concert was flawless - perfect.9.gif

I am listening to Diana Krall now as it happens - the girl from the other room - nice...but no banana. check out Jacintha - Here's to Ben - how it should be done IMHO YMMV and all that Jazz.

Of course I am listening to 160 Kbps MP3 from my Sony Clie organiser via a pair of headphones labelled PwC (freebie from PricewaterhouseCoopers from years back) so that doesnt help her cause....

Actually the sound is not too bad....well....not awful anyway on a par with FM...

----------------

On 5/29/2004 11:57:24 PM jt1stcav wrote:

How about Björk? No one mentioned this Icelandic beauty's spectacular voice...oh, so seductive!
4.gif

----------------

Bingo, bclarke421!

Stevie Nicks??? I read those posts and believe it was all facetiousness. Apparently a few ARE enamored with her voice.

There is a girl who goes to the local dive bar - she sings exactly like Stevie Nicks and is of course a huge fan of hers. It takes me approximately 10 minutes of listening to her wail out 'Stand Back' or whatever the hell it is before the sound simply drives me up a wall.

To each their own however and I certainly can understand why some like her. I always thought she was hot 20 years ago or whatever. I just wanted her to keep her mouth closed. :) Myself, I really dig Jewel although I don't think she rates amongst the best ever.

Nancy Sinatra singing Bang! Bang! is pretty damn good.

Anarchist:

Interesting you mention Jewel. She does a respectable Ave Maria, it shows what a good voice she has.

Jewel Ave Maria Tower Records

Also, someone who has a good voice as far as the voice itself, is LeAnn Rimes, even though I dont own any of her material nor is that my style, I think she has a nice quality voice.

LeAnn Crazy

LeAnn Rimes Tower Records

Ive seen Fleetwood Mac live in San Francisco in the Tusk era, and really liked them but I dont think the voice as far as a voice goes is amongst the all time best.

Im still trying to come up with my all time favorite, not an easy task. Nana Mouskouri is pretty darn versatile, Greek, English, French, Spanish, Italian, German.

Nana

P.S. Bjork does a song in the movie The Professional (Leon The Professional)

My very first "true" concert was The Cranberries back in the early 90's. I think Dolores has a pretty decent voice, considering. Not anything like you guys are talking about, but still a very good voice. Not to mention she is extremely do-able!!!!! 11.gif9.gif

142.jpg

131.jpg

----------------

On 5/28/2004 10:06:57 PM HornPenguin wrote:

The most beautiful female vocalist of all time..... and the winner is..... Lynn Anderson. Are there any others on the forum that would agree? If not, then what would be your vote?
9.gif

----------------

Yeah chops, after all the topic is "The most beautiful female vocalist"