good entrance SACD player?

Just1n20

i'm considering a SACD player to add to my setup. i know i probably won't notice an amazing difference giving my equipment. but i'm planning on setting out for a Scott 299B and RF-7's so it will have better use eventually. just curious to hear what people have to say. does not have to be multi-channel. only looking for stereo quality. And yes this is primarily to listen to DSOTM. but who'll tell me not to.

How about a Sony 222ES?

Here's one:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1090552873

Good entry level SACD and decent redbook. I have the non-ES version the SCD-CE 775 and am pleased with it. Another member had posted a link to a

333ES source which would be a step up for ~ $100 more.

I think I am preferring my $60 Toshiba 3950 for redbook to the Sony, but for under $300 maybee you could buy both!

Good luck and let us know how you decide.

paul

----------------

On 6/1/2004 8:47:19 PM paul cbc wrote:

How about a Sony 222ES?

Here's one:

Good entry level SACD and decent redbook. I have the non-ES version the SCD-CE 775 and am pleased with it. Another member had posted a link to a

333ES source which would be a step up for ~ $100 more.

I think I am preferring my $60 Toshiba 3950 for redbook to the Sony, but for under $300 maybee you could buy both!

Good luck and let us know how you decide.

paul ----------------

IMHO the 222 at $199 is a very good deal. I have one, paid $279 for it, and I am very happy with it. I also have the 333 which as mentioned above is a step up for around $349. I have a Philips DVD963A as well, paid $379 for it. It sounds good, but to my ears it is just not in the same class with the Sony ES models for redbook playback. For the money I would buy the 222 or 333.

Lon-

Very interesting looking unit. I have been thinking about getting a Njoe Tjoeb for the tubed output and upsampler. Wonder how this compares? Cool that it is a changer and can handle SACD. Certainly an interesting one for 2-ch location.

Yes, it looks like a great machine. I think that it will sound very good, and it is also a dvd player, and is reported to play cdr, cdrw and dvdr as well without a hitch. The changer transport looks very nicely done as well, more like a single well player. I'm quite eager to get mine; I should probably have it in a few weeks. (hope hope hope)

I've been using products by Steve Deckert since 1997 and they have squeezed out all others in my system save my source; now with this I would have an all Decware system, and I predict I'm going to be very happy! Incredible sonics for low dollars from his amps and speakers.

I'll be interested in your review. I got a Philips 795SA in last week that I'll be trying out on the K-horns. A couple other folks here on the boards have it. It's an entry into SACD and it also has an upsampler, which is a pretty neat idea. Thought this would give me a good way to check that out for the price, $140, to see if upsampling is any good. If so, then I'd think about that in the NT4000.

I have my Sony ES333 up for sale to Forum members for $275. Nothing wrong with it. I just want a SACS player with a volume control so I can connect it directly to my tube power amps, bypassing the preamp control center

I have been using the Pioneer DV-563A for a few months now (and listening to DSOTM SACD often!). It sounds incredible in 5 channel but I don't know how it would sound in 2.0ch. The disc was certainly meant for multichannel.

You can find the player on ebay -- "Buy it now" for $111.

My nondiscriminatory ears cannot tell 'much' difference between the $100 and $1000 player so I choose to spend the $$ elsewhere. Now between $100/$1000 speakers... thats another story.9.gif