My "Lossy" AA's

Deang

Here's one of your Type B's Bill, and I don't want no grief about the color mismatch on the tie straps. :) Man, I've gotten three emails about the tie straps. Tbabb wants all black, which means I have to hunt down some mile longers for the 4uF. It's just turns out the clear ones are longer than the black ones, so I use what works -- looks like it's time for another trip to Parts Express.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=31772&

post-3205-13819255336062_thumb.jpg

You mean the kind they put in washin machines and fridgerators? LOL9.gif Hey, you just keep building boards that people can actually afford -- and let me chase the crappy dielectrics!

I can hardly wait for the mail, "Where the hell is the treble". "Hey, it's supposed to sound that way. For God's sakes man, you don't actually want to hear that K-77 do ya?"16.gif I've been stacking up on Auricaps just in case the roof caves in. I might have to buy all of these caps back from the poor bastards I suckered into this.9.gif

We'll see, but I think it's gonna turn out just fine.

Don, the Type AA is really different than the Type B. The 13uF "pepsi can", tweeter inductor, and zeners make it that way. BTW, if you're using a Solen for the 4uF position -- yank it and throw it away. The 4uF cap is the first cap in the circuit, and you won't hear the 2uF Hovland until you get rid of it. You're only going to get as good as your weakest link in these things. As far as the Hovlands go, they're excellent capacitors. However, these crossovers were designed with some resistance in the circuit, and something like the Hovlands removes just about all of it. I'm sure the treble and midrange is quite clean, but probably also somewhat accentuated. I'm sure Bob will agree with me -- this isn't what PK heard, or how he voiced them.

The 4.0 uF cap is a Max cap, 250 V, 5% polypropylene. It is a lot smaller than the Hovland. I guess I need to replace it. Dean, so what do you suggest? Do I go Auricap, Thetas, or something in between? Actually I have been waiting for the Jensen review to hear what they sound like. The treble is a little accentuated at the moment, but that is also attributable to the SS amp in the chain, at least until I decide between a Transcendent 16 OTL, a cherry or Craig's new baby. Dean, feel free to post any suggestions or comments.

Don

Are those 'Max' caps made in France? If so, they're just rebranded Solens. I would remove them and just throw them away -- they're "hard" sounding and noisy. I would replace them with 4uF Auricaps or Kimber capacitors. Another Hovland in there and I think those Cornwalls are just going to be too forward and in your face.

As far as the Jensens go -- Leo really likes them in his RF-7s, and I've been on the fence about them ever since. After Allan Songer loaded up his boards with them and came back with a positive report -- I went back and dug out about 50 posts from Kelly and others about the PIOs in Heritage speakers. I think there are a combination of factors that explain why they work and sound good with PK's old circuits.

I don't think they are Solen rebrands, unless Solen makes a cap that at each end is a rounded rectangle, much like a short track NASCAR circuit. Anyways, I will seek out some replacements to help with the sound. They did make a change when I first put a pair of them in, but later added the Hovland 2.0 uF to the mix. The guy I got them from said they were much better than Solens, but I can't find a website to find out who makes them. MAX cap and I have tried on several different times to find out about them.

I can get 2.0 uF (200v) Auricaps for $11.50 and 4.0 uF's for $14.95 US at a source in the GTA (Toronto), plus tax and shipping, but no customs fees on top of that, so not a bad deal I think. They don't have Kimbercaps.