Khorn Placement Question

Hey, Kevin:

This seems to vary because people seem to make them work as best as they can in different living areas. We first tried ours on the shorter wall of our rectangular listening room, but this put the sweet spot about 3 feet in front of the speakers -- which didn't seem to be making the best use of available space. Wolfram has his about 12-14 feet apart in his apartment, I think, and says they work great. I also know quite a lot of Lowther horn owners (speaker efficiency is as high as the K-horns and La Scalas, and in some cases around 108db/watt/meter) who listen in the near field, which is how I also use our Lowther. High efficiency can work very well that way, I think.

Our K-horns are now on the long wall, or about 20 feet apart. Even at this distance, there is a surprisingly well-defined center image, especially with solo acoustic guitar or vocalist. I think that since really low frequency information can or tends to be more non-directional (maybe omni-directional is a better word, here) the diffraction caused by nearby by objects (shelf, equipment rack, wine rack, coffee table, tea table, Ovaltine table -- whatever!) would be much less of an issue than it would be for HF and upper midrange response. Still, since the walls form the final flare of the LF horn, some breathing room might not be a bad idea. Midrange and tweeter response seems to cover the majority of the bandwidth of most recorded material, but the K-horns provide a really wonderful foundation for everything above. I noticed this difference when comparing the K-horns to the also great-sounding La Scalas. The tweeter level is a bit higher (in terms of distance from the floor), but the overall sound is just so present and amazingly live, immediate, present, all of those things we seek!

Thanks for the reply.

Since it is 4 feet to the corner; If the Khorn was in a recess in some cabinets along the wall, I'm guessing that the cabinets could be as close as 1 foot from the front corner of the Khorn?

Not having a Khorn here handy to measure, has anyone ever measured this distance?

Kevin.

Idealy that is 4 ft from the edge of the speaker to the first obstruction. Most practical solutions don't quite allow for this ideal. In the 27 years I have had the horns, I have never been allowed that much room and don't really notice anything lacking. I come close but no WHEE-O!

Rick

From the original literature that came with my Khorns:

"For best results, install your KLIPSCHORN loudspeaker in a corner affording the most unobstructed wall space. Keep the corner ot the top pushed into the corner of the room wall. Flanking draperies are entirely permissible as long as they leave sound passages clear." It then goes on to caution about objects placed on top and false corners.

There is no mention of distance to objects within the room in the manual. There may be in "The Dope From Hope". I have not yet read all of the "white letters".

Rick

Hi tony,

So if it is 4 feet from the corner. How close could a cabinet be to the front edge of the Khorn? I don't have a Khorn here to measure.

I may design a new listening room and if I placed the Khorns on a wall lined with cabinets, I need to know how far to keep them from the Khorns.

Thanks!

in "dope from hope" PWK Said; "negligble improvement will be obtained from extending further than four feet from the corner" when talking about false corners. my guess is that you can put anything you want once you clear the four foot guideline but that more room without obstruction is slightly better...tony

Tony-

IIRC, a false corner of 42" will be even with the front of the K-horn cabinet. So, I would think that if you can leave a minimum of 6" between the K-horn and your cabinet, you should be fine. I have one of my K-horns with about that same 6" spacing to a brick hearth and things sound pretty good to me. Good luck.