Tube power amp recommendations

Hi Craig,

I'm assuming you are referring to listening to my AES-25 while it there. As you know from some of my e-mails, I was pretty depressed about the sound of the SuperAmp at first.

It turns out the input tubes were bad (as you mentioned) and were a cause of a lot of distortion. Did you try it with the supplied tubes or did you roll in another set?

I don't know how good a Mark III sounds so I can't compare, but I do know the AES-25 became a (night and day) different and very clean amp with new tubes.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strabo,

Yea I tried other tubes and yes it sounded better ! The Super Amp is a descent amp I'm not saying its bad. I'm just refering to people saying and then others agreeing " A used Super Amp will smoke any 'Vintage' Push Pull Tube amp" this is complete hogwash !! The list of vintage amps that can readily put a whipping on the Super Amp are so long its almost laughable ! Oh and keep in mind your amp is not the basic Super Amp yours retails for $2K its a deluxe signature version.

Others,

I think on the Ryan and Jon Issue you should all butt out !! None of you know the truth on this issue.

Craig

Paul,

Only Ryan can provide an answer to why he's willing to hang around after being "busted", but like I said to you on the phone last week -- I really don't think anyone at this point is ignorant to it. The "issue" can be appropriately brought up in pertinent threads at the appropriate time. I'm sure Amy will see the signature line as a personal attack -- no question about it.

----------------

On 6/5/2004 11:07:24 PM doctorcilantro wrote:

What about an ST-70 with a new board from Triodeel.com?

DC
----------------

Jon,

Good luck there Triode Electronics hasn't had boards for any Dynaco products in 6 months ! This is what delayed my VRD amps for so long I was going to use his Mark III board in my amps and ended up hiring Mark Deneen to help me design a new board of my own. Were going to do a ST70 when we both have time to work it out. I've also thought of just doing a point to point for the ST70. Joe Curcio is the only available ST70 upgrade board these days. The ST70 would be a great option upgraded correctly and compete well with any Super amp in its price range.

Craig

A slightly different perspective. I have read the prior postings about Ryan and saw the docs tag line for the first time. It is old news. We all know and can all provide an opinion when someone comes on and asks for a reference. It IS unequivocally wrong to include that information in his tag line. It IS also unequivocally wrong to bring this same tired $hit up every time Ryan makes a post. We also don't need to make a flame war out of our references,i.e. its real simple, adults can simply say 'I would recommend 'blank' based on my dealings with him in the past.' If there is something 'further' you need to cover (because the solicitor questions your recommendation), take it to PM's. The rest of these actions just seem petty and beneath those who participate in them.

----------------

On 6/6/2004 2:07:38 PM Anarchist wrote:

A slightly different perspective. I have read the prior postings about Ryan and saw the docs tag line for the first time. It is old news. We all know and can all provide an opinion when someone comes on and asks for a reference. It IS unequivocally wrong to include that information in his tag line. It IS also unequivocally wrong to bring this same tired $hit up every time Ryan makes a post. We also don't need to make a flame war out of our references,i.e. its real simple, adults can simply say 'I would recommend 'blank' based on my dealings with him in the past.' If there is something 'further' you need to cover (because the solicitor questions your recommendation), take it to PM's. The rest of these actions just seem petty and beneath those who participate in them.

----------------

Hello:

A bad experience as you say. Fine. the point is made.

I do not claim to know Ryan's, Craig's or any of the other Poster's (but one who lives near me) qualifications. I have seen good about all.

I take no stand in support of Craig or Ryan. They have their own followers. One posts more. That's fine. I would not state one is better than the other as I have no experience with either. I have not had to have anything repaired of what I have.

You have chosen to make your problems known in public. I can agree with that. Name calling, detrimental language is okay - to a point.

Being in the Service, you should know when to quit. I have no quarrel with Ryan, Craig, or anyone that gives advice when asked. Your sig is a bit much. If you feel that you have to include a warning, there is more tactful language.

All that is posted here is personal opinion, sometimes backed up by test equipment results.

Now for your question: what is your goal, perhaps there is something that has not been mentioned. Do you want TT, no TT. CD, SACD results. There is no sarcasm in these questions only looking for a full definition.

dodger

----------------

On 6/5/2004 9:29:17 PM Cut-Throat wrote:

A used Super Amp will smoke any 'Vintage' Push Pull Tube amp that I've heard and is in your price range.

----------------

For 700.00 bucks you can't go wrong with the Super Amp. But to say it will smoke any vintage is a bit of a strech. Actually a big strech! I seriously doubt that it blows away any Vintage Amp - unless Cary decided to make the Super Amp sound better then the amps he sells under his own name.

I have never heard a Super Amp. I have however owned both a Rocket 88 "r" (with cap upgrades etc etc) and A SLI 80 with all the factory upgrades as well. I spent lots of time ab ing them on a variety of speakers. To my ears, my vintage Fisher 400 (Bizzy Bee rebuild), Scott 299C (NOS Valves) and McIntosh (audio classics rebuilds) blew them away - the macs in particular are in a completly different league than the Cary push pulls. I tried to find a place for the SLI 80 in my bedroom system but I could not let go of the warm vintage sound of my Scott. In fact it couldnt replace the Fisher in the garage! I have since sold the SLI 80 and the Rocket 88 in favor of vintage power in all three of my systems.

Now for whatever reason I have found exactly the opposite to be true of modern pre amps. I much prefer the clarity and depth of sound with my modern Cary pre amp ( Im looking forward however to getting my Peach when they are available) than I did with any vintage pre including the MX -110 and the C -22 .

Josh

Hi, Letsrodeo:

You are right. The SE OTL is an amazing amplifier. There is one forum member that uses one with his Klipschorns, and another member who will have his in about two weeks. At this point, it's about 1/3 of the way done. For the price, I don't think there is anything that come close to it's very, very low level of background noise and completely natural presentation. There is no frequency range that gets special attention or emphasis; it's almost as if there is no amplifier in the system at all. The same owner also uses the Grounded Grid linestage preamp from the same company, and the same it true for it -- very fast and articulate, but totally dead-quiet -- even through Klipschorns.

Paul: LOL! I have to laugh -- that was really pretty clever! I must admit you are quite good at subtle humor, but your point is well-taken -- it is a lower power amplifier, and the designer does not consider it fit for use with less efficient speaker. You have to hear this thing to believe it, though. With Klipschorns and Lowthers alike, it may as well have been a 3 watt amp!5.gif

I must have missed it, where does the Coast Guard Dr say what loudspeakers, room and music tastes he has please post in system profile!

If he has 100db/w/m sensitive loudspeakers, then he needs really needs about 3 watts to hit 100 db in real room application, a flea-powered 1.5 watt tube amplifier probably can reach 100dB SPL in a real room, it may NOT be able to push around the low bass impedances though

15.gif

Colin,

There is a lot more to it than what an SPL meter says. A built-in TV speaker will play loud. A clock radio will too. Surely you aren't equating what a 3 watt amp sounds like at 100dB with what a 30W amp sounds like at 100dB?