Childhood Music You Hated That You Now Love

middlecreekguy

Funny, isn`t it.....

As time passes, one reflects on the music they were surrounded by while growing up and in turn grows to embrace it. Or is it just me?

Is there a band OR artist that you thought in your younger years that you would never ever listen to, that you now just cannot get enough of.

I love some of the old southern rock I grew up on. Never thought that day would come.

Remember, this is about music you hated as a kid, not new music you just stumbled upon recently, or the last few years.

OK.......GO!

Interesting topic. Funny you should bring this up as I was thinking about this very subject just the other day.

I hated Rock & Roll. Literally. I was just a little kid in the 1950's when Rock & Roll really began to take root. At the time I gravitated to whatever music my parents listen too. At that time it happened to be the big band music. Listening to this I was encouraged to begin playing the saxophone in 4th grade. I had heard all of the rock & roll greats on the radio, and I'd seen Elvis (in the 50's) and the Beatles (in the early 60's) both on the Ed Sullivan Show, but I just didn't care for the sound. Instead I prefered Glenn Miller, Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey, Les Elgart, Glenn Grey, etc.

Then, one summer's day in 1965, I was 14 and playing catch at a friend's house and their radio was playing, "I can't get no, satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. The rest is history! That song simply got my attention and would NOT let go.

Funny, I never did become a real big Stones fan, but I do have my favorites from the group. I never really went back to the big band stuff except at school. We started a combo of about 16 guys in high school that eventually became known as the "Allegro Club". We would host caberet dinners for parents in the school gym and play nothing but big band music. It was great fun to play these songs while watching all of the parents dance and jitterbug to the music. It was almost a role reversal: We were the adults and they were the kids for the evening. Fond memories for sure but ROCK LIVES! 10.gif I eventually became a professional musician in my 20's, playing my sax in a......Rock band!

Thanks for starting this thread. MiddleCreek!2.gif

Bob dylan. I absolutely love him now. The who ok when i was younger, but really didn't give a flying monkey. But now they seem really good to me. Springstein sounds better now. I really thought he was a poser when he first came out or just plain non talented. But i am finially getting it. Bob Segar is another. For some reason I always loved Tom Petty. My roots are completely classic rock. Then the birth of new wave of british heavy metal, and then thrash metal and I was on that ride for along time. Still like it just alot more opened minded now. Back then when metal was born you wouldn't be caught dead listening to anything else. Funny how things change for the better. I absolutely think if you listen to any genre of music long enough you will find an artist you like.

----------------

On 6/13/2004 7:17:08 PM Fish wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but I still dislike all the music I did as a kid,and still love all the music I loved as a kid.

----------------

NO this is a good thing! I still love what I did when I was younger I just like a little more.

----------------

On 6/13/2004 7:17:08 PM Fish wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but I still dislike all the music I did as a kid,and still love all the music I loved as a kid.

----------------

Come on fish. There`s got to be something you like now that you didn`t then. Just one?

1.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2004 7:49:54 PM Fish wrote:

....................as a youngster I didn't care much for trumpets,sax,etc.in my music(just raw rock).Now I do appreciate them more,maybe Klipsch helped.
2.gif

----------------

I could have written that one as well as many on this forum. Well said.1.gif

I remember as a kid, every morning at breakfast we had the kitchen radio on KWTO out of Springfield, Missouri, playing, of course what is now called classic country. Then, it was just country music. This would have been in the early 60's. My gosh, how I hated that twangy, hokey stuff! Even the morning DJ would often sing live. (There actually was still live music on radio then!) Now, I have a pretty good collection of all that awful stuff. Everything from bluegrass to honky-tonk to country-rock!

---------------------------------------

On 6/12/2004 2:05:24 PM Frank Speaker wrote:

picky,

Are you still a professional musician but switched to guitar?

---------------------------------------

Nope, I gave up playing on the stage years ago and turned to doing live and studio sound engineering first as a vocation and now as a hobby instead. But I have since picked up several instruments in addition to the sax, which I have played for some 40 years. The other instruments, which I can play only maginally right now are guitar, drums, keyboards and blues-style harmonica. I simply don't have time to practice and practice (along with lessons) is the only way for me to become good at an instrument. I would love to be able to play guitar like Billy Gibbons, but if it were that easy, then everyone could do it. It's just like my dad said to me years ago when I was in the fourth grade just beginning to learn the sax: "Practice, practice, practice!" If I only had the time.15.gif

• Moderators

Interesting topic!

Neil Diamond, The Bee Gees, Anne Murray, Simon and Garfunkel, Barbara Steisand. Basically, whatever my parents MADE us listen to on road trips 1.gif

Although I still can't stand Barbara. Out of this world voice, but out of this world mouth to go with it. 1.gif

Yes quite a fascinating topic...

However,

My parents were both music-oriented and I appreciated most everything that they listened to. My mother plays violin and my dad can play just about any stringed instrument that I can think of (but played mostly Gospel Bluegrass). I was allowed to form my own musical tastes and I can honestly say that I have never disliked something and then now like it. The jazz and classical I heard as a kid I now appreciate MORE but the stuff I didn't like then I absolutely abhor now. Two songs come to mind -- Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" and Melloncamp's "Jack&Diane" ballad. In third grade our teacher let us bring music to listen to and I heard those two songs and said to myself "that sucks"... I remember bringing Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

On the flip side... my parents cannot STAND some of the things I enjoy.

9.gif

Electronica, Death Metal, Bebop, and occasionally rap. (New Beastie Boys album out tomorrow!)

11.gif

I literally hated jazz before i owned klipsch. I now listen to some on the radio at times just chillin. Not much though. I really am into raw rock. Mainly amp+guitar type sound no effects. Very much into the classic rock sounds. Especially with klipsch I can really hear the different tube amps and pickups,guitar ext. They were using. I would have to say the biggest reason for me liking klipsch is the guitar I hear in the recording, because i am a guitar tone freak. IT sounds like I am answering a question like why do you like your klipsch. But the point being is klipsch has opened up my musical taste somewhat more than it was.