What Music Should I buy This Weekend

thebes

All right, great suggestions and keep them coming. I'll be going to Worst Buy and Tower Records, no really good record store near me, so I need a wide selection in case they don't have all the ones your suggesting. Two questions, RockPlease, what is an FYE store? I'm interested in the sampler since you indicate its mixed really well, and Colin do you know of any really well recorded Orbison? The two I've got are supposed "remasters" from his earlier days, and we all know how bad recorded some of the earlier cd's were.

The fye stores sell music and movies. They have several stores in N. Virginia and West Virginia. You can check their website (www.fye.com) for a location near you. BTW, rckpls is short for my name, Rick Pyles, not Rockplease. I wonder if fye stands for "For Your Entertainment"? Anyway, good luck with finding some new music. Be sure to let us know if you find anything special.

yea we have an fye I do think it's for your entertainment. They do usually carry gov't mule. Listening today and wow! If I had the money I would go out and buy the whole catalog. IT's that good! Also it's a band that just keeps getting better instead of wearing tired. Another mention is the tragically hip. Not very known in the states, but they are a Canadian treasure. They have a new one coming out soon or it may already be out. Well it's coming out June 29th and it's called "in between evolution". Others that are great by them are, " up to there" " Day for night" " Fully Completely" " Road Apples" can't go wrong with them ones.

http://paddysherlock.freewebspace.com//Mainpage.htm

Here is a link to the bandleader's website. The Swingin Lover's CD titles are there on the "music" tab. Something happened to their website over the last couple of days. It was up and running when I posted above on this band.

Anyhow, an excellent CD and a top notch recording. Anyone and evreyone would love this.

Email me if you have trouble. This is worth the effort.

By the way, the CD you want is the one with the black background and charicatures of the band members. It is their latest.

Ok I'm back from shopping. Some of your suggestions I had, some the stores didn't have. Here's what I ended up with:

Tchaikowsky "1812" put out by Telarc

They Might Be Giants "Apoll0 18"

Dido "No Angel"

Gov't Mule " The Deepest End" (vol. 1&2)

Josh Groban "Josh Groban"

Jet "Get Born"

Damien Rice "O"

Donna the Buffalo "Positive Friction"

Asylum Street Spankers "Asylum Street Spankers"

Red Elvises "Live" (2 cd set)

Rachael Yamagata "Happenstance"

FYE "Blues" sampler (free!)

Jennifer Warnes "The Well"

Fini had suggested Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" but I counldn't find it. Too bad because here's what a reviewer had to say about it:

"An outstanding collection Leonard Cohen tunes was originally released in 1987. It remains as an audiophile's dream, as the recording is generally regarded as one of the best engineered ever. Many cite this disc as a benchmark to really put a stereo system to the test. Not to mention the fact that the performances are brilliant. Features the guitar work of the late Stevie Ray Vaughan & includes the Cohen staples 'Bird on a Wire', 'Joan of Arc (with Cohen duetting), and seven others."

My apologies to you Rick, I thought Rock Please was a good stab at your handle.

Ok fini, you can no longer claim your suggestions are being ignored by folks on this forum. I bought four out five. We'll soon have a good look into the strange and complicated mind of the fini via his music. Besides who could resist a group called Aslyum Street Spankers.

Additional suggestions are welcome. My problem with music is I'm not up on a lot of the current stuff due partly to my loathing of commercial fm radio. Of course even when I catch something I like, most of the time I have no idea whose actually singing it, or write the name down on a little piece of paper and promptly lose it.

After I've played these new tunes for a few days I'll start a new thread and post my experiences. Thanks to everybody on this one. A fun thread that helps me and gives others on the forum some musical ideas. Why I think I'll give myself a pat on the back.

thebes,

RIGHT ON! I've gotta hear how you like those albums. Apollo 18 was my very first TMBG album (they just celebrated 20 years!). The song, "Turn Around" still is one of my favorites! They (and the Asylum Street Spankers and The Red Elvises) are very fun live. Good websites, too...

TMBG

The Red Elvises

The Asylum Street Spankers

"My apologies to you Rick, I thought Rock Please was a good stab at your handle."

No need to apologize, Thebes, it was a good guess. I'm really glad you got a FREE copy of the fye Blues disc. My favorite tracks are 2,3,8, and 9..... then there's track 7, "That Baby Ain't Black Enough" by Poonanny, that's just too damn funny! BTW, please let me know if you hear a low hz thump in the background on track 3.

Thanks guys. I think it's an interesting experiment given the widely disparate tastes we all have in music. Suffice it to say, by the weekend I will have gone through all of them and will be prepared to start a new thread offering up my thoughts. Like most critics I intend to be biting and savage in my analysis and throughly savage any pretentions you may have to musical chops. Just kidding. I'm an old softy when it comes to music. My taste are so wierd I have actually witnesed massive rolling of eyes with the simple statemtent: "hey, guys you got to check this one out".

Rick, got the EYE blues sampler on right now. As soon as my ear cleaning kit comes in I'll see if I can find that low mhz thump for you.

You should also check out Radiohead. A great band that experiments with sound - but it is still pleasing and takes in a lot of different influences.

And if you ever get a chance to see them live, a great show - most of the crowd will sing along with the band.

Anybody heard the Velvet Revolver album yet? I like the one song I've heard.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 6/15/2004 6:23:57 PM thebes wrote:

Rick, got the EYE blues sampler on right now. As soon as my ear cleaning kit comes in I'll see if I can find that low mhz thump for you.

----------------

Hey Thebes,

I'm glad someone else has finally heard the fye blues sampler. I know it's the best freebie in my collection! Be sure to give us some news about your new selections.....anything really good?