Building a " Belle " ?

Dale W

For people's information.

JPEG format is good for photographs. My understanding is that the algorithm finds a mathmatical function, some sort of curve, which fits the somewhat slow changes beween the pixels. However, this means it is dealing with gradual changes.

The problem is that drawings have very quick transitions from a white background, to a black line, and back to white. The JPEG algorithm is forced to put a grey in the transition area. So we get halos at the transitions and these result in fuzzy lines.

One solution is to increase the resolution. But then number of pixels and file size goes up very quickly.

The GIF algorithm is meant to be used with drawings. It handles the transitions very well.

All the scanning software I use will let you choose this short of thing somewhere. Either "scan drawing" or "text as image." One HP scan software package I use even allows you to chose bit depth. E.g. you can have just 0 and 1 or 8 or 16 levels of grey, etc.

The result is that gif files turn out to have better resolution for file size if you're dealing with scanned text and line drawings.

BTW: The most accurate but least efficent file format is bitmap. If you have to start with that, you can use MS Paint to open it and then save as GIF.

I always use Paint to check things in any event. I find that 200 dpi is good for most scans of 8.5 x 11 if they're to be printe. On the other hand, the image is too big to see on a screen with regular resolution.

Others here can give more detailed advice.

The lesson is that it pays big to take control of the scan programs rather than let them run off on their own.

Gil

TIFF files would be better, and I wouldn't do anything serious under 300 dpi. You can always resample the image to a smaller size for posting, to give an idea what it looks like.

the gif format only allows for 256 colors, while the jpg format allows for 65k and up, If aliasing is turned on in your software, it will fill in the blocks of the diagonals with another pixel of a lighter shade. THis can tend to make things look fuzzier.

I can't believe you took the time to do that in Paint!

I started to go over the first drawing in Photoshop, but have had a busy week and didn't spend much time on it.

I can't on the weekend as I have a bedroom to paint before my daughter gets back from Santa Fe early Monday morning.

In looking at all three drawings, I can see where this is just a flattened out LS (sorta). I should be able to do the 3D images of this part of the cabinet pretty quickly.

Marvel

Tom - you are correct....no riser on my center Belle because it makes the speaker stick up just a wee bit too far when I have the screen configured for 1.85 ratio flicks....I have a couple of sticks layed down for stability so's the speaker doesn't rock to and fro on the woofer hatch.

Outstanding work on the 'not so steller' prints!!! I was hurried when I took the measurements and admittedly did not cross check the sums of the individual measurements to verify that indeed they totaled the whole. Sorry. I should however have some breathing room this weekend to revisit my measurements and will post any glaring probs next week.

Have a great 4th of July weekend everybody!!!

Regards.

I also spent some time with it in Photoshop and didn't get much of anywhere. I agree that a 300 DPI TIFF would be ideal, and though they start out huge they generally ZIP down nicely. Unfortunately I haven't had any time to do more with it since the initial once-over.

What mid-horn does the Belle use? I see old Klipsch literature, looks like from the mid 70's, where they spec the crossovers as 400 and 6000. Current specs show 450 and 4500. K-400/401 won't fit in the cabinet, I believe the Heresy uses a K-700. I thought the Cornwall used a K-600, is that what's in the Belle too?

They're a little hard to come by.

Anybody making any progress with re-drawing the plans?

"What mid-horn does the Belle use? "

Tom, my Belles use Altec 511b's. Is the K-505 a 500hz horn like the K-400 is a 400hz horn? What is the '05' designation? I'm pretty sure that the horn that originally came with my '74 belle was a 400hz horn. It's in the garage now....I'll check it out tonight and verify.....

I'm pretty sure a Belle basshorn is simply a LaScala in which the the non-flaring part of the horn after the corner, the first part of the horn running rear-to-front, is running sideways in the back. Thus when the corner is turned you go directly to the final flare. Thus the horn is wider, and also shallower, by the dimension of that non-flaring part of the horn.

It then follows that with LaScala plans, which are easily obtained, the mechanically inclined can easily figure how to make a Belle.

Tom,

I'm pretty sure you are right about that. Technically, the belle bass horn might even be slightly better than the LS just for that reason. The LS cabinet has that section you're pointing out, it has no flare at all. I seriously doubt it makes any audible difference, but it's there. Just tonight I was looking over this stuff again, I've been so busy at work and home I haven't had time or energy to do anything with it.

I'm glad you pointed it out in such an easy to understand manner. But then, you're always good at that. :)