Too many Systems?

Does anyone else have this problem? Too many potential systems!

I've now what may turn in to an all Decware system as a main listening system: Dec-685 (hopefully tonight! I have to leave early to sign for the UPS package at home), EL34 Monoblocks, Radial Speakers (PLUS a PS Audio Power Plant).

And in a living room system I have a B&O receiver and turntable and speakers, a Hafler preamp (for phono circuit), an HHB "professional" burner (really nice sounding as a source too) an Harmon Kardon tape deck and a Samsung dvd/vhs combo.

As part of the deal to allow domestic tranquility and my audio (both hardware, software AND real musical production) to thrive I've had to agree: no more sound systems anywhere in the house. ANYWHERE. So . . . no bedroom system for example. No kitchen system. (Don't laugh: I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and wouldn't mind a nice little Revision A amp based system for example!) No bathroom system or speakers wired into the bathroom. (Hey, I'm just listing possibilities!) That's it. I'm contractually bound to my TWO systems at home. Should be enough right? AND I have them tweaked out, boy howdy, let me tell you I do!

Then how come I keep wondering how the Dynaco tubed cd player with the Proton power amp and the Knight Audio big three way speakers would sound like? Or the Nakamiche cd player and the Knight Audio tubed tuner would sound with the Knight Audio integrated solid state amp. . . how would that sound with the Knight Audio speakers or the Bose 6.2 speakers or the Bose 10.2 speakers? And what about the old beloved EICO sitting unused now for over five years. . . or that Cambridge Audio transport, if I bought a DAC to use with that nice transport and.also set up the JVC portable casette deck that I recently inherited as well and that is really nice sounding, and maybe that AR turntable could be fixed after all and . . . Man, I keep imagining what I can do with all these components that are stacked around whispering to me. . . . It's enough to drive one over the edge into (shuddderrrr) fullblown audio madness! (Over the edge or just deeper into the abyss?)

Anyway I finally dawned on one glimmer of hope: I could get ambitious in a career manner for the first time in my life and try to get a step up work environment wise: a private office somewhere. . . . Then I could set up another system and tweak it. I would so much more happily Hi Ho Hi Ho off to work go. Yes.

But. . . I just can't imagine it! In the current environment of downsizing agencies and good positions only going to political must hires. . . . I'm just not going to have that private office for some time. So. . . no third system on the horizon!

It's deeper into the abyss I go as the equipment whispers to me pleading to be used. . . .

Poor baby! Too much gear and no place to play it. You could become a new form of street musician. Grab a system, hit a busy street corner, and put out a hat! (you'd need a really, really, really long power cord, though)

Forget the private office. You got a bathroom where you work? Nothing better, great acoustics. A few bass traps and you're in business.

You've obviosuly caught the Klipsch forum disease. Before I joined, I had a couple of speakers, receiver a cd changer. Didn't realize how unhappy I must have been (check my system profile).

Hello:

Same Problem. Medical Bills started a change and selliing equipment that I did not have in place or after a LOT of thought felt I could sell.

With other equipment, why not just try swapping it in and out?

Most of us have the bug for a lot of equipment. I've been lucky to get most of mine prior to high costs.

But I still have some left to go. So it all comes to space, reality and what to keep that may help contribute to your retirement if you don't have savings.

dodger

----------------

On 6/19/2004 8:36:34 AM ironwoods wrote:

A couple of loop holes in your contract could put something in the garage and out on the deck or patio.

----------------

Oh no. Had just about thought I was done. Now I see I need a couple of outdoor speakers on the patio driven by the Main system. Just sorted out the garage and will be doing a restoration on my 68 Mustang. That will be many hours so I obviously need to get a complete system out there. Hmmm. Move the Heresies out there. Pick up some Lascala or Khorns as their replacement in my two channel room... Feed the Heresies with the M100, use the Eico to feed the new speaks... or should the KG4's go in the garage, the Heresies in the 'gaming' system, and New Lascalas/KHorns for the Eico.

What do ya think would most impress the new wife I will need if I go down this path?

Hello:

I can't speak for your wife but I can guess what mine would. Use the K-Horns - they fit into the corner, sound great.

I had LaScalas and my wife's objection was how far into the room they physically took up.

Sonically, the K-Horns if installed properly, would sound better than the LaScalas. No knock against the LaScalas. My wife is much happier with the Cornwall IIs and their size.

Hope this helps. It's not easy.

dodger

I had that problem several years ago with all the gear I had (could've built several systems out of the lot). But with bankruptcy and a layoff, and having to sell everything but the Cornwalls, I no longer have this problem to contend with (damn, I still wish I did...sucks to be me)!

I've just been through the audio version of change of life. My wife said I could start a Hi Fi store! I've finally sold nearly all my 5.1 stuff, including a beautiful Onkyo DS989, M&K subwoofer, full Legend surround suystem etc, etc and have kept 1 pair KLF 10's in a compact stereo system. I now have the funds to buy Klipschorn and upgrade the rest of my 2 channel gear. It was hard selling my gear, but now I'm glad it's gone.... it opens up so many possibilities. Be strong. Sell the stuff you don't want to get rid of first - the rest is easy.

I think I'm going to follow Edwin. . . divest myself of the extra material. Keep a spare cdplayer and let the rest go and line my pockets with a little green. I love both my systems as they are (the all Decware system with the Radial speakers, EL34 Monoblocks and the newly acquired modified Sony SACD player with tubed output is my smoking choice, the B&O I never would or could have bought, but I dig it plenty for the living room system!) and don't need the clutter and the little whispering "what ifs!"

In reply to Anarchist posting- Well, the idea that you can just go out and a get a new wife is impressive to me. I'd like to leave the juggling of what to put where, up to you and yours though. I certainly wouldn't want to start any trouble.12.gif

----------------

On 6/18/2004 3:32:28 PM thebes wrote:

You've obviosuly caught the Klipsch forum disease. Before I joined, I had a couple of speakers, receiver a cd changer. Didn't realize how unhappy I must have been (check my system profile).

----------------

Truer words have never been spoken! You guys have ruined me! I used to be happy with the K-mart special Sony system my wife had when we married, now I spend all my time thinking about my next addition to my system!