CDP suggestions...

TommyC

OK, my 2 channel system is almost complete (at least until the house remodel is complete!). All I need now is a CD player. I figure I can swing up to Maybe $600 on one and don't need DVD. Any suggestions based on my system listed below?

Oh and I know you guys have asked before, so... Most of my CDs are 60's and 70's rock, Blues, Contemporary Jazz, and some Classical.

Thanks!

Tommy C.

I wouldn't automatically assume a $600 player would be any better than a cheapie nowadays. Might be, might not be.

You can get the Toshiba SD-3950 for under $47 from amazon.com after rebate, free shipping. The brand new Toshiba 4960, which I haven't heard, is around $179 at BestBuy and also plays SACD and DVD-A.

You can get a used Toshiba SD9200 for around $400. This 39 lbs monster, plays DVD-A's, CD's and DVD's. It was Toshiba's top of the line player and used to cost more than $1500. I got one and I love it very much. It sound great with a very smooth and yet detailed sound.

----------------

On 6/19/2004 10:59:07 PM Guy Landau wrote:

You can get a used Toshiba SD9200 for around $400. This 39 lbs monster, plays DVD-A's, CD's and DVD's. It was Toshiba's top of the line player and used to cost more than $1500. I got one and I love it very much. It sound great with a very smooth and yet detailed sound.

----------------

It'd be fun to have a shoot-out between that and one of the new ones. I wouldn't be surprised if the new chip wins.

The new DACs are nice Paul, but a half dozen pounds worth of dedicated power supplies for each channel makes a big difference too. I'm a sucker for things you can barely carry over to the system.

Jesse brought his Cambridge Audio unit with him to the Arkansas get together -- I thought it sounded silky smooth without giving up any detail. It seem like a lot of machine for the money.

----------------

On 6/19/2004 11:02:27 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 6/19/2004 10:59:07 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

It'd be fun to have a shoot-out between that and one of the new ones. I wouldn't be surprised if the new chip wins.

----------------

There are many threads about modified SD3950's at the AA. Some have tried to compare it to the 9200 an although they sounded good, they were still inferior to the 9200. The modified 3950 cost $350 they don't have the same built quality and they don't encode HDCD's.

----------------

On 6/20/2004 8:22:16 AM Guy Landau wrote:

There are many threads about modified SD3950's at the AA. Some have tried to compare it to the 9200 an although they sounded good, they were still inferior to the 9200. The modified 3950 cost $350 they don't have the same built quality and they don't encode HDCD's.

----------------

The vast majority of the people modifying these players are DIYers and have very little money in them. HDCD never caught on so it doesn't matter to most people.

----------------

On 6/20/2004 8:32:53 AM paulparrot wrote:

The vast majority of the people modifying these players are DIYers and have very little money in them. HDCD never caught on so it doesn't matter to most people.

----------------

Whatever you say Paul.

It also plays DVD-A's but they haven't caught too.

In 2003 DVD-A sales were higher than SACD's even though there are much less titles. Does it say that it's time to replace that SACD player of yours? No, it doesn't.

----------------

On 6/20/2004 8:50:40 AM Guy Landau wrote:

In 2003 DVD-A sales were higher than SACD's even though there are much less titles.

----------------

No, DVD-A sales were much lower than SACD. Some of the reports out there didn't differentiate between DVD music titles, which are pretty big sellers, and DVD-A, which are pitiful sellers. Then other SACD sales could be twisted around to not include any hybrid SACDs, just counting those as regular CDs.

My point is, if someone is looking for a CD player, whether it decodes HDCD is likely to be unimportant. If HDCD happens to be important to that individual, that's a different matter of course.

----------------

On 6/20/2004 8:56:20 AM AK-4 wrote:

I still say buy these machines by the pound if you can afford to.

----------------

Power supply improvements are pretty standard when people get things professionally modded, so I'm not saying it's unimportant.

What I am saying is that the main chip in CD players now is much better than anything in the past, I don't care how much it cost. Converting is no longer done on the fly, at 1X time. Now they've got it where the disc spins at multiples of that, and the data is stored in a buffer, and in taking it out of the buffer they can get vanishingly low amounts of jitter.

FWIW I have a Cambridge Audio D500se and enjoy the way it sounds. The Azur series is presumably an improvement on what was already a superb player and which recieved rave reviews from many critics. The new Cambridge is well worth considering.

"The modified 3950 cost $350."

This is why I do it myself.

In the days of disposable DVD players, it would be pointless to spend any more.(From a DIY perspective.)

Dumping a bunch of spendy parts in a 50 dollar player doesn't make sense IMO, when there will probably be another unit down the road that all the DIY's will flip out over and start dumping in the fancy parts, etc..etc...

Nonetheless, a stock Toshiba 3950 does quite well for a 50 dollar DVD player.(For 2 channel CD playback of course, the DVD features the unit are pretty mediocre at best.)

I need to buy another 3950 to desecrate.