Best subwoofer for KLF-30's

Vettemanfrom1973

There are a few Klipsch subs that I am considering to purchase. I am trouble making up my mind and at this point in time I don't want to spend more than $500 CDN unless there are no acceptable alternatives. Anyway the most readily available subs in my ideal price range are the sw-15, KT-sw, KT-sw-II, KSW 15, and the RSW-10. I am currently using a KT-LCR as my center channel until I find a KLF-C7 at a great price and am using garbage as surrounds and I am still undecided at what surrounds I want.

Anyway, the sub is the current priority and I would appreciate some advice.

I would not look below the RSW-12 or the RW-12. Smaller or lower performance subs will not add enough bass below the capability of the KLF-30s the be worth cost. If you can find a KSW-15, it might be O.K., too. Do your best to put any sub in a corner, to enhance it's deep bass performance.

$500 cdn. Hmm, that doesn't leave a lot of options, especially if you are looking for new equipment. You could maybe find a decent used Pardigm pw-2200 for that, as they are around $ 1000 cdn list new. I would tend to steer away from the Ps series, as they are a bandpass design.

Are you familiar with the TRIAD buy/sell newspaper? You can usually find them in brampton/missasauga at corner stores and such.

If you have a spare power amplifier handy, then I would recommend the EZtube shiva passive sub kit from Creative sound solutions. www.creativesound.ca is the website, and you can find more info there on it. It sells for (cdn) $ 349.00 + $ 50.00 shipping, which would work out to $ 459.00 after tax. Buy a used ($75) or new ($175)paradigm x-30 outboard crossover, which would just put you slighly over your budget, but still have a quality subwoofer.

i like my mtx sub15, i got it for 300 US dollars and for the much money it is an outstanding sub. i have the gain up about a third of the way on my klf-20's so it should have no problem keeping up with your klf-30's.

here is the link for the sub, and its newer replacement.

http://www.mtx.com/homeaudio/archive/indexsub.cfm

http://www.mtx.com/homeaudio/products/subwoofers/

Hi,

Look into parts express. They sell a subwoofer kit you can buy yourself. However, don't buy a sub amp. Buy a monoblock amplifier to drive your sub. I bought a used B&K amp for 150.00. It does a wonderful job of driving my home built sub. The Titanic driver used in the kit is a great driver and highly regarded. I went one step further and built my own cabinet which intergrated well into my livingroom. Your preamp should have allow you to select a crossover frequency for your sub or you can buy inline MOD filters.

Good luck

I also think a used Pw2200 is an excellent bargin... there have been a bunch poping up around 400$cnd.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 10:56:30 PM michael hurd wrote:

He is from canada, that is why I didn't recommend buying anything from madisound or parts express.

----------------

But we do have http://www.creativesound.ca/ which carries the Adire brand. This is not really a answer to the initial question though...

Later...

Rob

Geez I'm surprised with the low numbers of people recommending Klipsch Subs on a Klipsch Forum! I was using a Paradigm PS-1000 that I had before getting the KLF-30's. That sub did not come close to keeping up and is now sold. I need a replacement soon.

I am kind of keen on keeping it Klipsch but I will keep an eye out for the PW-2200 or CHT-15.

I am on the edge of purchasing the next larger Klipsch Subwoofer that crosses my path but I will go no smaller than a 12".

When helping me with your suggestions keep in mind that I am trying to decide on a Klipsch Sub and that I am used to the PS-1000 which was okay until the KLF-30's came along. A friend of mine has the KT-SW and I thought it sounded pretty damned good with his KT setup. Which is better the KT-SW vs. KSW-15 or maybe RSW-12 vs. KT-SW. Was the KT-SW not like a $1500 US sub less than a decade ago? Is the RSW-15 too much of a sub for the KLF-30's?

Anyway sorry for all the different questions intertwined here but I its all relevant to the original question and I am appreciating the advice! Thanks.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:35:01 AM assmanfrom1973 wrote:

Geez I'm surprised with the low numbers of people recommending Klipsch Subs on a Klipsch Forum!

----------------

Problem was you maximum budget... Klipsch subs in Canada sell for more than 500$cnd used! Obviously a RSW15, RSW12 and even the RW12 would be good matchs.

I'm not a particular fan of the KSW subs... and you'd be better off with an RW or even a less expensive alternate brand. Note the PW2200 is in an entirely different league when compared to a PS1000. Kinda like comparing a KSW12 with a RSW15.

Later...

Rob

My budget GOAL is to spend $300 US ($500 Cdn.) That is why I am very interested in hearing all the pro's and con's of the speakers in that range which are the SW- 15 or 12, KT-SW, KSW15 or RSW - 10 or 12. It is also only a goal. I can't stop spending its been a crazy year for spending extra and I gotta draw the line somewhere. I am really leaning towards the KT-SW or the SW-15 as I haven't heard complaints, it will probable hold its value good if I get bored with it in 5 years and it seems like a real value considering it sold for over $2000 Cdn less than a decade ago.

Unless you find a great deal used. The RSW-10 and 12 are double to triple

your budget. If memory serves me the RSW-12 is like $1,000 us.So you are

down to the SW's. I had an SW-8II and it was not at all suited for

HT use. The LFE from movie sound tracks was way more than it could take.

There for I would not reccommend the SW series. Sorry but I'm not at all

familiar with the KT-SW.

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 6/21/2004 10:47:35 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i use a velodyne CT-150 with my KLF-30's and it does an awesome job.....

the current model is a CHT-15.... 15" driver with a 250 watt amp (i think the newer model might be 300 watt amp)...

cheers!

1.gif

----------------

I decided on placement by moving sub into my listening position. For some reason it turned out best in the back rear corner behind my bar? (This location was approximately 2db higher than anywhere else, not sure if that could muddle things). Anyway, I am just curious as to what all of your settings are at. I have been playing with speaker levels and freqencies, speaker size settings and when everything is all set I put in some material and it appears the sub is barely working. I'm thinking that maybe the 30's are so efficient I may just need to significantly increase the level that the receiver puts out to the sub? I know the sub works as the LFE tests shakes the whole dam house. For some reason its just not pounding, sub is barely moving!? Anyone else have some suggestions? I love a good deep solid bass and right now I'm just not getting it.

Thanks

Jonathan

I second your call trader. I got a 10" titanic mk3 sub kit. sounds very good but the plate amp clips often with music(certain CD's/songs). but for theater I hear perfect bass. very impressive. I suggest getting a titanic 12" or 15" driver and building it with a mono block amp, these are VERY well built for the money. they have large mags, 2.5" vc's, cast basket, 1.5" peak to peak travel for the 10 and 12" ones and more for the 15", and many other good features. mine little 10" weighs over 19lbs. so that tells you something right there. for bang for the buck this is the ONLY way to go(DIY is the way to go. doesn't have to be a titanic driver).

scp53