Anyone still listen to 78's? I inherited quite a pile...

fini

78s_1.jpg

78s_2.jpg

The other night, I was over at my Mom's place, getting ready to have a garage sale this weekend. I decided to finally go through that big stack of 78s in the garage. To my surprise, ther was some pretty good stuff in there: Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Coleman Hawkins. Absolutely NO Perry Como! And the vast majority seem to be in good shape. I've talked about this haul with Clipped and Allan, and there may be a few "gems" in there, but generally, they're worth about a buck a piece. Mostly, I'm interested in hearing them (that, and the cool cover art!). I have a few Dual turntables around that will play 78's, but don't have a specific 78 cartridge. Allan says the Shure is OK, at around $50 new. Clipped suggests a separate mono system, which seems reasonable, given the 78s older "playback curve"? Or, is this something that can be reasonably simple to adjust with "modern" electronics (such as the Fisher 500c, or even a Nakamichi receiver)? There's an old "Brunswick" console at the thrift right now, maybe pulling that amp, feeding it into the (or one) Khorn...? Come to think of it, my Mom has an old console out in the back room...Uh-oh...

Some people see Alaska as a beautiful wilderness, but I see it as independance from Middle Eastern oil -- a beautiful thing in itself.

And you sir, are a Turkey!

This is an inside joke folks, please don't respond to my ludicrous comment.

Those '78s spin really fast, don't you need a special hot-rodded stylus. :)

Ahhh, the Mr. Coffee Box set - that brings back memories! 2.gif

I do prefer CD's to records sonically, HOWEVER, I miss album jackets and their artwork. There used to be a bit of a thrill to getting a new album home, tearing off the shrink wrap, and seeing what surprises/information was inside. A lot of albums folded out, and sometimes there was pages of information or booklets. It was great to pop the album on the turntable, and sit there and appreciate the artwork while listening.

The excitement just isn't there for CD's. It's just not the same seeing all that artwork compressed down to fit.

Different labels used different EQ curves. A lot of the older vintage amps, 1950s era, have different settings on phono to compensate. The oldest 78s were very flexible on speed as well. My dad's old 78 player was continuously adjustable from somewhere in the 60s rpm to way into the 90s rpm.

Whether you should get a separate player, separate amp, etc. depends on how deeply you want to get involved with it. The best way would be to have a dedicated system with special cartridge and stylus specifically for 78 playback. But it wouldn't be necessary for casual listening.

Here's a good link to some of the EQ settings used by different record companies:

http://sound.westhost.com/project91.htm

----------------

On 6/24/2004 10:17:29 AM AK-4 wrote:

Some people see Alaska as a beautiful wilderness, but I see it as independance from Middle Eastern oil -- a beautiful thing in itself.

And you sir, are a Turkey!

This is an inside joke folks, please don't respond to my ludicrous comment.

Those '78s spin really fast, don't you need a special hot-rodded stylus.
:)

----------------

Naw, I'm thinking about rigging up a solar-powered turntable. Just doing my part!

You can see Alaska from your house? I've gotta get a pair of YOUR glasses!10.gif

fini: Sorry to hear about your piles, man. I understand they can burn and itch pretty bad! I hope you get them taken care of real soon!

Love, Picky 9.gif11.gif2.gif

It's great to have you back!

I do prefer CD's to records sonically, HOWEVER, I miss album jackets and their artwork.

++++++++++++++++

Cleve;

You need to define this more clearly.

Sonicly I prefer a well mastered 180 gram deeep groove vinyl LP.

More realism in the musical instruments than CD. Primarily guitar and cymbals jump out at me as much more real than digital.

Maybe surface noise is a sonic inconvenience for you?

Cleve;

You need to define this more clearly.

Sonicly I prefer a well mastered 180 gram deeep groove vinyl LP.

More realism in the musical instruments than CD. Primarily guitar and cymbals jump out at me as much more real than digital.

Maybe surface noise is a sonic inconvenience for you?

----------------

Audio, that's part of it - surface noise, rumble (not always a function of the turntable, either, in my experience) wow, particularly with a slightly warped record, or sometimes even slightly OFF center pressings!), reduced signal to noise ratio, and the grainyness of inner groove distortion. I do own a couple CBS MasterWorks recordings - one being Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (I honestly can't remember what my other pressings were - haven't looked in the box in years) Those were much better than a 'run of the mill' LP, but still suffered from some flaws I felt.

And that was on speakers far less revealing then my current ones. Of course, I never had a very expensive turntable or cartridge (my current one, which has been in storage for over ten years, is a mid-level Dual coupled with a Shure V-15 series cartridge)

Maybe at some future forum or Klipsch get-together, I can bring albums which I have replaced with CD's and we can AB them on a really good set up. I'd certainly be willing to keep an open mind! 1.gif

Fini,

There are lots of antique reproduction record players that are 3 speed stand alone units that will play these things. Just have a browse on line - most are around $120 new.

A friend of mine in the UK has a portable one that doesn't use electricity - its hand wound (usually sufficient for a single side) and the "speaker" is built into the stylus. Not the best sound quality - but a really cool thing to have on a picnic on Hampstead heath! Sounds dreadfull though.

After a quick hunt on the net the best picture I could come up with was this.

bigbookjpg.jpg

The unit on the left is almost exactly the same as the one Nigel (my friend - actually the best man at my wedding) had.

They do reproductions of these now for very little money indeed.

Actually now I come to think of it here is something you are really not going to believe.

If you had trouble with the idea of the speaker and cartridge being all in one you are going to die when I tell you what he used for needles...

BAMBOO!!

Not kidding - apparently they were all the rage back in the day (like 1920 or so). there was a little gu somewhere in the back of beyond in London that made them - maybe still does....

Some nice stuff there Fini! I have a lot of 78's too. Haven't played them (at least not for decades). I have to get the 78 stylus for my Shure V15 and a different spindle and belt for the Linn before I can play them. I'll probably have to insert an equalizer to compensate for the various EQs as Paul mentioned.

Great find Fini - I have about 200 78s as well - I play them on the victrola - I picked up several hundred new needles a couple of years ago.

Listening to the older 78s this way really is interesting and I remain quite impressed with this non-electrified form of getting sound. As the collectors have probably already told you - Age seems to mean alot here. Most recording techniques in the first couple of decades of the twentieth century were fairly raw to what we consider as acceptable today, so few are masterful recordings, but the quanity produced was fairly low. It is increasingly harder to find playable stuff from before 1916.

If you want to get rid of some I may be interested - otherwise enjoy the experience of going back in time (kind of what happens later in your day as you get tired...)

----------------

On 6/28/2004 1:16:35 PM hwatkins wrote:

If you want to get rid of some I may be interested - otherwise enjoy the experience of going back in time (kind of what happens later in your day as you get tired...)

----------------

...or have a few brewskis...I'm so drunk, I feel 12 again!

Just kidding, here. Kids (I know a lot of youngsters follow my advice), don't drink and type.