which turntable?

tpg

I have the home theater torn apart right now and am remodeling it so to speak... which has me in the upgrade mood. I am already fixing up my current DIY sub... and rewiring everything... and reorganizing the layout... so I could benefit from something new to make the refreshed home theater even more fun.

I have been wanting to pick up a TT for some time, now... but just never did, probably because I don't know a lot about them and am not sure what to look for. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I might need? I can borrow my dad's old records for the time being, but I plan to collect all of the old Van Halen records and some Pink Floyd, etc. So, I probably need a TT that will play every kind of record (what are there... 45, 33 1/3, 78 or something...). Thanks for any help you can be

I can only recommend what I currently own That is a Project 1.2. It's a 2 speed turntable and plays 45's and LP's, but not 78's. The speed change is a bit fiddly requiring you to move the rubber belt by hand before playing 45 singles. I don't play 45's anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

The turntable came already setup with an Ortofon OM5 pickup cartridge. It sounds pretty good and friends have walked into my music room commenting on the good sounding CD. They have been astounded that I was in fact playing an old fashioned record! When I upgrade I will probably go for a Rega P3.

You'll have lots of fun with a record player. I get a real kick out of going to markets and second hand dealers looking through old records. Every now and again you'll come across a classic album.

Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl. It still works and if properly cared for, an album actually sounds BETTER than a CD. You see, in the vinyl groove, PURE music is stored, not music that has been chopped up into 44,000 bits/sec and reassembled. on good systems you can hear this particularly on sine waves, like long violin notes or synthesizer licks (pink floyd)

I have several Technics SL1700 turntables, which were a direct-drive (no belts to stretch or wear out) industry workhorse back in 70's. There is also an industrial model 1200 with a +/- 10% speed control for DJ use. These things are everywhere since many people have grown tired of the storage for vinyl LP's. So far as speeds go, even dinosaurs like Van Halen still recorded at 33 1/3 RPM (the name of a favorite old George Harrison LP). At most you maybe need 45RPM for singles but unless you're a Classical or Jazz fan, you shouldn't need 78 or the even less favorable 16 RPM.

I've always used Stanton cartridges vs the more popular Shure. Reasons, the cantilever is shorter, so less prone to damage, The Stantons seem to have better channel separation (a function of diamond shape and electronics) and some models have a little weighted brush that hangs out the front, which helps stabilize the cartridge against slightly warped LP's.

Good shopping!

DUDE! Make sure your receiver has PHONO inputs, many brands are discontinuing these on these lesser lines. I think with both Yamaha and Denon you must get about 1/2 way up the model listing before you get a phono preamp. This would be fairly expensive to buy as an add-on.

I am not having much luck locating the specific ones listed above... I found a couple Technics (not that model, though) and a Marantz (I kind of like Marantz stuff...) but I have absolutely no clue what I am looking for since I have never done vinyl before. Could someone supply me with a list of good tables to look out for on my search? Thanks

First of all Hello everyone. I am here cause I finally am a proud owner of a pair of Klipsch Cornwall's. I really enjoy this forum. I can recommend the Music Hall MMF-5. I just purchased one not to long ago after owning a Linn Axis, and some other's and Its a really good sounding TT. It's definatly woth a look. Thanks again.9.gif

----------------

On 6/30/2004 11:30:21 PM charlieboy wrote:

First of all Hello everyone. I am here cause I finally am a proud owner of a pair of Klipsch Cornwall's. I really enjoy this forum. I can recommend the Music Hall MMF-5. I just purchased one not to long ago after owning a Linn Axis, and some other's and Its a really good sounding TT. It's definatly woth a look. Thanks again.
9.gif

----------------

Hi Charlieboy. You've got a nice system. Congratulations on your Cornwalls. The Linn Axis I've heard is a nice turntable. I guess you'd be able to find one on ebay. Also I wonder if NAD still make turntables? Also speaking of Goldring (as in your cartridge - very nice!) I just read that Goldring have released a budget turntable/cartridge package. Worth checking out...

Hi edwinr

I dont think NAD makes one any more. It was similar to a Rega I believe. I could never get my Linn dialed in right. The MMF-5 came all setup but I still checked VTA, Tangent, etc.... once over and didn't touch a thing and it sounds really nice for the price wich was 566.00 from Audio Advisor I believe. I might try out a little rock vibration table or something if I can find one cheap. Thanks and take care.16.gif

TPG, Rigma's turntable will be a decent TT for a starter. If you are going to go high end on a budget, I just posted a Thorens 125, which is one of the leading high end TTs with a kick arse tonearm and cartridge. What do you have in your system right now?

----------------

On 7/1/2004 7:11:01 PM tpg wrote:

Rigma-

Do you have any info about the 1500? Pictures? How does it sound? Where are you located? I might be interested in this if it is in good physical shape and sounds good, too.
1.gif

----------------

I will have to get it out and take some pics, which I will do tonight. It is in good shape. I have not used it in years but it sounded fine then. Send me a PM or email with your email address and I will send you pics.

Rigma

I just sold my technics sl-1800 (almost identical to the 1500) for $100. It's a fine starter and they last forever. The only problem is you'll get the itch to upgrade sooner rather than later if you go that route.

What's your budget?

I agree that an upgarde probably will come sooner than later. A direct drive cannot match up to a good belt drive in my opinion. There are some great ebay buys on thorens turntables and such. Also a used rega would be nice. It's hard cause you did not specify a budget. I know you'll find something.2.gif