Frustrated Academy seeker wants to build own spkr

bsacco

I tired of hunting for the Academy...

So, what about building am Academy-like speaker using Heresy parts but with a twist.

Instead of using the wide footprint of a 12" woofer, use (2) 6" speakers instead.

How would one go about designing a speaker like this. I wonder if one of the Forum members has done it already...

Anyhow, I suppose you could modify the Heresy x-over somehow to handle two 6" wookers...

Any ideas?

Tired of hunting for the Academy indeed! I think you'll be much better pleased with your own DIY speaker. Another thing, if you are pleased with the result and want to do some more building, you might well have some takers on the forum.

Somewhere out on the forum, I have seen some very nice DIY centers done in the manner you are thinking. Seems like one of them had the K77 and K700 horns in the middle flanked by an 8" woofer on either side.

Most of the Academy parts are still available from Klipsch. I would use 8" drivers minimum. If you get the drivers and crossover, all you need is an input cup and to build a sealed rectangular enclosure to house it in. You can get the dimensions from Klipsch or from a forum member pretty easily I would think. The parts from Klipsch are going to run around ~$300 though.

I am one of those that has taken your path and can fully recommend the solution (especially if you are doing as I - matching a Heresy HT set up). You can see the results here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

The specifics - K77,K55, standard Heresy mid horn, Fostex 167 Sigma (7") mid woofers and type E network.

I had the K22 Thiele Small measurements so my search centered on woofs that would play nicely with the E Network. The Fostex (a reasonably acclaimed full range speaker) wired in parallel were very close. I used WinISD, Unibox and BoxPlot to design the box - I had height constrains as a starting parameter. In my config a sub is necessary - FRs are notoriously weak Low enders unless you horn load them in some way (especially these Fostex). That is OK - I have augmented the Heresy with a sub for quite some time.

After a couple of years - still like the results. A tad expensive mid woofs, but a wonderful match for the Heresy - all run small on reciever with sub below 80 hz - they all perform reasonably well an octave below the Xover point.

Others should chime in - there are some other variations folks have done that look to be extremely nice.

hwatkins...great HT setup....

I always though the best way to get rear surrounds would be to mount hereseys right into the ceiling at a 45 degree angle like you did...wow! it must sound fabulous!

nice job on the center speaker...

How long did it take to build?

IMO you'll be happier with a Heresy-based center than with an Academy. Heresy parts come up on eBay with some frequency, but it always seems like the parts to build one end up costing more than just buying a pair outright. If I were in your shoes I think I'd just try to be patient about picking up a pair that is, um, cosmetically challenged, scavenge one for parts for the front center and see if the other has potential for a rear center. 1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a center made of Heresy parts & 2 8" drivers. I first used the same inside dimensions as the original Heresy but it sounded terrible. I then remade the box to the specs of the 2 drivers I was using (a pair of Infinity car subs) & it came out excellent. It timber matches my Belle's very well. The pics dont show it, but there is now a grill cloth covering the entire top of the cabinet over the screen.

My theater

For parts, I was looking for a single Heresy but found them priced around $300. I finally bought a pair local for $400 & no shipping costs. I may use the extra for a rear center some day.

If you have Cornwalls... A Heresy or another Cornwall for the center. End of story. LOL

(The vertical Corn is a HOME RUN!) An academy is not a good timbre fit with Cornwalls that are BIG great sounding speakers... An academy is a great fit for forte and chorus...