sub recommendations

mandi

Well, I have given up on the search engine. I am sure this has been addressed. What would be my best choice for a sub given Cornwalls for mains and Fortes for surrounds. The room size is 20 by 30 with 10 foot ceilings. As you can see I am currently using a paradigm PS1000. what ever it is, it probably needs to be at least a 15 inch right?

I can't believe no one has answered a sub question in a day. Usually sub threads are hot topics. I guess I'll start. 6000 cubic feet is a large area to fill with bass. I trial and errored 2 subs (both too small) and then e-mailed SVS with room dimensions. Perfect match on the first try. You will find that sub owners are loyal to their brand, allmost to a fault, so take what is given with a grain of salt. Opinions are like a......., well you know what I mean. Good luck hunting, Carl

----------------

On 7/1/2004 7:07:27 PM mandi wrote:

What would be my best choice for a sub given Cornwalls for mains and Fortes for surrounds. The room size is 20 by 30 with 10 foot ceilings. ... What ever it is, it probably needs to be at least a 15 inch right?

----------------

We seem to have a similar speaker setup and you definitely need a pretty serious sub to keep up with them. You didn't mention budget, relative subwoofer size, or listening habit... so I'm guessing you'd like most woofer for your $ that will keep up?

I've gone the DIY route and am very pleased... but there are other alternatives that would do well.

Klipsch KW-120-THX or RSW15 should pretty well (esp in a pairs)... but arent inexpensive... and the same goes with the Velodyne HGS15 and 18. The SVS PB2+ offers a lot of bang for the buck... but it isn't small. My DIY AV15 sub is about the same size as the PB2+ with a 6ft3 volume.

Later...

Rob

the most popular i've heard/read about on various forums, including here, are:

--SVS (call them and describe your needs...they will recommend the best option)

--klipsch rsw-15

i cannot imagine going wrong with either of the choices above!

----------------

On 7/3/2004 10:01:42 PM mandi wrote:

I am surprised there are not more opinions.

----------------

You would have probably gotten more in the "subwoofer" section... although mine would remain the same in either section... and given that you haven't mentioned a budget.

I'm going to throw my vote in for the SVS route. Fire Tom & Ron an email w/ the info you provided here and your listening habits (music, movies, volume, etc.) and I'll bet they recommend a sub to you that will fit your needs and your budget. They are known for not overselling their products, but instead giving customers the best bang for their buck.

John

I've seen them mentioned a few times in these discussions. They're almost mentioned in the exact same way you mentioned them. Someone has heard one, but they seem to be few and far between. Everything I've heard has been positive.

John

Hey Mandi,

I've got Cornwalls and just a little KSW12 for subs. I think it depends a lot on your listening habits and room. My room is fairly large and 'live' and is on a wood-framed floor. That way the sub gives plenty of floor shock. I don't think I would want much more low end, it would sound unnatural. For massive theatre installations, maybe go with the RW15 with more power and output.

sorry, got my letters mixed up. But I'm real happy with my little KSW12. It's only got maybe 100 watt amp and regular fibre material cone, but it's got all the inputs and controls and works really well with the Cornwalls. Only paid maybe $225 for it since it was B-stock.

If I really feel the need to shake the house (naaahhh) , I'll hook up the CROWN 1200 to my JBL 4645 (18" theatre) cabinets.