Fifth Element

ygmn

Dittos on the fact this wasn't a big hit. To me, its alot more fun to watch than Star Wars and Star Trek movies.

The filmmakers went out of their way to make everything different and unexpected-there are alot of surprises compared to most sci-fi pix:

-Gary Oldman, the evil genius, with a redneck accent

-A fashion designer did all the over top clothes. You gotta love Lelu's straps.

-The henchmen are truly ugly--killer effects there

-Ploston Paradise is where I want to go on vacation

-fantastic weapons for everybody-no faser/lasers here

I've seen the Fifth Element more than a dozen times, and its always entertaining--I wish I saw it in the theater--

How about Chris Tucker's blonde hair with the tube. No one can forget his screaming. My wife almost rolls in the floor when she hears it. I like the option on the weapon that every shot fired zeroes in on the first shot made. If it somehow made back to the big screen I'd go see it.

Grateful

You guys that have this new version. Does it default to the DTS soundtrack for you. We're getting tons of returns on this title at work and when I tried it in a player it plays the DTS track instead of the "regular" 5.1. A typical customer just jams the thing in the player and presses play. I could tell it was DTS because the DTS splash-screen popped up before the movie started.

I'll make this as straightforward as I can. If you insert the disc and wait for the menu to come up and select the "play movie" option what happens? Does the DTS track play or does the English 5.1 track play? Joe Consumer will not have the ability to process a DTS track so he/she will hear nothing. Next they'll return it to where they bought it from.

I don't understand what you're saying about the Yamaha determining the mode. What, does it randomly just pick one that's available? The user must decide the language track that plays by selecting it from the language menu.

All I meant by this is that I've never seen a DVD that defaults to the DTS track. It'll usually default to the DD or 5.1 track. An average consumer will not take the time or is even educated enough about DVDs to poke around in the language options to correct this snafu. Trust me...I talk to idiots all the time at work who buy full-screen movies because they think "they're showing the whole movie and not chopping off the top and bottom with those stupid black bars". Some actually have nice widescreen tvs and buy full-screen movies and use the zoom/stretch feature to fill the screen. I want to hit them in the face. I had a lady the other day telling me that it was a "communist conspiracy with those damn rectangle movies...I ain't buyin' no damn new rectangle tv. My husband would freak out if I brought a widescreen movie home."

OK, I get ya now. I didnt even go to the language menu when I watched it, I didnt know 5.1 was an option on the disk itself.

Mine defaults to English DTS.

I set it to English 5.1 and removed the disk then reinserted it and it was back to English DTS.

I guess I'm your typical jamming customer. LOL! But I thought I was buying DTS and that's what I got, so I'm happy.

What I mean about the Yamaha mode is, for example, I could set it to 2 channel stereo and that's the way I would hear the movie. Or Prologic II or DTS or concert hall or 7 channel stereo or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 2/12/2005 1:51:37 PM magnum29 wrote:

Some good behind the scenes stuff: interview with the Diva actress, how they did the special effects, some screen tests. Worth a look.

----------------

I bought a copy of the new release off EBAY and I say it is a must have for the Fifth Element fans out there! Great interviews and background on the development of the movie and it's origins.

But I am still having a difficult time parting with my original silver boxed Superbit version ...

If you guys like Fifth Element, you should check out Luc Bessen's other movies. The ORIGINAL Taxi Trilogy (In French), not the aweful American remake, is halarious and AMAZING. Also, The Transporter and Wasabi are great movies of his too, off beat, simple stories, focus on characters interactions. Great movies. I'm a big Bessen Fan.