How do pawn shops determin values?

kenratboy

Roger that. They ebay method sucks, ecspecially when the do a history search and use the *highest value* without regard to condition, etc. There are a pair of kg4s in a pawn shop near me, and they want 800$ for them. They have had them for over three years, not even in good shape. FInally I asked the guy running the shop what gives, why 800$ for 100-200$ speakers. He told me that klipsch speakers sell on ebay everyday for 1000$ and up, and it was a good deal. I then asked him how come *he* didn't just sell them on ebay, seeing as how he has had them for at least three years. He told me he hated the hassle of shipping things. I then laughed at him. Ohwell, I figure I'll just go in every year or so and ask about them, see how the price changes.

----------------

On 7/11/2004 2:05:29 PM mdeneen wrote:

I think they look in your eyes, measure your desparation and work from the bottom up.

mdeneen

----------------

Just like my masseuse...

----------------

On 7/11/2004 2:53:55 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 7/11/2004 2:05:29 PM mdeneen wrote:

I think they look in your eyes, measure your desparation and work from the bottom up.

mdeneen

----------------

Just like my masseuse...

----------------

hehehehe I have GOT to GET ME ONE of THOSE!9.gif

Having bought many sets of Klipsch speakers from pawn shops, just ask what's their best cash price. If its too high walk away, they will usually deal more, especially if they have had them for a while. I have bargained on all sets except the k-horns one locally had for $500 for, I didn't haggle over tax or anything. I laid down the cash before they realized that was a good price for just one. Having pawned a few items, they low ball the pawners then usually at least double what they gave for the item.

Deals are out there (offer, haggle, or trade)

I go into the pawn shops often. I know the mgrs or owners but I have never told them I was looking for anything in particular. I am afraid if they know what I am looking for, when they get it they will jack the price up and wait for me to come walking in.

You folks are being a little hard on pawn shop owners and second hand dealers.

FWIW I ran a second hand store for several years.The price I paid for used goods was based on many criteria:

Saleability.........Is there an immediate market for this item ?

Condition

Availability of a comparable new unit

Price of a comparable new unit.

Re: Saleability

A piece that was is in like new condition from a reliable source but which was likely to sit in my store until the cows came home would result in an offer of perhaps 10% of new retail as I knew that my money ( and floorspace ) would be tied up indefinitely until such time as the item sold at 50-70 percent of new price.

Condition:

A $3000.00 amp that looks like hell and is missing important pieces is worth far less than a working and pristine $600.00 amp. The $3000.00 basket case would be worth $100.00 to me while the $600.00 gem might bring the seller $200.00

Availability:

If a piece were desirable and essentially unobtainable ( A rare combination to be sure then condition becomes of lesser importance).

Price of a comparable new unit:

Obviously the benchmark.

Resale Pricing:

Generally I attempted to get somewhere in the range of 50% to 70% of current new price for my goods.

Here is a fact of life that most people ignore when determining what should be a fair price for a piece of furniture,audio amp, or freeze dried chicken lips:

Here is a real world example:

Occupancy costs for a 3000 sq. ft store ( in a low rent --and therefore low retail traffic volume district ):

$2000.00/mo based on a triple net lease

$1000.00/mo for taxes and utilities

$1000.00/mo for part time help

$2000.00/mo for 1 full time clerk/delivery helper/display person/sales etc.

$500.00/mo. advertising and promotion

Given the relatively high overhead in running a retail store and the generally small $ volume generated it is difficult to make a lot of money in used goods.

Owner purchases a nice sofa,loveseat and chair suite for $300.00 and spends another $50.00 for ulpholstery cleaning solvents and labour by his part time helper and sells it 3 months later for $1000.00 pretty nice profit you say....Do the farking math boyos !

A 3 pc. takes about 100 sq. feet of floor space while on display Thus raw floor space cost is about $200.00

24k/4/30

Utilities etc. 3000/30 =100.00

P/T Labor

3000/30 =100.00

Full time staffer

6000.00/30 = 200.00

Advertising

1500/30 = 15.00

Therefore real cost to store owner ( assuming that the owner is able to operate on a cash basis w/out borrowing against an operating line) for that 3 piece suite if it is on the floor for 90 days breaks down to:

Purchase price 300.00

Preparation 50.00

Utilities etc. 100.00

Floor area 200.00

P/T help 100.00

F/T help 200.00

Advertising 15.00

Total Cost 965.00

Net to owner $1000.00 - 965.00 = 35.00

Therefore a high markup is mandatory even on items that use litle display space and which can be expected to sell quickly.

Interestingly all too often the same people who feel that 30000-40000 per year is a fair minimum salary feel that a second hand dealer is ripping off any net profit that he might generate while working 10-12 hours daily 6 or 7 days per week.

I suggest that the dealers profits ( If any ) are as legitimate as the salary or wages paid to you by your employers.

As a consumer my only interest is whether the goods that I purchase are personally worth what I am paying. If someone is making a profit on my purchase ......fine by me.

Reputable pawn shops will loan someone about 20-30% of Orion bluebook used value. If it's an outright sale, they'll give half. They'll then sell it for half original list price.

I have a local pawn that's really a good place to buy used music equipment - but only if you know how to aggressively negotiate with them - lowball big time.