Now Heresy Original - Scott & Other Tube AMP Question?

JjR

If you buy an amp that has already been trimmed up in the past couple of years it is fine. A forty year old amp will have problems and needs to be looked at. TSome caps may need replacing and the selinium rectifier needs to be replaced for sure, if it is an old unit. I have an LK-72 and it sounds very good, it is currently upstairs with the McIntosh monoblocks downstairs. Unfortunately, they will cost more than you are looking to spend. They would make you happy for many years to come, so if you can spring for the extra $3-400 to get them bought and up to speck they would be a good investment. For your price range, you are looking solid state and if you check some of the posts in the past few days you will find options that have been pointed out.

Neo has it in for Craig and since Craig fixes amps, Neo views this as solicitation for new business. That is where this is coming from and may help make some sense out of these posts.

Craig,

I just think that it is most important for any new forum folks to get the information from firsthand users and to learn who can be trusted around here.

When I joined up last year it was posts like I just made above that helped me understand these points, and make some of the smartest purchases I ever made in audio.

And yes, all this will cost you.11.gif2.gif

----------------

On 7/15/2004 8:12:10 AM JjR wrote:

Does anyone currectly have a Fisher 400 in use with there Heresys?

WOuld it be a good match? Any +/- about the unit?

Thanks
----------------

Yes (and no) - I have used the 400 with Heresy and found it quite enjoyable. The 400 does a reasonable job with Bass but I believe you will find that the mentioned Scotts will do a bit better with the Heresy.

I really like my 400, but (as may be the case regardless) I really think I would have to outboard low frequency. I don't feel quite the same with the Heresy (moved from the Fisher) with the old HK740 SS. I have a couple of homemade speakers on the 400 and I think they sound better to me because I have tuned the box to around 40hz and the speaker does a better job on the LF. I am enamoured with the phono stage on the 400 and the tuner's ability to draw in the weaker FM stations.

I have tested the 400 with a mock up of my new project which will have a LF box tuned to 40hz as well and was very impressed.

My 2 cents - if the message wasn't clear - I was only talking to my ear and making SWAGs on why I hear the difference.

I'm not sure if this is apropriate here, but I have a Scott LK-48-B (kit version of 222D) and a Fisher 500C that I would sell one or the other, but not both. The Scott is all origional except for replacing the output coupling caps. I used it daily from last fall till a couple of weeks ago when I replaced it with another amp I like. The Scott works good and has low hum and sounds good. The Fisher has many tubes missing, but the amp works good when I put tubes in it. The tuner needs a tune-up.

I'd let the Scott go for $200 plus shipping, the Fisher for $150 plus shipping. Both sound good with the Heresy 1's I have. The Scott has more full sounding bass.

You can see the Scott on my website.

http://www.geocities.com/the_hurdy_gurdyman/

Email me for more details.

I hadn't really thought much about selling these, but I'm a bit short of cash right now and trying to fix up a motorcycle and put it on the road while there is still good weather left to ride it. I may not offer these for sale again once I'm caught up finacially (one never knows about these things).

Dave1.gif

----------------

On 7/16/2004 8:55:35 AM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

I'm not sure if this is apropriate here, but I have a Scott LK-48-B (kit version of 222D) and a Fisher 500C that I would sell one or the other, but not both. The Scott is all origional except for replacing the output coupling caps. I used it daily from last fall till a couple of weeks ago when I replaced it with another amp I like. The Scott works good and has low hum and sounds good. The Fisher has many tubes missing, but the amp works good when I put tubes in it. The tuner needs a tune-up.

I'd let the Scott go for $200 plus shipping, the Fisher for $150 plus shipping. Both sound good with the Heresy 1's I have. The Scott has more full sounding bass.

You can see the Scott on my website.

Email me for more details.

I hadn't really thought much about selling these, but I'm a bit short of cash right now and trying to fix up a motorcycle and put it on the road while there is still good weather left to ride it. I may not offer these for sale again once I'm caught up finacially (one never knows about these things).

Dave
1.gif

----------------

You have been Emailed and Yes I'm looking for a AMP

NO, you should probably listen to Neo and make sure and send your gear to a complete stranger with no vested interest. THat way you can be assured not to be ripped off. Me, I just don't no any better and do the opposite.

And while you are at it NEVER by gear from a Forum member, beacuse as Neo mentions in undertones, you just can't trust people you know.

Well I bit the bullett and bought a Fisher 400 Receiver, when they guy threw in free shipping I could not pass it up.

So its back to another receiver , but I figure that I have to start somwhere plus.

BTW is anyone using one on this site?

JjR-

Congrats on the 400. It's a great unit. It is basically a simpler design on the Fisher 500C/800C. And as Craig likes to say, "Simple is good." I demo'ed one here on my K-horns before taking it over to my parents. It sounds really good; plenty of bass, nice crisp highs. My parents are running it on a set of Chorus IIs and it sounds good there as well. One drawback on it is availablity/cost of the 7868 output tubes. NOS is about the only way to go, though I did see that EH is going to be making a new 7868 tube. Check out

http://www.turnstyle.com/nsc/search.asp

They seem to be a bit pricey; you can get NOS tubes for that amount, but glad to see a new source for these tubes is out there. Enjoy.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 12:51:48 PM jhawk92 wrote:

JjR-

Congrats on the 400. It's a great unit. It is basically a simpler design on the Fisher 500C/800C. And as Craig likes to say, "Simple is good." I demo'ed one here on my K-horns before taking it over to my parents. It sounds really good; plenty of bass, nice crisp highs. My parents are running it on a set of Chorus IIs and it sounds good there as well. One drawback on it is availablity/cost of the 7868 output tubes. NOS is about the only way to go, though I did see that EH is going to be making a new 7868 tube. Check out

They seem to be a bit pricey; you can get NOS tubes for that amount, but glad to see a new source for these tubes is out there. Enjoy.

----------------

Thanks!!!!!!3.gif