La Scala testing

Joel P

You could use an ohmeter ( included in a multimeter ) but unless you are prepared to individually test each driver for continuity it will only tell you whether any one driver connected to the crossover has an intact voice coil.

Will either seller guarantee that all drivers are functional ? If one will and one will not go with the seller who will guarantee functionality (unless of course that pair is grossly inferior in appearance to the unguaranteed pair).

If neither will or if the cosmetics of one are greatly superior to the other go with the better looking pair.

Worst case any bad driver in a Lascala will be easily replaced ( or repaired ) and at a low cost.

Generally speaking Lascalas are tough old birds and at ( almost) worst you might be looking at replacing a tweeter diaphragm or two. If the Lascalas have been used in a professional application then they might have a blown woofer but even then the replacement woofer is about $125.00 direct from Klipsch.

Both pair are HD La Scala's.

$2200 for both.

No way to hook up an amp to try them out. No power.

1 set was in a bar, the other was in a skating rink.

I know La Scala's are efficient, is there a way to hook up a portable cd/mp3 player to them?

He said he would take $1700

Pull off the bottom covers and inspect the woofers given the environment they were in. You can check each individual driver with a multimeter. Make sure the crossovers look like they are in good shape. $1700 is reasonable, that is $850 per pair a fair price even if they are defective in some way. The woofers are reasonably priced direct from Klipsch and Bob Crites (BEC) can hook you up with driver repairs for a fair price if needed. John Warren, Al Klappenberger (ALK), Bob Crites (BEC) or Dean G. (AK4) can take care of you in the crossover department. If you can get the seller down a hundred or two that would be great but at $1700 unless they are completely inoperable you can make repairs at a reasonable price. I would be tempted to go for it.

You can use any Walkman/MP3 player to test La Scalas.

You an use a multi-meter to test the drivers. you must take a flathead screwdriver and remove at least one lead to the driver being tested from the crossover.

The tweeter will read 7.5 or so if good.

The squawker will reed 12.5 or so if good.

The woofer will read 3.2 or so if good.

"Or So" generally means +/- 0.2 ohms.

Any driver can be overhauled for $60 to $80. If the drivers are good, but it doesn't play, the crossover is at fault. Crossovers are easy to fix, but difficult to troubleshoot over the internet.

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/14/2004 8:54:23 PM Joel P wrote:

Both pair are HD La Scala's.

$2200 for both.

I know La Scala's are efficient, is there a way to hook up a portable cd/mp3 player to them?

He said he would take $1700

----------------

If he is asking $1,700 for two (2) pair, i.e., four speakers, that is a very good price depending on the shape of the exterior. Keep in mind that you can get the "home" version in excellent shape for $1,000 which you would be able to test and could get assurances on. There are a couple of great posts you can search for on this forum about what to look for when purchasing LaScalla's depending on the year of manufacture. You should try and get the S/N's ahead of time and post them on here so that you can get some more input on what the original drivers and cross-overs should be.

A portable cd might be a little light, but you can for sure hook them up to a car stereo system, right off the amp. I know because I had to test a pair this way myself and you can get them cranked up as high as you need for a good test.

Good luck,

Travis

Buy em unless they're trash. Be prepared for 'eau de bar' that funky smokey/beer aroma that permeates all gear housed at bars for any length of time.

Horn drivers can be repaired and Woofers reconed at very reasonable prices. You need not buy new/replacement drivers from the manufacturer. Look for local PA/guitar amp repair facilities in your area for repairs.

ROCK ON!