I just bought a pair of Shorthorns

greg928gts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/20/2004 6:49:01 AM sheltie dave wrote:

...I talked to CaptnBob, and picked up one of his identical bowtie EV 15WKs for slightly less, and the sound is within spitting distance. Bob had already reconed it in town at a real good restoration coner, who no longer has any sets
8.gif
I would imagine Bob Crites or Khorn58 might know an old fool who still has a recone kit, but unlike Altec, the Klipsch stuff is RARE at this point for old rebuilds.

I found a guy in St. Louis who has two T shorthorns over the weekend, but he is the type who wants $15,000 for the Model T on blocks in the weeds...

He kept poking me asking how they sounded.

----------------

Dave, how much did you pay CaptnBob for that 15WK?

BEC, Khorn58: do either of you know of any remaining 15WK kits or reconers?

I had a single "T" once; its bass went down to near K-horn depths. However, the "S" models, which we're talking about here, had a great, open sound, and the upper drivers are at a much nicer height than in the squat T's.

Larry

khorn58, that is cool, so you have all three speakers? I too like the front grill of the shorthorn very much, there's no reason why something like that couldn't be built for a Cornwall.

Frzninvt, I didn't realize until you pointed it out that the Cornwall did indeed come from the Shorthorn. So the slot on the back of the Shorthorn is a port. I love putting the history of Klipsch together like that.

Thanks D-man.

Greg

greg928s4

Yes! I do have all three matched early klipsch stereo set up with 59 klipsch brocher showing this set up.

the model h and short horn are set up to match the khorn output of 104 db's at 3 feet.

i attached a pic of the early cornwall like your shorthorn.

post-7786-13819257122612_thumb.jpg

drivers 60 cornwall.

I do not know of anyone that has nos rebuild kits for the Ev klipsch 15. If I find some I let you guys know of them. I am also looking for Nos rebuild kits for The Stevens trusonic 15's. I 2 blown ones and one that is badly torn.

post-7786-13819257126292_thumb.jpg

I would tend to leave the shorthorn all orig if you can.

They look real nice to me for vintage short horns.

I would think the value would go down if they were refished and the grills changed.

You could always make new front panels and keep the orig ones foe resale later.

I once refinshed a 63 fender strat to look new. Yhe orig sunburst finsh was a bit worn and faded I end up turning a 10- 15 guitar in to 5 grand .

I like my klipsh Orig I always pass on refinsh vintage ones on ebay.

----------------

On 7/21/2004 11:17:07 AM CaptnBob wrote:

I wonder if the grillcloth on Shorthorn #2 (the white one) is original. Nothing personal, but the installation doesn't look as "crisp" as you usually see on Klipsches. Still, a very nice speaker.
2.gif

----------------

Captn, it seems to me that I have seen that highly decorative grillcloth (on his earlier Shorthorn) on other Klipsch's from the late '50s, such as a mint K-horn pair sold in Oregon or the PNW in just the last year. To me, it looks more original and goes with the wood design better than the white, which I think looks substandard for Klipsch.

Larry

You are right, Larry. The multi weave cloth with wires was one of the Klipsch-installed fabrics they had "on hand" from the factory. We should have asked Jim Hunter what % of their business was kit vs factory built back in the day, but it is likely the owners were fairly enterprising and would cobble whatever fabric the lovely wife wanted for the facade and wings. Of the fourteen Shortys I have seen on ebay, posted, and in person, nine different fabrics were installed, so certainly this is one area not set in stone by the factory!

It is relatively easy to whip up another set of wings and a facade frame, veneer the frame, and install desired cloth, keeping intact the "original" quality of the speakers to be switched out as you desire. The new homplate has turned out well, and involved only fifteen minutes of work, my kind of job!2.gif

• 4 months later...

I brought this thread back up because I would like to pursue the idea of matching the components up on these two speakers. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has thoughts on how you would match them up.

I think having another EV woofer would be nice, but I'm not sure about the midrange and tweeter.

I'd still like to hear your opinion about restoring these cosmetically. I think it would be nice to have them looking original, but fresh, like new. I understand the value may go down in some peoples opinion, but I believe they might be worth more in others, especially if the restoration is well done.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly, the woofer of choice for these is the Trusonic 103LX (I think that's the variant - it has a 3.2 ohm voice coil.) After that, I'd look for a pair of EV-15WKs with the phenolic-impregnated (orange) surround. To my ears, the EV-15WKs (the "K" is important) with the paper surround did not sound quite as full in the low end. All the Shorthorns I've seen use the 16 ohm University midrange driver. I'm not sure when the K-55s began to be used, although a May 1963 price list shows an admittedly indistinct drawing of one which resembles the more "squared off" version. The tweeter is the T-35/K-77.

In real world terms, you'll probably need to keep your eyes peeled on ebay to find one that matches either one of yours and go with that. I finally gave up waiting and bought a pair to replace my mismatched woofers, and sold all the odd ones. (Sorry8.gif ) Matching does make a great difference in all sorts of ways.

One final note - if you do locate one, make sure whoever's shipping it knows what they're doing. I thought I'd found one once, but the guy tossed it in a box with a bunch of packing peanuts and no protection for the front. There wasn't much left by the time UPS got through with it...

Those are beautiful. I've got to purchase more Heritage before they're all gone!

Has anyone here collected photos of some of the various woods/grille fabrics used in the 'olden' days? It would be an interesting collection and useful to those of us wanting to do reveneer/recloth projects.

Thanks for the review, you do awesome work. I'll do a SEARCH for veneer vendors, sure thats' been posted before. Planning on rebuilding my old Cornwalls and building a new center Cornwall from components recently purchased.

Michael

Those shorthorns are beautiful. What tube gear did PWK like to listen to in 1959? I have read that his favorite tube was the 2A3 but what did he own and listen to on a regular basis. I wonder hmm. It would be cool to setup a 1950's vintage system tube gear and tt like PWK would have had.

Thanks Chris, but Larry is sending me a EV-15WK to match my other one.

I'll be very happy to have both woofers matching, I think that will have the most impact on the speakers sounding the same. I would like to have both midrange drivers matching, if for no other reason, cosmetics. I will paint the midrange horns the same color and also the boards that the crossovers are mounted on. When I'm finished I'd like to have these be very close to being a matched pair.

Anyone have thoughts on switching both midranges to SAHF? What does SAHF stand for? What do they look like? Perhaps more importantly, how do they sound?

Greg