Best DVD/CD or Dedicated CD Player For Under $300?

zoran13

Looking to improve my CD playback. Have read through some of the threads here.

Currently am limited to using my DVD player/recorders for such tasks: Pioneer 510 and JVC XV-N50BK (Sad, but true)

I am running both into a vintage analog-only HK730 twin-powered receiver/amp (1975 era)

My speakers are Cornwalls and soon-to-be CF3's.

I have read good things here and elsewhere about the Philips 963SA and some of the Sony's (DVD/CD) players. Their upsampling appearently does wonders? Have heard mostly good things about NAD players as well.

Given my current set-up, are any of these really going to make a big difference and improve the sound of my CD's over what I am using currently?

The pioneer 563A is a nice unit. SACD,cd,dvd,dvd-A at around 150.00. The Decware unit is awesome. You can get the sony new for around 180.00. Then mod it like was said. Phillips makes a good one too cant rember the model though. Lots of good used buys but you know how that goes. Ive been really happy with my adcom 575 cd player and 600 d/a converter. It still kicks butt as far as im concerned of regular cd playback.This combo can be had for around 300-400 bucks on ebay for nice ones with boxes.

----------------

On 7/16/2004 6:55:50 PM WhoozYoDaddy wrote:

Get the Toshiba 3960. Its $60. Toshiba never meant for it to be that good, but its CD quality is up there with the big boys. Its a mistake, a good mistake. I think ill buy 2-3 backups
9.gif

----------------

I agree with the Toshiba recommendation. I currently own the Toshiba 900E. A brilliant CD player and easily a match for the best from Sony And Phillips. I don't know about NAD though. My brother has had two and each have suffered reliabilty problem - mainly with the displays failing.

Nice tips gang but Zoran- NEVER sell your Cornwalls. I have a pair and have been reading this forum and several international reviews lately. THey are some of the finest speaker designs going in terms of low distortion, high efficiency, smooth response etc. Someone on this FOrum recently sold his Corns, was very sorry and was luckily able to purchase them back. I repeat NEVER sell the Corns! Have fun with other upgrades, though.

Happy listening!