RF-7's - What Receiver?

guapo

Whats up all, I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on a receiver that would work well with RF-7 series speakers. I've seen so much info that says HT Receivers dont do these speakers justice. Im looking to spend up to $1200-1400 on the receiver. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure about the price you're looking at - you may not do the 7's justice in that range. People here seem to favor B&K, Denon and Pioneer Elite - but I'm not sure the price on any of those.

If you haven't already, you may want to do a search on this forum - you'll probably find 20 threads on this question over the last 3 months. You don't want to short yourself on the amp with the 7's. They are revealing speakers and you'll know if you're feeding them poor power. Good luck!

Thanks, I went through some of the posts and some ppl make it sound like a Denon (3805)in that price range will work good and others make it sound like it will be a waste of a good speaker. I also noticed people writing about running their Receivers as pre-amps. Down the line if I wanted to upgrade to separates, would I just need to purchase an AMP and run it off a receiver I bought?

The Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi should be avaialble next month. It has all of the features of the 55TXi plus video upconversion and a slightly better amp.

I have a Pioneer 49TXi that does a good job, but I prefer an outboard amp to run my RF-7s. Pioneer Elites make good processors and have good amps as receivers go.

Bill

I would like to second seperates over a receiver. I went with the Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro and a used Parasound 855A amp to drive my RF-35's. Sure their not in the same league as your 7's, but still sound nice to me. And they sound much nicer now with the seperates over the Pioneer receiver I replaced.

• Like 1

Hey Guapo, I use a 7.1 ch.YamahaRX-V 1400 with my RF7s at the moment. I cant complain about the way they sound, neither can anyone that has visited my home and listened to them. But I do not expect to stay with this receiver long, it was just a good receiver at a descent price. Now from what I have been told the Z1 by Yam. has dropped a great deal in price since the new Z9. I have heard even in your price range.http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-Z1.htm

Well this is an easy ?,Rotel 1056,for an avr you won't get closer to seperates at $1200 new.The Rotels have a 5yr warranty and you can update online with included cables.I have had the 3802/03/05 all good units but not in the audio quality league of Rotel.I have also had the 7200,several Onkyos,53txi,and a few more.The B&k's are good also but about $2300 new,just go seperates if you got $2500.

----------------

On 7/18/2004 10:47:42 PM guapo wrote:

Thanks, I went through some of the posts and some ppl make it sound like a Denon (3805)in that price range will work good and others make it sound like it will be a waste of a good speaker. I also noticed people writing about running their Receivers as pre-amps. Down the line if I wanted to upgrade to separates, would I just need to purchase an AMP and run it off a receiver I bought?

----------------

Well, I started out with a Denon AVR3802, which was the current model in that "3800" series at the time. I though it sounded awesome at the time, and I still think it sounds really great with the RF-7s. I then heard some '7s driven with outboard amplification (at the time, it was with Aragon equipment), and I just knew I had to get that. It just sounded friggan unbelievable. Alas, no Aragon locally, but - hoo-boy - B&K was available! I ended up with a B&K Ref 200.7 amp, with which I am currently using that very Denon AVR3802 as a pre/pro, and it is just un-FRIGGAN-believable! I still get all giddy whenever I put anything on this!.

In my opinion, for that $1,200, you will not really do much better than getting that Denon unit (or perhaps similiar units from H/K, Marantz, Yamaha, or Pioneer). I personally like Denon, because as I am finding out, it has an excellent pre/pro section, and works beautifully with out-board amplification. The Denon would make an excellent stepping stone. A great unit in of itself, and makes for an excellent pre/pro when you eventually get out-board amplfication.

As far as seperates go, yeah, for a few extra bucks, you can just get into the Outlaw gear, from which I hear is pretty darn good. I've not heard the Outlaw gear myself, so I cannot comment on it's performance, but I have seen where people mentioned they thought it sounded a bit "dry".

I guess in the end, it comes down in an effort to try to listen to some of these units and go with what sounds/works best for you.

That is just my two cents.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I have a few ways I can go right now. I have a few months to make my decision so keep the advice coming. Maybe in that few months I can make the money to afford the separates! Sunfire seems to be higher priced than some of the stuff you have mentioned and out of my price range, but just out of curiousity, what do you guys think of Sunfire separates as well as the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver?

Isn't the Sunfire ultimate receiver about $4k? For that kind of money, you can not only go seperates, but you can be well into the monoblock stage.

IMHO, once you pass $1k, you need to have seperates in mind. I'm not saying don't get anything for the $1k, but use that money towards something that will make a great pre/pro. For example, the Rotel and Denon receivers seem to be very well liked for pre/pros.

Because of your budget, I didn't give my usual response at first, but I will now. When you're auditioning receivers/pre-pros, check out the Marantz units, I couldn't be happier w/ mine.

John

yamaha.....IMO...I feel they make the best....Must be cause I own one...

but I feel peeps underate them or state things about them without having one.....but I am biased hehehe

good luck...and do shop around your local dealers....as they are most of the time knowledgeable and do help....

----------------

On 7/23/2004 11:48:41 PM boomer9911 wrote:

If you can still get it, the Marantz SR8200 would be a sweet match, trust me, or the new SR7400, might be abit weak for the RF7's IMO, but the SR9300 is a nice unit and would drive them well....
10.gif
----------------

If you've ever read any of my posts in other receiver threads, you know that I love my SR7400 dearly. I still think that I would try to reach for the seperates though. BTW, I would consider the Rotel a receiver now, and a pre/pro later. The Denons have very good reps for this as well, but the Rotel offers the "reassignment" flexibility that most others don't.

John