war songs

davmar

I thought allot over the weekend while listing to the 7000 random songs on my i-pod about anti war songs. I lived through the anti war in Viet Nam and earned the Purple Heart and the bronze star in that war thank you. I came up with some songs like

War Edwin Starr, Brothers in Arms Dire Straits, Find the cost of Freedom Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Russians Sting, Beautiful People Melanie,

The Dogs of War Pink Floyd , The "Fish" Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag Country Joe & The Fish, Bullet the blue sky U2

Voice of change Mason Proffet

DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately there is the thread over the weekend about a movie soundtrack, which I only read when I logged on to post this thread. This IS about the music; please keep it about the MUSIC. If you want to post an opposing view, post the MUSIC version. I just want a larger list of songs

Who Will Stop the Rain - CCR

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

The Ballad of John Walker Lindh - Steve Earle

Roger Waters - Amused to Death (the entire work is anti war)

The Wall - Pink Floyd (many anti war themes contained therein)

I'd Love To Change the World - Ten Years After

Forgot a few.....

These are all from the same band: British anti-establishment band XTC.

From "Black Sea" (IMO, a "must own"): Generals and Majors, Living in Another Cuba, Sgt. Rock (is going to help me)

From "English Settlement": Melt The Guns

From "Oranges and Lemons": Here Comes President Kill Again

And more that come to mind.....

Peter Gabriel: "Games Without Frontiers"

Grateful Dead: "My Brother Esau" and "Throwing Stones"

Great topic.

John Prine: Sam Stone

Can't remember the name of the song but the chorus line is:

"I used to sleep at the feet of Old Glory, and awake it the Dawn's Early Light, but to my suprise when I opened my Eyes I was the Victim of the Great Compromise"

Eric Burton: "Sky Pilot"

I think Pete Seeger "Stuck in the Big Muddy"

Arlo Guthrie: "Alice's Restaurant"

and, of course

"Eve of Destruction"

Quite an interesting thread.

But I am certain my song suggestions are going to fall on deaf ears (no pun intended -- esp. after you see my suggestions)

Easy pickin's for songs referring to war for the metal genre:

Slayer --

Angel of Death

Chemical Warfare

War Ensemble

War Zone

Mandatory Suicide

Ghosts of War

Metallica --

Disposable Heroes

One

Megadeth --

Killing is my business... and business is good!

Holy wars... Punishment Due

Rust in Peace... Polaris

Can't say that any of these songs are pro/anti war...

Just about WAR!!!11.gif

Enough for now.9.gif

----------------

On 7/20/2004 2:27:23 AM davmar wrote:

I thought allot over the weekend while listing to the 7000 random songs on my i-pod about anti war songs. I lived through the anti war in Viet Nam and earned the Purple Heart and the bronze star in that war thank you. I came up with some songs like

----------------

Although I am fully in the "'Bout damn time we went over there and started kicking some @$$" camp, but here are few I pulled from my own collection that I liked more for the music than the message:

Here are some that I think are "anti-war".

"The Winds of War" by Seventh Key on The Raging Fire

"Surgical Strike" by Queensryche on Rage for Order

"Blood" by Queensryche on Tribes

"Territories" by Rush on Power Windows

These are more of a historical basis:

"The Manhatten Project" by Rush on Power Windows

Just about the entire of The Glorious Burden by Iced Earth, especially "When The Eagle Cries". Also, on the second disc, the really long three-part "Gettysburg (1863)". Quite a piece of music there!

There are many songs simply about the glory of battle and the "good triumphs over evil" type ilk such as:

Several songs by HammerFall such as "On The Edge of Honor" on Crimson Thunder, and "Heeding the Call", and "Stronger Than All" (very pro-war), both on Legacy of Kings

"Accolade" and "Accolade II", both by Symphony X on The Devine Wings of Tragedy and The Odyssey respectively.

"The Mercenary" by Iron Maiden on Brave New World

Some songs I found are more about the fear of war, especially if war is the result of technology run amok (and being a software engineer working on defense project, believe me, I know this is all to real of a fear). It seems Rush used this topic quite a bit in there music

"Red Sector A" by Rush on Grace Under Pressure

"The Weapon" by Rush on Signals

are two that I can think of right off the top of my head.

That is all that I can think of. I know I have many more, but dang if I am going to dig through all those albums to find all the "war" songs.

But then gain, isn't the National Anthem pretty much a "war" song also? After all it is about how we pretty much survied a British bombardment on Fort McKinley.

Also to Add, "nuclearay" is correct. No shortage of "war" songs in the Metal Genre, both pro and anti!