got my k-horns hooked up

iwillwalk

got them hooked up by yard boy but after a few hours & many different stuff i can hear 1 a little louder than the other & it's driving me crazzzzy.could it be something as simple as the speaker wire not be connected all the way? does that make any since?

----------------

On 7/28/2004 7:45:45 PM iwillwalk wrote:

got them hooked up by yard boy but after a few hours & many different stuff i can hear 1 a little louder than the other & it's driving me crazzzzy.could it be something as simple as the speaker wire not be connected all the way? does that make any since?

----------------

As Klipschaholik says (in the other thread), he could'a hooked them up out of phase with each other, which often makes one speaker sound louder. It could get still more complicated: the top sections could be hooked up out of phase while the two bass horns are in phase, or vice versa.

The issue should probably be tackled with the simplest step first: reverse the main leads at the speaker on one side, see if that takes care of it. If it doesn't, someone may have to do further detective work to be sure both the top and the bass sections are in phase with each other, on both sides.

Color-coding of the wires is helpful, and should end up being attached in absolutely the same way on BOTH sides. Even so, I think one still has to be careful that the top and bottom sections are in phase with each other, and on both sides.

Larry

Just to throw my 2 cents in here....

I have found that aside from related phase issues, the interaction with the room and the corners in which they are incorporated have the most profound effect on the overall output.

If the corners they are in match indentically (ie. same size- 4' sidewall minimium - without obstuctions) and the nature of the furnishings is consistent between both sides, then there should be no discerable difference between them. IMO

If the above criterea has been met and a notable difference is still prevalent then I would say to check your gear first (polarity issues or weak links and so-forth).

If you still find that one is "louder" than the other, then I would suggest swapping channels to see if the problem follows the appropriate channel in question.

If it does..... gear issue. (mechanics of your gear or a failure in the related channel signal chain)

If not...... it's a room issue as it relates to acoustics.

Or..... a problem with one of your speakers (Which really isn't to common).

Seriously.

Just a thought....

Khorns are not shy in pointing out flaws in spacial acoustics.

They will sound great in any given space, but the smaller of a space you allow them the greater the chance for acoustical flaws, hence a funky or uneven sound.

I have my 57' Khorns in an etremely small space (12x15) and let me tell you........imagining and depth is totally bound to the nature of the recording venue in which they reproduce.

I have a sweet spot that is just large enough for me to fit in by myself. (girlfriends have to sit on my lap...not nessisarily a bad thing :) )

But....I have found that with Khorns, having a specific sweet spot isn't really nessisary given the fact of what they do in general.

I give up stereo imagery and spacial quality for a level previously unheard detail and articulation that just can't be found with any other loudspeaker I have sampled.

(and i've sampled alot)

It is a trade off that is entirely welcome given the fact that what I am experiencing is closer to what I want than anything else out there.

I hope you get it figured out.

Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Regards,

John.

Gary has a point; make sure all the drivers are working. Swap the speaker wires to make sure it's not the amp. But, even if all drivers are working, they might not have matched output. I had a similar issue on my '68 K-horns, and when I sent the K-77-Ms to BEC for diaphragm replacement, he also found that the output between the two tweeters was slightly different. He matched up the magnets between the two and now things sound even better.