Satalite Radio

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if anyone here has satalite radio, i have sirius and honestly the output is not the greatest but i think that it is worth its weight in gold, in the car i havn't listened to the radio since january and there is no comercials and what not, all i can say is that i love it, but i have one question does anyone know how cheaper power supplies often add a background distortion to music and what not, well i have the kenwood home kit and when i hook it up to my stereo i hear that god aweful noise adn there is no way around it because i can't condition the line to take the noise out and its driving me up the wall i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before i whip out the soldering iron and make my own.....

----------------

On 7/31/2004 9:32:29 PM Gramas701 wrote:

I don't know if anyone here has satalite radio, i have sirius and honestly the output is not the greatest but i think that it is worth its weight in gold, in the car i havn't listened to the radio since january and there is no comercials and what not, all i can say is that i love it,

----------------

I have XM Radio myself, which I had since March. It is indeed friggan awesome and worth every cent I paid for it, in my opinion. The vareity of the music, is awesome, plus that there are no commercials! I don't think I could ever go back to regular FM broadcast radio. Heck, just this past Thursday and Friday, XM-41 (The Boneyard) was playing non-stop Rush. That was friggan awesome! I've heard Rush songs on there that I've practically forgetten about. Also certainly got me psyched up for when I see them in concert this upcoming Tuesday.

----------------

but i have one question does anyone know how cheaper power supplies often add a background distortion to music and what not, well i have the kenwood home kit and when i hook it up to my stereo i hear that god aweful noise adn there is no way around it because i can't condition the line to take the noise out and its driving me up the wall i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before i whip out the soldering iron and make my own.....

----------------

What kind of background distortion are you getting? Is it a hum? If it is a hum, then you probably have a ground-loop in your system. If its static and what not, then it is probably interference.

Both of these can be tricky to fix. If it is a ground-loop, you can try unplugging various components and see if the hum goeas away. Also, you could try plugging the Kenwood unit in a different circuit than the rest of your gear and see if the problem goes away.

If the case of interference, you may have to play around with were to place the antenna. Also, make sure the antenna wire is not right next and running parallel to any power cords. Yes, I know that the satellite radio is a digital signal and should not have any interference, but then again, I've had a set of cheapy computer speakers actually pick-up and play one of the local radio stations.

Beyond that, I really don't have any other suggestions. Hopefully somebody else with more experience with this type of issue can chime in.

I have sirius radio and I have been very pleased with it. I chose Sirus for their sports programming. The music has exceeded my expectations. If i was to make on recommendation is wait until the all in one units are readily available. Current most headsets require a seperate receiver. the all in ones will will not need a seperate receiver it will be all inclusive. Some of the headset companies are switching to sirius due to XMs support of auto OEMs. this means the after markets companies are being snuffed out.

the reception is not perfect, on country roads where the trees hang over the road creates a situation for drop outs.

I found it took a little getting used to no commercials but then again that is the main I chose to pay for radio. And yes it is worth paying for. I do not need someone trying to sell me something 20 to 25 minutes of every hour.

Guest Anonymous

i think that the quality is good, but the sound is a little different than a cd, kind of like an lp to a cd, the same song recording and everything both sound good but they are different. thats what i think it is... i'm preety sure its not a ground loop because it was plugged into my panamax filter... the reason i know its the power supply is because if you have a cheap power supply in your computer and you hook it up to your stereo you get this mettallic background noise and its horrible... it sounds the exact same as that and i know that most of the time you can only pick that noise up on really sensitive speakers i.e klipsch.... i'm not exactly sure what to do other than to make my own that is nicer. i do have to say i love my sirius to death though...

----------------

On 8/1/2004 12:37:58 PM Cleve wrote:

How does satellite radio stack up to Digital Cable Radio, ie, Music Choice?

----------------

I have Music Choice as part of my DirecTV service.

Satellite Radio has many more channels than Music Choice does. Also, and this is the big thing, is that I cannot get Music Choice in my car. I honostly don't know if Music Choice is even available as a "stand-alone" service for typical John Q. Public consumers. They do offer "Business" plans if you want to pipe music into your store or restaurant, though. For non-business consumers, I've only seen it as part of digital cable or satellite TV programming packages.

However, the nice thing with Music Choice is that there is absolutly no breaks in the music. Yes, XM Radio, which is what I have, does sometimes break in with a DJ and in-house "Station Breaks" were they advertise upcoming special programming and the like. Music Choice is just straight music - no DJ's no "Station Breaks", and the like.

I personally went with XM Radio, because they seem to have a better selection of music. I have no interest in sports programming or talk radio. Also, the daily traffic reports on XM can be handy.

Also, my head-unit is an all-in-one XM reciever/AM/FM tuner, and CD player. It is an Alpine deck.

----------------

On 8/1/2004 11:29:25 PM iwillwalk wrote:

skonopa

what xm model do you have?

----------------

I have the Alpine CDA-9820XM head unit.

The sound quality has been really good. Unfortuantly, I had to swap one out already. On occasion, the unit would reset itself completely and I'd lose all my settings, including the time. One instance, the thing locked up completely when I inserted a CD and I had to shut off the whole car for a couple minutes to get it to reset. Lastly, the XM reciever section went south on me. It started to make some really nasty hissing/static noises on top of the XM programming.

Thankfully, the local installer swapped units - no questions asked. The current unit has been working flawlessly since (and sounds excellent), so I am hoping that I just got a very early model (since I did buy that literly the day they came out), or a rare dud, and they since worked the bugs out.

I've been seriously considering a subscription to satellite radio for my car. Is there any decent talk radio available? I would have no interest listening to the audio from CNN or Fox news, but if Rush Limbaugh is available on either provider, I'd subscribe this afternoon. 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

thye both have a lot of talk radio now, i noticed that xm uses sponsered stations and what not which means they have to stick to an agenda, where as sirius does their own thing all the time or so they claim,i advocate sirius just because the bandwith is higher and it sounds a little better

QUALITY: XM radio's is flat-out bad. I've heard Sirus' is better, but I don't know what to say about Sirus' programming.

The only reason I'm keeping the XM in my house is because of the programming. It's EXCELLENT!! I can live with the crappy quality (it sounds very 'digital' and compressed in the upper-mids. Doesn't have a full sound. The highs are about as unsilky as they come and it reminds me of an .mp3 sound) because of the wonderful programming.

• 1 year later...

I've been seriously considering a subscription to satellite radio for my car. Is there any decent talk radio available? I would have no interest listening to the audio from CNN or Fox news, but if Rush Limbaugh is available on either provider, I'd subscribe this afternoon. 9.gif

Rush Limbaugh does not need satellite radio. hell, he's on every other station.[:P]

I just recently purchased a new Acura which included a 3 month subscription to XM. After 2 months and 6000 miles, i have to say i'm not very pleased with XM programing. They do have a wide range of styles and a extensive play list, and the lack of commercials is refreshing. However, I'm not a fan of urban, country, or much jazz, so that eliminates many of their stations. Of the rock stations, i haven't really found a station which l really like the music. It seems to me that they play more obscure tracks and bands than not. The stations i do like are the XM Comedy (151?), XM Classics (110), and The Blend (44?). For office/home listening, I prefer using LaunchCast (Yahoo) for more focused channels.

-Dave