another afternoon with the VRDs...

Audio Flynn

I don't know if they're worth $600 (obviously they are to many) but they sure do make a difference. It just depends on your priorities and checking account. I'm just happy I've had the opportunity to find out what the hype is all about and realize that it's more than just hype.4.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/2/2004 10:34:00 AM garymd wrote:

I don't know if they're worth $600 (obviously they are to many) but they sure do make a difference. It just depends on your priorities and checking account. I'm just happy I've had the opportunity to find out what the hype is all about and realize that it's more than just hype.
4.gif
----------------

When they go back to their owner, will you go out and purchase a pair of your own?

When they go back to their owner, will you go out and purchase a pair of your own?

----------------

Piranha,

I won't pay $600 but I'd consider a pair in the $200 range on the used market.

Gullah,

You're quite welcome. Glad you're enjoying it. I know the quality sucks but I usually listen to those kinds of recordings in the car where it doesn't make much difference.

Not many people know what a great banjo picker Jerry was. He was an accomplished picker before he ever touched a guitar. Do you have any of the "Old And In The Way" CDs? Now that's some great stuff. Let me know if you want me to copy any for you. If you prefer to buy new I'd recommend "Breakdown" and the "Old And In The Way" debut album (cartoon cover). They toured for one summer in 1973 and recorded most of the shows. Jerry on banjo and vocals, David Grisman on mandolin, Vasser Clements on fiddle, John Kahn on bass and Peter Rowan on guitar and vocals. Killer bluegrass. Very unique style.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 12:53:04 PM NOSValves wrote:

Gary,

What IC's were in your system before changing ?

Craig

----------------

Kite string with tiny tin cans tied to the ends.9.gif

Good question Craig. Nothing outrageously expensive but I've tried a few different I/Cs in that spot. Monster cable (top-of-the-line sold at Tweeters - over $100 I think), the blue AR I/Cs sold at Best Buy ($25 range) and Radio Shack's top-of-the-line I/Cs (also $25-$30 range). I have some of the more expensive Monster "Reference A" being cut up for me right now (currently a 9 meter length) which I also tried. Josh is sending me a pair of his I/Cs to audition also ($250/meter price range). I want to make sure the improvement isn't due to using POS I/Cs prior to the Siltechs.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 5:59:08 PM NOSValves wrote:

I like my home brew just fine cost me about $15 to build LOL !! I guess I haven't matured completely yet
2.gif

----------------

I'm with you there Craig, except mine cost me less than that per pair. Beldon OFC 22ga silver plated shielded mike cable, bought 1000' on the bay for $3 plus $24shipping. I buy nice solder type gold plated RCAs on the bay $25/doz. That makes a dozen cables or six pairs $75. Come to think of it $12.50 isn't that far off $15.

That would be like the manufacturers parts cost. Added to that would be the cost of labor to assemble and test the cables, quality assurance, packaging and materials, rent, supervisors salaries, phone, electricity, taxes, insurance, office help and supplies, accountant, lawyer, shipping and sales let's say these add up to $15 put in a little something for the rep and the boss and we have a wholesale value to the distributer of $50 the distributor sells them to the retailer at his standard profit of 33% or $75 the retailer then doubles the price and we have $150 cables.

Put $100 worth of advertising hype on them at the manufacturer's level and we now have $600 cables!6.gif

Rick

I have been busy with company in from out of town.

AND

You guys hijack my thread and make it a IC discussion?

I for the life of me cannot understand how I motivated that.

Craig does not allow me to talk about ICs. Well maybe just a little.

But we avoid the speaker cable discussion altogether.

Let us just say his cables of all types are quite modest.

AND THE SYSTEM STILL CRANKS!2.gif

You will have to talk to Ron Welbourne if you want matching wood panels. This is my own pair and I drilled them before staining. I didn't think the grain would be so pronounced in the amp on the left looking at it before it was stained. It was a lesson learned but at least I learned it on my own pair 2.gif

Yep, I agree with dbflash. I'll post some pics of mine pre chrome as soon as I get the chance. 9.gif

And the sound they put out is unbelievable on big ole horns. I'll bet they will easily exceed my expectations when I get some Khorns in here. 1.gif That may be very soon 2.gif