7591 Tube Ebay auction caught my eye

HeritageBob

I saw this auction on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64629&item=5714525519&rd=1

I didnt know that JJ started making 7591's. I would be really interested in hearing from someone who eventually tries these out. For $70 a quad if they sound good it would be a great deal. I am also curious if JJ got them down to a respectable height for us Scott owners..

Bob

I have been looking at the JJ 7591s now for awhile and am awaiting some reviews myself.

I just bought some EH 7591 monster size valves last week. I am not that impressed. They were an improvement but just a slight one. Plus they bump into my trannies cause they are giant amazon size tubes 6.gif.

Can you offer some comments on the EHs? I just got them and I'd appreciate any reviews. Does anyone know if the JJs are much better?

Thanks

Yup they should be hitting the streets any day ! I'm pretty sure I have a more reliable source for hopefully less money. I'm waiting for the final pricing from 2 official JJ Telsa Dealers once they have them in there hands. I'll let everyone know what I find out when I know the low down. Notice the guy says they will be available sometime after the 15th !

Craig

Craigster!!!!!

I've got my Scott 222 turned up to 3 on the volume dial crankin' out Annie Lennox and can't imagine that you'd need more power than what the EL84s put out!

Once again thanks for getting both of my units up and runnin'!!!

I can't believe I wasted all of those years on SS!!! Yeow!!

Were these the new 7591s you mentioned when I was at your place?

I haven't hooked up the EICO yet. Could you shoot me the url for the place that has the fancy terminals and a 50 ohm 25 watt (adjustable) pot for the center channel?

Thanks!

Jim

Yeah,

Available after the 15th, but from where? Isn't the guy in Germany or something like that? I agree, for $70.00 I would just try them. BUt I couldn't wait and instead I tried the EHs. The more I listen to them and fine tune the equipment, the more I'm starting to like them.

Jim,

The fancy connectors are avaialable from http://www.hndme.com/storeconnectorseconomy.html scroll down and you will see them pictured the part number you want is 5-Phil-45282

50 Ohm 25 watt "adjustable" control is not a easy task. The 50 ohms is no problem but the 25 watt is a major problem I'm not sure that anything like that is even made these days. I think you may be able to get away with a smaller value to find the sweet spot to match the center to the L&R channel then remove the control measure its value and buy the needed value for a perminent solution. The EICO ST70 center channel setup is really kind of strange. I believe your going to be using the Khorn as your left and right with Cornwall center. I would try the combo with out the resistance and see if you get lucky and it just happens to mesh well. At least see what it sounds like before you proceed further with the center channel quest with that amp.

This should work just do not crank up the volume its only 5 watts but this should allow you to get the resistance value required from www.mouser.com Part Number 313-2401-50 it will have 3 solder lugs just use the center and either end lug leave the other one hanging or taped off to keep it from shorting on the chassis.

Craig

The fancy connectors are avaialable from http://www.hndme.com/storeconnectorseconomy.html scroll down and you will see them pictured the part number you want is 5-Phil-45282

A neat part, much better than the lighter-weight connectors that Craig put on my Scott three years ago. He has now found better parts. For my Mc I found a pair or spade with ends that could be crimped on. I crimped them and then added some solder and they work great, especially with 11.5 awg wire. Unfortunately, mine came from Active Surplus on Queen St. W., Toronto. They do not have a website, but it is a neat place with new and used parts. I have picked up some interesting stuff there over the years.

In additional searching, check out http://www.dougstubes.com. He has the JJ 7591 quads at the same $70 a quad, and he's in NY. He also has the new EH 7868 tubes for a very respectable $78 a quad. It's certainly better than the $100-$140 I've seen for the EH quads on other sites. I may order a set of the 7868 for my Dad's Fisher 400 to see how they sound in comparison to NOS.

Jhawk just listed one of my sources old Doug was suppose to let me know they were actually in stock. If enough people want to get together and buy a quanity of these let me know I think I can get a slightly cheaper price on them. I also am waiting to hear from one more source.

Craig

Craig-

While I don't need any 7591s, I would be interested if you can get the 7868s any cheaper. In talking with Paul over at Bizzy Bee, he really likes the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS as a substitute for the Tele smooth plate 12AX7 in the Fisher receivers, and Doug has those as well. So if anyone would be interested in getting some of those...I'd add into the order. He also has the Sovtek 5AR4 for a pretty good price, so this could be a big tube order for folks.

If not, I'll just put in an order on my own.

I heard from Doug and the good word is yes I can get us a better deal. The bad word is the better deal will be sweater if we wait till he has them in quanities. At this time his supply is small. I will wait to hear from my other source and report back I believe he hasn't even recieved any 7591 yet.

Craig