La Scalas and Subwoofers

Mike Frankel

I would like to inquire as to how many of you fine people are running La Scalas in a two channel setup and find the need for a subwoofer.

I am about to get a pair of La Scalas and intend to use them for a two channel system.

What are the pros and cons of adding a sub?

Thanks for any help on this.

Best,

Mike Frankel

When running LaScalas as mains, I found that they were improved immensely with a subwoofer.

That said, adding a nice sub to the cost of LaScalas is getting one closer in range to Klipschorns on a good day. If you've got the corners, go for the Khorns.

I myself see no need at all for a subwoofer in my setup. My setup is not the norm though since my Lascalas have the benefit of 3 walls to help reinforce the bass. My speakers measure near dead flat down to 40 Hz but I have also set them up in a normal setting and found I didn't find them bass lacking but this is to my taste. One thing I can say I would never do is put anything but a very quick and tight performing Sub with a Lascala. Most standard run of the mill subwoofers are really designed to do the Boom Boom for movies. This type of Sub will never blend well with a Lascala.

Craig

----------------

On 8/11/2004 6:58:06 PM Mike Frankel wrote:

Unfortunately, only have one corner in the room that the speakers are going into. That is whay I going for the La Scalas. But it wou;ld be great if the addition of a sub would bring them close to K-Horns.That is my sincere hope.

Thanks

MIke
----------------

Mike, your expectation of good results can indeed be met. As Craig mentions, the run of the mill HT sub would not be satisfactory. I was exceptionally pleased when using a Cambridge Soundworks P1000, which can be dialed in nicely to pick up where the La Scalas roll off on the bottom end. In addition to good sound, to my ears, it is controllable from a control box placed at a convenient location like an end table close to your listening position, also an IR remote.

I'm sure some folks have had experience with some of the Klipsch subs, which would also be good candidates.

One thing about the Soundworks subs, the user has got a 30 or 45 no questions asked return policy from hifi.com in the case you should decide it's not the solution you like. They may have good deals on open box units as well.

One thing I can say I would never do is put anything but a very quick and tight performing Sub with a Lascala. Most standard run of the mill subwoofers are really designed to do the Boom Boom for movies. This type of Sub will never blend well with a Lascala.

++++++++++++++++++

Mr. Parrot and I had a lengthy discussion on this.

tradeoff

more below 40 hz thump may cause a system to be less musical and have directional bass.

I have not auditioned subs in a bout 2 years but most of the ported subs are very slow. Trey can demonstrate with data SVS is quite distorted.

Sealed cabinet B&K seemd the fastest to me.

Making a sub seamless in a 2 channel setup is not an easy task. Room placement may be unforgiving.

I know a guy who took his KSW-15 out of his LaScala based system and never loked back.

An upgrade with associated risk from my persective.

I too have La Scalas, and even though they are not sposed to have good bass, I have had some very good times with bass players riffs like Chris Squire from Yes, Tony Levin from Peter Gabriel, and the Multitude of bass players on Gov't Mule Deepest end. I am playing the speakers with a Manley Stingray amp (thanx JT) and I did get a cheap Equalizer, which I keep everything flat but distend the high end a little.

How high do you guys prop up the front of the speakers though I have been hearing allot about this in other circles, mine are up about two inches, I have been hearing around four inches?

I don't run a sub on my 2 Ch. LaScala system. Currently I have a Scott LK-72 in use and am using a DBX-1231 EQ to actually reduce the bass significantly. Craig and I went through this discussion last night.

This is due to the amp having some excess bass output. However, this amp is a great match for the LaScalas, and I recommend matching the Las with an amp known for some good bottom end. That will sure help. You could end up with too bright a system if the amp is not matched well. Even adding a sub then won't sound quite right.

Like is usually the case: some people think subs do blend with Heritage speakers, other folks don't 9.gif .

Personally I am very happy with my Khorn/SVS combo and yes, a good sub and the La Scalas are very close to.....Khorns and a sub9.gif2.gif9.gif .

Wolfram

Mike,

I currently run a Velodyne F1500 with my LasScala's and find it blends well in my room.I have to keep the level of the Velodyne up around 6 on the level control and x-over at about 60hz.It will be different for every setup so a little experimintation will be in order but can be a plus for the sound.I have owned LaScala's for about 18 yr.The first 5 or so without a sub.When I did get one...WOW.I didnt realize how much bass they were missing at the time.They have bass but it seems you have to really crank on them to get it.At moderate levels the sub really fills in something that seems to be missing.They say that HF give the sound a sense of presense.I believe the bass adds a certain foundation to the sound as well as presense.

Greg

I find LaScalas (and I've owned a couple of pairs of them) dreadfully bass-shy. This gives the effect that someone is twisting a wire in my ear.

I would think they'd HAVE to sound better with decent subs. However the horn-loading of the LaScala bass probably means the sub used would need to be high output and low distortion. Something like the twin JBL Pro 4648s I used with my A5s would do the job. Or a Labhorn or an Edgar Seismic. Or a Servo-Drive Contrabass.

However one fella argued quite well here that a small DR sub could actually work well given that the sub works in such a small bandwidth. I dunno how it would sound but the fella's arguement gave me pause.

I had La Scalas (1974 vintage) for a few years. I would *NEVER* have had any fun with them had I not added a subwoofer. I don't watch many movies, probably 98% of the time used them for music, two channel only. I listen to a wide range of pop / rock (Dead, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Garbage, Radiohead, Luna, Neil Young, Fleedwood Mac and ELP probably top the list most times) with some occational classical and the odd 50's/60's vocal (Judy Garland and Elvis) thrown in.

In most rooms, the response from La Scalas drops like a stone below 50ish hertz. If your music contains any really deep bass from synthesizers, organs or the like, you will simply not hear it without a sub.

I used an REL Storm, which is very definately in the music-oriented camp as opposed to movie booming madness. I found it to be a great matchup, so long as I didn't go crazy with the volume levels. Once you start really cranking a La Scala (or Belle or KHorn for that matter) no sub, short of something truly extreme, is going to keep up.

Playing a La Scala / Subwoofer setup, properly balanced, then turning off the sub in mid-song envokes the "What the h3ll just happened?" response every time.

Sounds like lots of LaScala / Sub fans out there. Sometime I'll have to give it a try. I'm sure it does what everyone is saying.

Hey, has anyone ever put their LaScalas out doors and listened to them from a distance, say 30 yards or more away? For those who have, what do you think about the bass response then? What did the neighbors think? 6.gif Did the cops come?9.gif

I'm sure in most rooms a Sub would be a plus. But like I said it better be quick! If I ever go that route it will be with the new Klipsch THX Ultra dual setup. This setup leaves all others in the dust! If your going to do it...do it right.

Craig

In the theatre I used to work in, we paired four LaScalas with two Cerwin-Vega "Earthquake" subs (massive folded horns with 18" drivers)(these really were the subs sent out with roadshow productions of "Midway," not the puny ones you see today. We got them from a cinema surplus house. They were made out of 1" thick plywood and were about 20" high and four feet square.) They weren't exactly practical for a home environment, but boy, what a great sounding combination.

When trying to blend a sub with LaScalas, I'd make sure everything had similar dynamic range.

Thanks for all the replies. I have heard these La Scalas outdoors when I first saw them at about 30 yards, and they sounded great. Of course the owner turned them down before the neighbors complained, but they sounded powerful and clear!!!!

I gues I will listen to them first home, and see what I feel they need. I will of course, stay with a musical sub, and will check out the suggestions, from all the members who mentioned their favorite.

KLIPSCH heaven-here I come!!!!!!!

Mike

I would suspect Las might be better with a good sub... I initially had mine running in 2ch and they sounded great. I then re-hooked up my 15" Tannoy Golds and could not listen to the Las anymore. The Las sounded dreadfully midrangey and too forward sounding. Now...the Klipschorns I recently bought are a nice well-rounded speaker. 3.gif

Sounds like a sub is the way to go. I am looking at Sunfire(for size), REL, and Velodyne.

Are there any comments on specific models that may match up well with the La Scalas?

SDoes anyone other than Craig ahve any experience with the new Klipsch THX Ultra subs, and are they good for music?

Thanks Again,

Mike