Cornwall Verticals on ebay

Budman

Frzninvt

I stand corrected. My estimate of 1961 was based on yours being built in 1962 and assuming "all" 1962 "production" had an "A" in the serial number. And maybe they still were. They are quoting "ship" date here. Maybe Klipsch built up some inventory before getting orders. Wonder where they stored them, if so.

But this is all good, we've just peeled another layer off the Klipsch Onion.2.gif

Mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this is an estate sale or moving to retirement home sale? In any case, does the seller even know the real vintage value of what he has? Regardless of condition, might this be a good purchase for someone to revamp or just treasure the sound for the value, ignoring the visible problems? I ask because I got my Corns from literally a 'fire' sale for $300 the pair. Still ugly but sound great!

OK, I got some photos from the seller's son and the S/N's are indeed 284 & 285. Now here is my take on this, despite the fact that the Klipsch records state a shipping date of 4/63 Steve said that was the last time that they left the factory. The ship date on mine were 10/63 yet my S/N's reflect 1962. I did not get a photo of the insides unfortunately but from the photos I am pretty sure the backs have never been removed.

I think Good2Bhome is right and these babies are 1961's and the reason being is that mine which are 3A26 & 3A27 are 1962's and the first year Klipsch started using the Alpha characters as date of manufacture idenitifier's in the S/N. So since these have no Alpha characters in the S/N I am pretty certain they predate mine. So this makes them the oldest Cornwall PAIR that I am aware of.

The plot thickens! Whomever gets these will then have the bragging rights as to owning the oldest PAIR of Cornwalls that I and the forum folks are currently aware of. Damn!

CB...do the labels on your 62's say CORNWALL or CORNWALL II. Both of my 60's series cornwalls have the II designation. I noticed the seller's labels say only CORNWALL.

I don't know the significance of it, but I sure would like too.

Gilbert Thank You for the pictures!!

As to the "II" on the Cornwall serial number label:

I've see verticals without it, as my 1974 Verticals are, (which was the last year verticals were in regular production).

I've also seen "Cornwall II" printed in black on the label, like the 1967 pair your bought in Denton, TX.

I've also seen a 1964 vertical with a rubber stamped "II" in red after the printed "Cornwall".

My guess is the early ones like "284 & 285", it was not yet an issue for the company. Later when it was an issue they had the labels printed with "Cornwall II" for the verticals. During those times when they were out of the proper "Cornwall II" label they just rubber stamped the "II" on the regular label and/or maybe toward the end they also did that. At the very end they just didn't do it.

Edited addition:

Another possibility is they started out with none, then used the red rubber stamped "II" and when they saw they was enough demand had official labels printed "Cornwall II", toward the end, when there was less demand and they ran out of "Cornwall II" labels, they just used the plain "Cornwall" label. After thinking about it this sounds more likely.

Hope this helps and again thanks for the pictures!

Mike

Gilbert, mine have the Cornwall II on the label. It is starting to fade some though. I thought that may be the case with these but from the photo it does not appear that the II was ever there. Mine have the painted on stenciled arrows just like those. My '68's has a paper label that indicates placement direction.

Thanks for the photos Gilbert. If those are rough condition, then mine are definitely 'dragged through the mud' condition'. How many loyal Forum members will be bidding on these babies? I'd like to get my HT in an all-Heritage condition (thanks for the advice FRZ, sorry I was so hard headed), but don't want to big against a brother. I'd gladly love to get hold of these and have the ability and resources to recondition these along with my pair.

If, however a Forum brother such as Gilbert values the historical value of these so greatly, I will gladly bow out of any bidding war. No point of running up the price. Perhaps another gracious Forum member would sell me another pair.

Michael

Mike.....don't worry about a bidding war. I am going to bid on them, and I'll only bid at the last second. I won't get into a bidding war with anyone, been there done that and didn't like it.

I suggest you go ahead and bid. If you keep putting off your bids for someone on the Forum or anything else, you'll never get a pair. IMO there is definitely no advantage to premature bidding, unless your going to be out of town or away from a PC on the closeing date. Or you could just use auction sniper. Good luck, and I don't care if you or everybody on the forum bids, help yourself.

See Ya!, and good luck on the bid.

Hello all just back from Vacation and I see a old set of Cornwalls are stirring things up a bit.

Pretty cool and in Boston ,I live only 20 miles from Boston.

They look like 61 Cornwalls.

My 62 has the pie logo. plus I think it has a letter in front of the #.

My 60 cornwall is # 118 dated April 15 1960.

Hope this helps date them.

Klipschfoot.

I think some of it is people who hear these with good equipment, just DROOL over the sound. Seeing how they do not make Cornwalls in production any more, a pair in very good condition are like a prized violin. And a lot cheaper and better sound wise than many 2K +$$$ speakers. Something is just right about a big box - big sound speaker IMO in todays environment.

For some of us who like/love Cornwalls, they are an incredible find.

Hi guys, here's a shot of my CW II label. You can see the exterior and interior shots by clicking on the link below. Click on "photos" next to the Cornwall II on the web page.

These II's up for sale look pretty rough. I think $650 or so is a fair price, but beyond that might be a bit of a stretch. These will need some serious refinishing to be presentable.

For what it's worth, I bought my II's from a fellow here in Boston (Cambridge, actually) three years ago. They're pretty mint and I paid $1000 for them. They DO sound wonderful.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

post-4827-13819257477402_thumb.gif

Khorn 58, I was hoping that you would chime in. Strange that your single '62 has the pie slice logo. My '62's have the same logo as the '61's up for auction. I have thought about them since they are older but my '62's are in such fabulous shape. The Walnut is dark and lusturous on them, and I don't have the time to deal with getting those refinished. The top on the one looks like the veneer is close to being shot and may need replacing.

Whoever gets them will have a piece of history and will be able to take the bragging rights from me as having the oldest Cornwall PAIR on the forum. Am am happy now since I will have 4 Khorns and still have my '62 Corns so all is good.

For those interested, this is what the inside of those '61's will look like. They have the same driver compliment and crossover as mine. Here is a link to a few photos of mine inside and out. I am going to replace the ratty cane grills with new Klipsch OEM black to match the rest of my speakers.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=29044&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={FF3AD251-0F16-4CB4-B52A-321676031DFF}

Good luck to all on these, I will be watching them.